Your Book Activity - September 2015

Athena

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Asking for It last night. Totally see what Noll means - the characters are dull, dull, dull! :thud:

Stick with it. After the actual event, about halfway through, I think the description of the aftermath is actually superb. It's almost stream-of-consciousness, repetition and disjointed thoughts, and covers the reactions of people on a personal, local and national scale. I also realised how clever it was to make the main character so unlikeable. It ramped my opinion of the book up from about 3.5 stars to 4.5 stars. Hope you enjoy the rest :)

I finished the above, Asking For It, last night. Really enjoyed the second half. Nearly finished Beyond the Great Indoors, about to dive into that now with a nice cup of Lemsip. :coffee1:

I also got Alive by Scott Sigler, for a bit of new dystopia, and will start that today along with The Enemy by Charlie Higson.

I finished Sleeping on Jupiter by Anuradha Roy last night, but it didn't really do a lot for me. I understood some of the issues she was trying to tackle - such as gender-based violence - and the prose was visceral and probing, yet it didn't hit me very hard. Perhaps I've been spoiled of late after finishing Hanya Yanagihara's incredible A Little Life.

The Chimes by Anna Smaill next. Seems like it could be an original and interesting take on dystopian fiction.

I'm currently reading Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George 3: De Knal in het Heelal (George and the Big Bang), which is nice so far, though at the moment I'm not liking it as much as book 1 (it's still nice though). Stupidly I didn't borrow book 2 from the library while I could have :doh:.

I have a lot of reviews to write this week and I've bought some books for great prices (so I'll catalogue those).

Wasn't getting on well with The Chimes - but will persevere soon - so made a start on another 2015 Man Booker nominee, The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma. About halfway through after this morning's commute and really enjoying it. Can see why she's being dubbed as the heir to Chinua Achebe's throne. 

The Chimes by Anna Smaill next. Seems like it could be an original and interesting take on dystopian fiction.

That sounds interesting, too bad you weren't getting along with it so well.  Reminds me of The Giver, in a way.

I'm currently reading Lucy Hawking and Stephen Hawking - George 3: De Knal in het Heelal (George and the Big Bang), which is nice so far, though at the moment I'm not liking it as much as book 1 (it's still nice though). Stupidly I didn't borrow book 2 from the library while I could have :doh:.

I have a lot of reviews to write this week and I've bought some books for great prices (so I'll catalogue those).

We just pulled that book (book 1) out of the "school work" box, we are waiting til she is a bit older for it, but we are excited about reading them/ it to her!  I can't wait to see what new books you got!  :)

Im re-reading inso_zpsbxuxflws.jpg

Hey- nice to see you around again!

I've started The Stand - forgotten how good it is. :boogie:

Maybe I will get to this in October... Hmmm....  I am glad you are enjoying it again.

I am reading Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall, about an overweight Puerto Rican- Polish teenager.  I can't help compare it to Louise O'Neil's Only Ever Yours.

Has anyone noticed how pricey Kindle books are getting?  The new Jack Reacher is 15 dollars :o

Edited by Anna Begins

That sounds interesting, too bad you weren't getting along with it so well.  Reminds me of The Giver, in a way.

I think it was just a mood thing, I only managed 10 or so pages. I'll get back to it - can see it being one of those books that takes a little getting into but then is good once you're used to the style and ideas. I've never heard of The Giver (was there a film? The name does ring a bell). Just looking it up though, the memory thing does sound similar to The Chimes.

Im re-reading inso_zpsbxuxflws.jpg

Hey, nice to see you again!

We just pulled that book (book 1) out of the "school work" box, we are waiting til she is a bit older for it, but we are excited about reading them/ it to her!  I can't wait to see what new books you got!  :)

I hope she will enjoy it when she's a bit older :). So far book 3 is not as good as book 1 in my opinion. I am reading book 3 in Dutch (translation) whereas I read book 1 in English, so it could be partially due to that. But the information seems to be a bit more dumped a little bit randomly into the story (in book 1 it was more fluid). A sentence of the story will be cut off at the end of the page, then there's 5 pages of information, and then the sentence (and the story) continues. It's a bit awkward having to keep flicking back and forth. Bits of the information are confusing me too, but since I didn't read book 2 it could be that those things were explained in that book. I shall have to borrow it from the library some time when they have it, to find out. I missed some of the events in book 2, too. The book is still nice though, I'm just not enjoying it as much as the first one.

Has anyone noticed how pricey Kindle books are getting?  The new Jack Reacher is 15 dollars :o

It seems that ebooks are the same price as paperbooks nowadays, or sometimes they are actually more expensive than paperbooks. The ones that are quite cheap, on Amazon at least, are usually from self-published or lesser well known authors, as far as I can tell. Most books published by big publishers are generally not cheap, unless it's on a special deal or something.

Finished The Fishermen last night - and thought it was terrific, actually. Moved on this morning to the second DIscworld novel, The Light Fantastic. I can't believe I've only ever read the first in this series, but I hope to rectify it in the coming months - and probably throughout 2016.

I've started reading a book I spotted on Goodreads called The Long Way To A Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. The title and cover caught my eye. Got it for my tablet, and so far (100 pages in) I am absolutely loving it - even though its Sci-Fi! It's like a Sci-Fi tv show, in that it has a lot of different species and is pretty character driven, rather than focusing on the science aspects. It's quite visual. Surprised by how much I'm enjoying it!

Moved on this morning to the second DIscworld novel, The Light Fantastic. I can't believe I've only ever read the first in this series, but I hope to rectify it in the coming months - and probably throughout 2016.

Ah, you have a lot of joy to come! Discworld just gets better and better as you go through the series :)

Ah, you have a lot of joy to come! Discworld just gets better and better as you go through the series :)

That's what I've heard. I feel privileged to have so many ahead of me.

Funnily enough I was reading it on the train into work this morning and laughed aloud repeatedly while doing so. Got some strange looks from fellow commuters, but I'm sure they would understand if they knew I was reading Pratchett. :lol:

I've never heard of The Giver (was there a film? The name does ring a bell). Just looking it up though, the memory thing does sound similar to The Chimes.

Yes, it was with Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep.  It was Bridge's project, as he really liked the book, but I read an interview with him that said he was disappointed in the movie and it wasn't what he envisioned.

The new Jack Reacher is out :exc: 10 pages in and Reacher is already in trouble.  Oooohhhh yaaaaa.

And what a nerd, I pre-ordered yesterday so I could get it last night, instead of today :P

Reading The Tent, The Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy … it's bloody brilliant!!!!  She's about the same age as me, and as a child, my earliest holidays were camping in the UK, so I can totally relate to all the stories.  It's so funny, and I'm just loving it.  Can't believe I've waited this long to start it, especially as I loved her children's books so much, and it's not completely brightening up my week. :smile2: