Pets - 2015

frankie

Well, it was worse. This time he didn't obey me at all and didn't want to walk. The chew toy was good at first, him biting on to that and not me, but as he has that pent up energy, he got really excited about tug-of-war and soon thought I was a better toy than his chew toy. I got nipped bad. I have bruises on my arms, back, thighs... It was all I could do to get him home. He even destroyed my glove, a thick one which I thought would protect me from his teeth. 

I took him back to his owners and told her that I can't do it anymore and that was that. Felt like absolute crap after that :( I've gone over it my head, though, and I don't think I'm too traumatized. 

Aw frankie :empathy: , so sorry to read that things became worse with Moses, but you definitely made the right choice with not going through the biting etc. any more. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie, I'm so sorry to hear it didn't work out with the walk. It's not your fault though! How a dog acts depends as well on how his or her owners trained him, and on his / her personality etc. Training a dog is hard, and because you were only around Moses for a bit of the time, it's hard to make massive changes. I know I would've probably felt the same you do and I'm sorry you had to go through that :(. I hope it will go better with your next dog walk with another dog.

Chalie, your dogs are beautiful :). It's nice to see the children in the photos, too :).

Here are some photos of Boris and Pamuk, though some of you have already seen them on Facebook:

Pamuk:

984313_650980455006971_7291100024365397659_n.jpg

Boris (after spending some time in the forest and playing around with mud and digging holes):

10888512_650978655007151_5253264156851632695_n.jpg

10429842_650978685007148_2580826709474128307_n.jpg

Aw, sorry to hear things didn't work out with Moses, but I think you made the right decision. :empathy: You can't risk getting hurt more! He sounds quite scary. :lurker:  You really threw yourself in the deep end with that type of dog, and you gave it a 'red hot go'.  :yes:  It sounds like he needs to be properly trained ASAP, before any other dog walkers are employed! Like Gaia said, there's only so much you can do yourself to try and train the dog when you only spend a short time together each day. I'm glad it doesn't seem to have brought back bad memories associated with that breed, and I hope it hasn't put you off trying again with another dog breed (or the same breed, but one that has already been trained).

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your words  :friends0:   I'm feeling quite normal about it now, I think having a good cry about it on Thursday helped, and talking about it on here and with a few friends. Certainly shows that one ought not to keep things to oneself and go around them in circles. And I appreciate having been able to talk about this with you, you guys rule!!  :flowers2:  :flowers2:

And thanks for the doggy pictures, chalie and Athena! :D You lucky devils for having such great doggy friends :smile2: The pictures have cheered me up, it's what one needs on a Monday morning! And chalie, it was fun to see your Aussie dogs on FB in the Aussie Day 'thread' :D 

That's his face and position when he's been naughty.  :giggle: I had to yell at him for knocking the toilet paper into the tub and ruining it (he loves licking plastic bags... its kitty crack to him... and had been licking the toilet paper bag I'd set on the edge of the tub). He's a bit like a 2 yr old in the sense that if he knows he's been naughty he'll come up pouting until I comfort him so he doesn't feel like he's been naughty anymore. He'll jump up, lay so close to me that he's practically melding into me, and purr as loudly as he can.  :giggle: Can't stay cross with him for more than a minute or two, lol.

Sorry about Moses Frankie. I hope you try again one day :)

All those lovely pictures of doggies :D

Whinny is one of those cats eh? My Eddie is as good as gold but he doesn't take no for an answer when he wants to cuddle. 

No? To cuddling? You can say no? :D Eddie is so adorable. 

Athena, now that I've learned what breed of dog yours is, I've been seeing Kommadors (spelling?) everywhere! Lol! I've seen at least 2 different posts of them on Twitter in the last 24 hours. Funny how that happens.

Athena, now that I've learned what breed of dog yours is, I've been seeing Kommadors (spelling?) everywhere! Lol! I've seen at least 2 different posts of them on Twitter in the last 24 hours. Funny how that happens.

That is pretty nice :)! I think it's spelled Komondors. Yep, I checked it on Wikipedia, that seems to be the correct English and Dutch spelling. They are a unique breed. Boris is huge, it can be intimidating! Though I'm less fond of his 'stubborn' character sometimes, these types of dog want to make their own decisions rather than listen to you. They will obey your rules once they've learned them but it takes them a while to learn them. In retrospect I don't think my parents (and I) were the best family to train him, and to be honest he was already four months old when we got him, so that didn't help. That said, we adopted Pamuk when she was I think nine months and she has learned a lot. I think she's pretty smart. Boris is smart too, did you know he can open doors on his own? It can be a bit annoying sometimes :lol: but also endearing and cool that he can do that. But Boris generally takes a while to come to a solution, he's a bit slow :P. Like, if I ask him to come inside he always needs some time to think about it (whereas Pamuk will come straight away if she wants to). But I'm amazed by his door opening skills, so given enough time he is smart enough to work out it :). Sorry I rambled a bit :blush2:.

Heh, my first ever car was a Ford Taurus... so I named him Boris. Boris the Taurus.  :giggle:  It is definitely a much better name for a dog, though. :D

Melodious, hehe, my arm gets tired, too. Winny often falls asleep on his back next to me while I lay on my stomach so I hold him like a child does a teddy bear. He'll wrap an arm around mine and if I try to pull away he tightens his grip and snuggles his little kitty head into my hand. Cuteness > Comfort. 

The boyfriend has his heart set on a husky puppy someday. I've already decided if we ever get married a husky will be my wedding gift to him. He's constantly talking about our future husky (he'd also settle for a Shiba Inu or an Eskimo dog) and how much the cats are going to hate us.  :giggle:

Melodious, hehe, my arm gets tired, too. Winny often falls asleep on his back next to me while I lay on my stomach so I hold him like a child does a teddy bear. He'll wrap an arm around mine and if I try to pull away he tightens his grip and snuggles his little kitty head into my hand. Cuteness > Comfort. 

The boyfriend has his heart set on a husky puppy someday. I've already decided if we ever get married a husky will be my wedding gift to him. He's constantly talking about our future husky (he'd also settle for a Shiba Inu or an Eskimo dog) and how much the cats are going to hate us.  :giggle:

He he he I do that too. It's disgustingly adorable  :D

Huskies are irresistible aren't they? Poor Winny :P  

Abby, Winny's so cute! :wub: I like kitties who like to cuddle. I wouldn't mind it if Winny took me hostage!

Sorry about Moses Frankie. I hope you try again one day 

Thanks! I still have the ad on the website and whenever there's someone looking for a dog walker in my area I get a notice in my e-mail, so maybe something will come up :) 

Yesterday I got to meet three dogs that live in this building. I've seen them loads of times before, but this time we happened to be inside in the hallway at the same time. I'd taken out the trash and came in from the back door and noticed that two of the dogs were inside, and the third one was out, and his leash had gotten tangled somehow and the owner was trying to untangle it. The dog that was closest to me, and well inside the building, kept looking at me all friendly and cocking his head this way and that, and I was like 'oh helloooooh!' :D I pushed the button for the elevator and was waiting for it, and when the doors opened, I didn't realize that the elevator was there already but thought it was upstairs and pushed the button again, and that went on for a few times before I realized it was there and I thought I might as well get in, the lady's taking her sweet time outside, untangling the leash, and I was feeling too shy to say hello. When I got in the elevator, one of the dogs came in though :D The one whose leash was tangled, the owner had slipped him off it :D So I went to stand in the doorway so the elevator doesn't close and said to the lady that one of her dogs had followed me in :D The dog's name was Romeo. Then they all got in and the one who'd been looking at me put his front paws on my legs and was like 'hellooooo pleased to meet you ma'am?!' and I was like 'awwwwww you doggies!'. :wub: The lady apologized for the dogs getting too close to me and I said I didn't mind in the slightest and started petting them. Wonderful dogs! The woman said they are really friendly and like people. I said that's a very good thing, good boys! And she said sometimes they are too friendly for her liking, because they want to say hello to everyone, even the drunks in the park :D Awwwww :) 

I have to google the breed. No idea what it is. 

Ooooh Shiba Inus!! :wub:

doge-cookie.jpg

Such doge, many pet. Wow.

Edited by frankie

Boris is such a cool name for a dog :)

Thanks :)! His original owners named him 'bodyguard' which we thought was too long a name for a dog (it works best with one or two syllables, for dogs, I've read). So we had to come up with a name that sounded somewhat similar to make it easier for him. We named him 'Boris' which he quickly learned to be his name.

Heh, my first ever car was a Ford Taurus... so I named him Boris. Boris the Taurus. :giggle: It is definitely a much better name for a dog, though. :D

The boyfriend has his heart set on a husky puppy someday. I've already decided if we ever get married a husky will be my wedding gift to him. He's constantly talking about our future husky (he'd also settle for a Shiba Inu or an Eskimo dog) and how much the cats are going to hate us. :giggle:

Thanks! An interesting thing is that in Dutch Boris is pronounced slightly differently than in English, so when I'm on my own with Boris I tend to use the Dutch pronounciation, but when I'm with my boyfriend and with Boris, I pronounce Boris' name in English. It's not a big difference and Boris knows both of them as they sound quite similar but not entirely, but I find it interesting.

I think husky's look really cute! So if / when you get one, I hope you enjoy spending time wtih him / her. I have heard though that they're not the easiest dogs to train, so maybe keep that in mind.

Frankie, it's nice you met some new dogs :)! Nice image, too!

Frankie, sorry it didn't work out with Moses.....he sounds like a handful, and you shouldn't be too hard on yourself for it. I think even people with a lot of experience with dogs would struggle with a very hyper and untrained GSD. They are big dogs as well, so harder to handle. I have to admit they aren't one of my favourite breeds (my parents had two), and am always a bit wary when we see one while we are out with Reuben.

I would say a lot of his behaviour is to do with how he is handled throughout the day by his owner and if they haven't set firm ground rules, then you can't be expected to have a perfectly behaved dog when you walk him. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, and I don't think GSDs are the best for novice dog-owners (I don't know if the owner had GSDs before).

The biting and nipping sounds painful. Reuben did that a lot (labradors are notorious for it :D ), but never while we were walking him.....when we are out he is only focused on his ball. :D  He is still quite mouthy (even though he is now 3 years old), and when we are play-fighting he always like to nibble on our hands, but he has a very soft-mouth. He was a bit difficult to walk on the lead when he was a pup, and it took him months to get it (and he still isn't brilliant, unless it is his routine walk around the block. Any other time, he knows he goes off-the-lead, so is often pulling until we can let him loose :sarcastic: )....he would have these little hyper moments where he would just go spinning in circles on the end of the lead, once nearly darting onto the road when I didn't have the leash short enough. :o There were a few times when I came home nearly in tears, because he would just flip out and I would have no control. :doh: Thankfully he grew out of it, and once we started letting him off the lead (probably around 4 months old) and he could have a proper run and tire him out, his behaviour really changed. No more spinning in circles, just completely focused on when I was going to throw the ball.

I hope you don't let it put you off....like I said before, I find GSDs difficult, unless they have been properly trained. Labradors are wonderful though...ok, maybe I'm a bit biased. :P:giggle2:

Aw, so warm and snuggly!

Jasper has taken to sleeping in his pink tunnel lately. I've tried to get a couple of cute photos of him sleeping there, but of course he keeps waking up and walking out.  :roll: I love the first photo but it drives me a bit nuts because Jasper has crusty stuff in the corners of his eyes. I'm forever prodding at his eyes getting that stuff out. I love doing it (weird, I know! :blush2:), but he doesn't mind. It's the only thing he sits still for. I've also included a classic pic of catching Jasper in the act of being naughty.  :giggle2:

I also took a photo of my friend's beautiful maremma dog named Pip. I thought Frankie might like it. :)

post-3835-0-11386000-1422794440_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-43186600-1422794475_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-07940100-1422794666_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-62514000-1422794680_thumb.jpg

D'aww, I love Jasper! <3 Hm, you know mine and Winny's adoptaversary is actually tomorrow and I've never once had to pick goup out of his eyes. Guess I got lucky with him. He does, however, tend to get stuff stuck to his butt. Not poo, but he walks around with litter on his man bits a lot. I have no idea how he can just get them so littered up and not notice or care. 

BB, what are GSDs? German Shepherds? 

Maybe I'm just seeing that because they are my absolutely most extremely favorite dogs, ever!  Have had them, and love them. 

Frankie, sorry the dog walking didn't work out, but with a large, mostly untrained dog you didn't stand much of a chance.  I hope someone wants you to walk a tractable doggie! :)

Abby, so adorable!  Love the kitty pics.  He is beautiful. 

Kylie, Jasper is a cutie pie! 

Gaia, your dogs are just great!  I love big dogs! :D