Tim's Tremendous Tomes

Timstar

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the first story as well, The Priest's Tale, it was certainly the most memorable and told in such a way it keeps you glued to the page.

Glad you enjoyed Hyperion, Tim.  Bloody marvellous book.  I think Sol's story was my favourite, 'The Scholar's Tale'.  I found it heartbreaking.

Quite possibly my favourite too!

It wasn't the best story but I did love the writing style of 'The Poet's Tale'

I've had Hyperion on my TBR for quite a while now, and loved The Canterbury Tales, so might have to give it a go soon. :D

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I am eager to read the follow up.

• 2 weeks later...

24516043.jpg The Skull Throne - Peter V. Brett

Synopsis

The Skull Throne of Krasia stands empty.

Built from the skulls of fallen generals and demon princes, it is a seat of honour and ancient, powerful magic, keeping the demon corelings at bay. From atop the throne, Ahmann Jardir was meant to conquer the known world, forging its isolated peoples into a unified army to rise up and end the demon war once and for all.

But Arlen Bales, the Painted Man, stood against this course, challenging Jardir to a duel he could not in honour refuse. Rather than risk defeat, Arlen cast them both from a precipice, leaving the world without a saviour, and opening a struggle for succession that threatens to tear the Free Cities of Thesa apart.

Review

I was in two minds about continuing on with this series after the abysmal previous entry, The Daylight War. But I do love the overall premise and reading the novella, The Messenger's Legacy, set between TDW and TST, rekindled my interest and I decided to just go for it hoping the only way was up.

TDW ended on a cliff-hanger and TST picks up right afterwards and hits the ground running with a remarkable improvement in the pacing. Unfortunately this doesn't last for very long and Brett quickly sinks back into his familar sins of long-winded sections that follow characters we simply don't care about whilst the best ones are neglected completely. It does begin to feel like the demons aren't really a threat anymore with everyone mostly ignoring them or fighting with warded anything.

It's not all bad though, we do get some fantastic action scenes and the daylight war actually begins this time! Plus we do get to see a fairly awesome new kind of demon.

There isn't much more to say without giving away spoilers, but if enjoyed TDW you will love this, if like me, you have stuck with the series so far then give it a go, you can't be more disappointed then you were previously. But it still falls far short of the fantastic debut novel, The Painted Man.

The series so far:

The Painted Man - 9/10

The Desert Spear - 6/10

The Daylight War - 5/10

The Skull Throne - 7/10

Does anyone in these books have a normal throne anymore?  Skull Throne, Iron Throne blah blah blah  :doh:

Normal thrones are boring, you can't strike fear into your mystical kingdom with a normal throne. :blush2:

In other book news I have finished reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchett which was good but I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two Rincewind novels. 7/10

Also completed The Pickwick Papers by Dickens, written in episodic form allowed for quick dipping in and out of, many of which were good fun but many also overly long and boring. The writing, as with all Dickens is a treat, but this is my least favourite so far. 7/10

Finished Mr Mercedes last week, The first crime book by Stephen King which was very tense and a real page-turner. Great seeing the story from both the detective and criminals points-of-view. 8/10

Also been reading a lot of graphic novels lately, currently working my way through Sandman by Neil Gaiman and Y: The Last Man by Brian Vaughn. The latter of which is brilliant!

Normal thrones are boring, you can't strike fear into your mystical kingdom with a normal throne. :blush2:

Oh I don't know - I've see a fair few porcelain thrones in pub bogs that would put the fear of God into an atheist  :giggle2:

Great review! I look forward to read this book, once I can buy a paperback version. I agree with you that The Painted Man was definitely the best one, it was a really impressive debut novel.

I'm glad you enjoyed the other books you read too, somewhat at least. I hope to read Mr. Mercedes some day but I don't own a copy, the library might have the Dutch translation though.

Great review of The Skull Throne, I never made it past book 1 (which was amazing) because I had heard the next one wasn't great, and that trend seems to have continued. Not sure whether I should go for it or not really.

Nice review Tim. :) Good to hear The Skull Throne is getting the series back on track - The Daylight War was truly awful, wasn't it? :giggle2:

Great review of The Skull Throne, I never made it past book 1 (which was amazing) because I had heard the next one wasn't great, and that trend seems to have continued. Not sure whether I should go for it or not really.

I personally found the second book almost as enjoyable as the first, though I seem to be in the minority! It's the third one that's rubbish. :D

I personally found the second book almost as enjoyable as the first, though I seem to be in the minority! It's the third one that's rubbish. :D

That mostly makes me feel even more conflicted :lol:

Maybe if you're bored :shrug::lol: To be honest I would always recommend The Painted Man but probably tell people not to bother with the sequels unless they really want to. But you should check out the Novella's, they can be read independently and are good fun.

Nice review Tim. :) Good to hear The Skull Throne is getting the series back on track - The Daylight War was truly awful, wasn't it? 

Really was! I'd say TST has turned the series around and is now heading back towards the track... but it hasn't quite made it there yet.

• 2 weeks later...

the-sword-of-shannara.jpg The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks

Synopsis

Long ago, the world of the Four Lands was torn apart by the wars of ancient Evil. But in the Vale, the half-human, half-elfin Shea Ohmsford now lives in peace - until the mysterious, forbidding figure of the druid Allanon appears, to reveal that the supposedly long dead Warlock Lord lives again.

Shea must embark upon the elemental quest to find the only weapon powerful enough to keep the creatures of darkness at bay: the fabled Sword of Shannara.

Review

If the synopsis sounds a bit familar, it should, The Sword of Shannara has been long criticised as a plagarised Lord of the Rings. This initially put me off and because of which the book has been sat on my shelf for over 6 years. But then one day I just fancied some good old fashioned high fantasy and so I went in with low expectations and determined not to let the direct rip-offs similarities to LOTR put me off, especially as I have heard they get better from book two and Brook's finds his own story to tell.

For starters it wasn't as 'plagarised' as I was expecting, don't get me wrong there are some laughably obvious rip-offs such as the mysterious black 'Skull-Bearers' right-hand minions of the Warlock Lord that strike fear in the heart of any who oppose it :roll: as well as many other examples. But it didn't read like LOTR at all, it read more like David Eddings, and I think if it was released today it would be classified as a YA book.

Other aspects enforcing the idea it was aimed at a younger audience include too many 'convinient' occurences that helps out the group or individual in peril such as "They are enemies of the Warlock Lord, lets tie them up and take them with us on a long slow journey that surely won't be halted by their apt comrades" or the omnipotent elfstones that just seem to do what ever is required at the time they are needed.

Despite these aspects the story is actually quite enjoyable, or maybe it is because of these aspects. The characterisation wasn't as good as Eddings and the world just felt a little boring with the landscape mostly serving as obstactles to be avoided rather than immersed in. It was also a bit too long, at 650 pages it was dragged out unnecessarily.

This isn't a book I would recommend to fantasy newcomers but if you're looking for something very mindless and a bit of fun it's worth a go. I don't regret reading it and I will at least finish this trilogy.

Overall 7/10

N.B. Although part of a trilogy it clearly wasn't originally intended to be and can be read stand-alone as it is fully concluded.

I've often wondered what the Shannara books are like. I didn't realise it was commonly criticised for its similarity to Lord of the Rings but I have to say that was my first impression too! I'm surprised at it being a 'mindless fun' kind of book though, I would have thought (probably because of the length) it was quite heavy going. Some of the elements (like the elfstones) would definitely be off-putting. But it seems worth another look as an easy read book :smile:

Nice review Tim, glad you enjoyed it. :) I have about eight or nine of Brooks' books on my TBR and have yet to read a single one. :rolleyes:

Same here, I own a lot of them but I haven't yet read them. Though I do believe I read the first book when I was a teenager, but like with a lot of the other books I read in those years, I don't remember much of them :blush2: (other than that I liked them), or indeed of those years, I was heavily depressed. So I'm not counting the book as read because other than that I liked it, I can't remember much about it.

Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have the omnibus on my TBR and I hope to get around to it eventually. I think I will enjoy it most likely (I haven't read LOTR yet as well..).

:o Don't read any more fantasy until you've read LOTR! :D

I've often wondered what the Shannara books are like. I didn't realise it was commonly criticised for its similarity to Lord of the Rings but I have to say that was my first impression too! I'm surprised at it being a 'mindless fun' kind of book though, I would have thought (probably because of the length) it was quite heavy going. Some of the elements (like the elfstones) would definitely be off-putting. But it seems worth another look as an easy read book :smile:

Definitely nothing strenuous in there. But as far as I am aware it is only the first book that is criticised and there are over 20 I believe :o .

Nice review Tim, glad you enjoyed it. :) I have about eight or nine of Brooks' books on my TBR and have yet to read a single one. :rolleyes:

Will be interesting to see what you make of it :smile:

:o Don't read any more fantasy until you've read LOTR! :D

Well I liked The Hobbit a lot, but I didn't love it (as in 10 / 10) so it's not on my highest priority list of must-read-soon :blush2:. I will get around to it eventually though! I have to admit, I liked the LOTR films but for some reason I find the world of the films not as interesting as the world of some of my favourite fantasy books (the films were pretty nice but they dragged on a bit.. though the fact that I watched the Extended Editions might not have helped). I do hope to read them eventually though :). I hope the language won't be too old-fashioned as that's harder for me to read. But as a fantasy fan, I must definitely read LOTR some time :D.

Definitely nothing strenuous in there. But as far as I am aware it is only the first book that is criticised and there are over 20 I believe :o .

I'm not sure how many there are exactly, but according to Wikipedia it's at least more than 20! I don't know how they all fit in the world, but I hope to read the books eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

51NoiQqkVWL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Royal Assassin - Robin Hobb

Synopsis

Fitz dreams of Red-Ship Raiders sacking a coastal village, leaving not a single man, woman or child alive. Tortured by this terrible vision he returns to the Six Duchies court where all is far from well.

King Shrewd has been struck down by a mysterious illness and King-in-waiting, Verity, spends all his time attempting to conjure storms to confuse and destroy the Red-Ship Raiders. And when he leaves on an insane mission to seek out the mystical Elderings, Fitz is left alone and friendless but for the wolf Nighteyes and the King’s Fool with his cryptic prophesies.

Review

The second book of the orginal trilogy from Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings picks up where Assassin's Apprentice left off. Written in the same past tense format but this time the book is three times as long. Sigh, this was a struggle for me to get through. As with Hobb's Soldier Son trilogy I found the main protagonist too whingey and the supporting characters underdeveloped. The world building is pretty poor, you don't see much of what happens outside the court, you are sometimes told what is happening but you don't care as they are just names and places that don't mean anything.

Most of Fitz's actions don't seem to make sense. He spends ages trying to avoid using the berated animal bonding skill known as the Wit but then just does it on a whim. The King is dying, we all know who is responsible, Fitz knows, his friends know, do they do anything about it? NO! They just hope he gets better. They are also well aware of the on-going power struggle between the King's heirs but do nothing to intervene and prevent the usurption of the throne. It started to get quite fustrating. Furthermore, my favourite characters (I.e. the only ones I liked); Verity and the Fool are massively underused.

I also found the dialogue quite clunky and unnatural, it didn't have a nice flow to it that allows me as a reader to immerse myself in the book. But I really wanted to like it and really want to finish this trilogy so I perservered and eventually completed it. There were certainly sections that really picked up in tempo and had me gripped to the page, but these were few and far between. The last 100 pages or so were pretty descent which salvaged it for me in the end.

To be honest I just don't think Hobb is for me. I will read the final book... I'm just not looking forward to it :blush2: .

Overall 7/10

Awww :( it's a shame you didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one. I've yet to read this trilogy, but your review doesn't bode too well for it :hide:. I will still give it a go though, at least the first book. It's a shame you're not looking forward to reading the third book, that's not nice at all :(. Great review though. My books have different covers, but my book 2 isn't three times as long as book 1. I hope your next read will be better!