Poppyshake's Reading Year 2015

poppyshake

Shockingly behind AGAIN with my reviews  :blush2: One thing's for certain .. cake doesn't sharpen your wits!!  :D  :giggle: I'm going to attempt to write down a few words about my books read. I'm sure I can do short and to the point if I try hard enough! 

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mrshemingway.jpg
Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood

Synopsis:
In the dazzling summer of 1926, Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley travel from their home in Paris to a villa in the south of France. They swim, play bridge and drink gin. But wherever they go they are accompanied by the glamorous and irrepressible Fife. Fife is Hadley’s best friend. She is also Ernest’s lover.
Hadley is the first Mrs. Hemingway, but neither she nor Fife will be the last. Over the ensuing decades, Ernest’s literary career will blaze a trail, but his marriages will be ignited by passion and deceit. Four extraordinary women will learn what it means to love the most famous writer of his generation, and each will be forced to ask herself how far she will go to remain his wife…
Luminous and intoxicating, Mrs. Hemingway portrays real lives with rare intimacy and plumbs the depths of the human heart.

Review: I really, really, really enjoyed this (shall we just leave it there? :D) One of those books you can't put down. The story is split into four parts .. each part detailing the relationship between Ernest and his wives .. Hadley, Fife, Martha and Mary. I didn't know this when I began and thought I'd be reading about Hadley for the whole book, I was a bit disappointed to leave her behind (though the previous wives still remain in the story .. drifting in and out like ghosts) and she was my favourite wife to read about but all four stories are gripping. There is a sad overlapping .. a time when for each of them (except Mary of course though even here there are doubts and suspicions) a shadow appears on the horizon or a cuckoo in the nest. A time when they try and fight to retain their hold on Ernest .. knowing that it is futile. The peculiar thing is .. why does he marry them? If Ernest is going to live out a life of infidelity then why not keep the relationships casual? More puzzling is why do they marry him? .. especially the last two. It's a guaranteed ticket to misery. Apart from Fife though they do manage to remain on good terms with him. 

I believe this is a re-imagining .. and that it only bares the slightest of resemblances to the real situation but like all these re-imaginings the bare bones of it are true. Ernest doesn't come over at all well .. he's the sort of man that can inspire love and devotion in people (women and men) but he ill uses it. He doesn't know what's good for him .. he looks for the greener grass. I had the overwhelming (and recurring) urge to throttle him. But still, you can't help but admire the old rogue!!  

Engrossing. Loved it!! 

elizabethismissing.jpg
Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey

Synopsis:
Meet Maud. Maud is forgetful. She makes a cup of tea and doesn't remember to drink it. She goes to the shops and forgets why she went. Sometimes her home is unrecognizable - or her daughter Helen seems a total stranger. But there's one thing Maud is sure of: her friend Elizabeth is missing. The note in her pocket tells her so. And no matter who tells her to stop going on about it, to leave it alone, to shut up, Maud will get to the bottom of it. Because somewhere in Maud's damaged mind lies the answer to an unsolved seventy-year-old mystery. One everyone has forgotten about. Everyone, except Maud.

Review: I thought this was an interesting take on a crime mystery .. or a possible crime mystery .. in that the person trying to get to the bottom of the mystery has dementia and her memories are unreliable. My nan had dementia .. she hadn't a clue who I was at the end .. but she didn't live nearby and so I only saw her a few times a year. Often when I did see her it was because she'd come to stay .. and I noticed big changes in her each time. She became less and less coherent and present .. and after a while she  decamped completely to her own world .. a world where she'd mixed up bits and pieces of her past and blended them into a place where she felt comfy and safe. We had a bar .. our whole dining room was a bar .. my dad worked at Shepperton film studios so liked theatricalising (??) things .. and Nan thought she was in a pub!  :blush2:
 She'd always tell me that the prices were reasonable and that the landlord was a good sort :D She also thought she'd travelled past our house on her boat (she was bought up on the barges) .. she'd point at the garden and say .. 'we came all along here .. with the coal' and she liked throwing her sweetie wrappers on our log effect electric fire!  :blush2: I liked chatting with her though .. lots of things she recalled from childhood were interesting (even if they weren't exactly true) but it was also an anxious time. She would let our dog out and he would go haring around the neighbourhood .. delirious with his new found freedom and she would also sometimes wander off or try and make herself a drink or food .. but then forget and leave the frying pan on etc. So reading this bought back loads of memories and also made me anxious.

I kept thinking that Maud was far too vulnerable now to live on her own .. she was scaring me to death with each passing chapter (though it made for excellent suspense .. especially when she was out on one of her fact finding missions .. whereby she invariably forgot why she was on a bus etc.) I wanted to wrap her up in cotton wool. I thought the writer was excellent at conveying what it must be like to find yourself one minute at home with your family and the next in an unfamiliar world .. surrounded by unfamiliar people :( Truly frightening! Had to laugh at Maud always wanting to eat toast!! :D The family had to try and stop her as she'd become a bit of a toast eating machine .. not realising that she'd only just finished a slice a few mins before. This I fear is bound to happen to me but woe betide anyone who gets between me and the toaster!!  :no:

The reader doesn't know if Elizabeth is really missing .. as Maud suspects .. or if there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why she doesn't live at home anymore. More sinister than this though is the case of Maud's sister, Sukey, who has been missing since 1946. We hear about Sukey in dribs and drabs .. finding out more about her as we go along. Not always sure whether we're hearing the truth and often having to sift through the facts and separate them from those that pertain to Elizabeth. When the story does flash back to the 40's though it is like we're listening to Maud when she was young and with all her memory intact. This acts like balm as the present day story .. with Maud fretting about both Elizabeth and Sukey and also losing her grip on the world .. is quite harrowing. It's not without it's humour though .. the family who are stretched to breaking point often resort to humour as a way of making the absurd bearable.

Made me anxious but for all that .. Liked it!!

Oh :( I'm sorry! I said I was going to be to the point and not rambling! .. Hopeless!! :blush2:  

I love reading your reviews, Kay. Always very entertaining. :D

I have Elizabeth Is Missing on my TBR pile. I was going to wait for the Book Jar to select it, but I might read it sooner rather than later.

Bit worried about you putting it on your wishlist and your library list. Think this might be another that you like more at the start.  Still .. it's a library loan so I don't feel too bad and you can always look at the cover and smile which I could have done for a week or more and still been just as happy. 

I'm glad I'm in sync with your library but left to me they'd definitely hand deliver it to your door .. along with some Campari 

I've borrowed the book from the library now, I mean I reserved it and got the copy. I can't remember if I already mentioned it to you. Anyhow, I tried starting it one day and I didn't notice any gimmicky word play in the first 10 pages or so... I liked what I read but wasn't 100% drawn to it... This might sound like a bad thing but I'm personally thinking it might actually be a good thing: it might be a case of the book growing on me more towards the end! :smile2: Sadly I couldn't get on with it because of mojo but I hope to pick the book up again soon enough

ounds extreme but necessary. We are sometimes in need of paper for the wood burner .. I will bear Miss Smilla in mind :D

Yes, please do. I hated Miss Smilla.

Wohoo for reinforcement! :giggle2: 

gonegirl.jpg

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

:lol: Oh bolloks, you didn't like it then? :giggle2: I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoyed it just fine, but I guess I didn't take it as seriously or by the letter as you did. I guess I was more forgiving. Must've been a good day! 

balzac.jpg

What a wonderful review, you did the book justice! :smile2: And I'm so happy to hear you liked it so much. Not necessarily surprised, but well happy and chuffed! :smile2: 

I've seen Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress and never picked it up, as I don't know why, but the title nor the cover appeal to me.  I wish I'd had a look now, as it sounds fantastic and I've missed out on a gem.  Definitely adding to the wish list.

I'll put it on the pile Claire

Claire, funny you should not fancy the cover or the title, as I absolutely love both, and that was even before I read the book :lol: I think you might really like the book, and I'm glad Kay's able to provide you with a copy :smile2: 

mydearbessie.jpg

My Dear Bessie: A Love Story in Letters Edited by Simon Garfield

This sounds really lovely, I think it shall make its way on my wishlist :wub: Glad to hear the boobies didn't disappoint!! 

Here's a pic of the beautiful book Kylie sent me .. isn't it gorgeous?! It matches my others perfectly and so automatically looks at home. Also included is a pic of the bookmark which shows passport stamps of fictional places .. Platform 9 3/4, Cair Paravel, Mermaids' Lagoon, Emerald City and Wonderland. Which would I most like to visit? Hmm .. tough one as they're all places fraught with danger. Think I would choose Platform 9 3/4 as long as it was taking me to Hogwarts or Cair Paravel .. as long as I'm just having tea and toast with Mr Tumnus

The book is a beautiful edition, and you gotta love the bookmark, too! :wub: What a lovely surprise, and on a particularly gloomy day, too! :smile2: Well done, Kylie!! 

East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Great review! I really ought to read this book soon. Steinbeck is a natural when it comes to depressing books. He depresses the crap out of me! Fortunately he's written some lighter stuff, too... Phew! 

mrshemingway.jpg

Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood

I love the sound of this one. Onto the wishlist!

Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey

Review: I thought this was an interesting take on a crime mystery .. or a possible crime mystery .. in that the person trying to get to the bottom of the mystery has dementia and her memories are unreliable. My nan had dementia .. she hadn't a clue who I was at the end .. but she didn't live nearby and so I only saw her a few times a year. Often when I did see her it was because she'd come to stay .. and I noticed big changes in her each time. She became less and less coherent and present .. and after a while she  decamped completely to her own world .. a world where she'd mixed up bits and pieces of her past and blended them into a place where she felt comfy and safe. We had a bar .. our whole dining room was a bar .. my dad worked at Shepperton film studios so liked theatricalising (??) things .. and Nan thought she was in a pub!   She'd always tell me that the prices were reasonable and that the landlord was a good sort. She also thought she'd travelled past our house on her boat (she was bought up on the barges) .. she'd point at the garden and say .. 'we came all along here .. with the coal' and she liked throwing her sweetie wrappers on our log effect electric fire!   I liked chatting with her though .. lots of things she recalled from childhood were interesting (even if they weren't exactly true) but it was also an anxious time. She would let our dog out and he would go haring around the neighbourhood .. delirious with his new found freedom and she would also sometimes wander off or try and make herself a drink or food .. but then forget and leave the frying pan on etc. So reading this bought back loads of memories and also made me anxious.

This is already on my wishlist, but yours is a great review anyways, of course! I loved reading about your Nan, even though I'm of course unhappy that she had dementia. I can't imagine how hard it must've been for you and everyone else, and for her, too, obviously. But how adorable is it that she thought she was in a real pub and that the prices were reasonable and the landlord a good sort :giggle2::wub: What a darling!! 

Oh, and regarding toast: when I was in Nurmes, Mom bought me a particular loaf of bread that I could toast because she remembered how I'd eaten loads of it the last time. I started every day with toast :D Good times!! (Maybe I ought to buy a toaster to celebrate my graduation, when it's finally confirmed... Now there's an idea!)

I love reading your reviews, Kay. Always very entertaining. :D

I have Elizabeth Is Missing on my TBR pile. I was going to wait for the Book Jar to select it, but I might read it sooner rather than later.

Thanks bobbs :D

Hope you enjoy it too .. it's sad obviously but also quite funny and endearing.

Glad you enjoyed Elizabeth Is Missing :D

Thanks Noll :DAlways difficult not to ramble when you've enjoyed a book  :blush2:

I've borrowed the book from the library now, I mean I reserved it and got the copy. I can't remember if I already mentioned it to you. Anyhow, I tried starting it one day and I didn't notice any gimmicky word play in the first 10 pages or so... I liked what I read but wasn't 100% drawn to it... This might sound like a bad thing but I'm personally thinking it might actually be a good thing: it might be a case of the book growing on me more towards the end! :smile2: Sadly I couldn't get on with it because of mojo but I hope to pick the book up again soon enough.

Ah well .. these things take time :D I'm aware though that my tastes in literature are a bit odd .. that is .. certain books appeal to me greatly for no other reason than there's lots of toast in them .. the cover is brilliant .. and the heroine is a bit of an eccentric sort. Hope you can warm to it :hug: Sorry about your mojo .. happens to me all the time. I'm a bit in danger of it now .. I can feel my grip on it loosening :D:( B*gger!!

Wohoo for reinforcement! :giggle2:[/font]

It's gone .. out of the house. Sad I can't strike it off the old TBR .. my list wasn't 100% accurate but I trust you and Kylie enough to know that if you both say it's a cr*p book .. then it is!! I can't seem to abandon a book once I start but am happy enough to give it the old heave ho beforehand. I had my suspicions about it anyway! :D

:lol: Oh bolloks, you didn't like it then? :giggle2: I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoyed it just fine, but I guess I didn't take it as seriously or by the letter as you did. I guess I was more forgiving. Must've been a good day!

It just wasn't for me .. loads of people love it though .. I'm in the minority. Alan's going to watch the film. 

What a wonderful review, you did the book justice! :smile2: And I'm so happy to hear you liked it so much. Not necessarily surprised, but well happy and chuffed! :smile2:

A brilliant story and one that stays with you long after :hug: 

This sounds really lovely, I think it shall make its way on my wishlist. Glad to hear the boobies didn't disappoint!!

I was getting anxious about it .. he hadn't even seen a photo of them :D The funny thing was, his own family could hardly recognise him from these letters .. he wasn't a romantic or demonstrative person at all in later life. Must have been a bit embarrassing for them to read all the stuff he said about their mother's boobs :D The situation he was in made him throw caution to the wind though and he poured all his feelings and frustrations out on paper. More of Bessie's replies though would have been great.

The book is a beautiful edition, and you gotta love the bookmark, too! What a lovely surprise, and on a particularly gloomy day, too! :smile2: Well done, Kylie!!

Yes .. book post is the best and Kylie post even better :wub:

Great review! I really ought to read this book soon. Steinbeck is a natural when it comes to depressing books. He depresses the crap out of me! Fortunately he's written some lighter stuff, too... Phew!

:D He is depressing there's no doubt .. something about his writing gets under my skin though and intrigues me. I'm looking forward to his lighter stuff though :D Shows how versatile he is :) 

I love the sound of this one. Onto the wishlist!

Think you'll love it .. I know you love Hemingway and this is just a marvellous re-telling of his life (well his married life anyway.) Lots of great stuff about Paris and Sylvia Beach and the war etc too.

This is already on my wishlist, but yours is a great review anyways, of course! I loved reading about your Nan, even though I'm of course unhappy that she had dementia. I can't imagine how hard it must've been for you and everyone else, and for her, too, obviously. But how adorable is it that she thought she was in a real pub and that the prices were reasonable and the landlord a good sort. What a darling!!

:D Poor Nan .. she was happy though at the time (she became unhappier later .. she lost her sight and that made her anxious :( ) She was a great Nan though .. we all hired a coach one day and went to Southend (this is a marvellous memory .. all my family on one coach .. it was magical we were all singing etc) to the pleasure beach and Kursaal amusement park. I must of been about six and frightened of my own shadow so didn't want to go on any of the rides. We couldn't get Nan off of the water chute though :D She loved it. They closed it not long after .. I don't think safety was their number one priority :unsure: 

Oh, and regarding toast: when I was in Nurmes, Mom bought me a particular loaf of bread that I could toast because she remembered how I'd eaten loads of it the last time. I started every day with toast :D Good times!! (Maybe I ought to buy a toaster to celebrate my graduation, when it's finally confirmed... Now there's an idea!)

Starting every day with toast!! :wub: That is the best!! 

I do hope you get your own toaster soon .. it's the fastest food in the world! And delicious .. and cheers you up! And you can put stuff on it which only improves it!! :D 

Ah well .. these things take time. I'm aware though that my tastes in literature are a bit odd .. that is .. certain books appeal to me greatly for no other reason than there's lots of toast in them .. the cover is brilliant .. and the heroine is a bit of an eccentric sort. Hope you can warm to i. Sorry about your mojo .. happens to me all the time. I'm a bit in danger of it now .. I can feel my grip on it loosening. B*gger!!

Ah yes, you always have the added benefit of enjoying books only because they mention toast :D What a way to broaden one's literary horizons! We should all be so lucky... I'm sorry to hear about your mojo, too. Do you think ours have gone on a holiday together? Well yours isn't holidaying interestingly enough, because I feel my mojo returning to me. Sorry :blush:

It's gone .. out of the house. Sad I can't strike it off the old TBR .. my list wasn't 100% accurate but I trust you and Kylie enough to know that if you both say it's a cr*p book .. then it is!! I can't seem to abandon a book once I start but am happy enough to give it the old heave ho beforehand. I had my suspicions about it anyway!

Oh you've already gotten rid of it, hurrah :D Trust us, you've done the right thing. Although now I'm really curious and I do wonder if you would've loved it. No, I'm sure you wouldn't have. Boring Drivel. Capital D.

It just wasn't for me .. loads of people love it though .. I'm in the minority. Alan's going to watch the film. 

Are you refusing to keep him company then? :D Are you going to sit behind the couch and whack him with a baseball bat every time he seems to be enjoying the movie? :D

A brilliant story and one that stays with you long after

Indeed  :wub: Did it make you want to read Balzac?

I was getting anxious about it .. he hadn't even seen a photo of them. The funny thing was, his own family could hardly recognise him from these letters .. he wasn't a romantic or demonstrative person at all in later life. Must have been a bit embarrassing for them to read all the stuff he said about their mother's boobs.  The situation he was in made him throw caution to the wind though and he poured all his feelings and frustrations out on paper. More of Bessie's replies though would have been great.

He hadn't even seen a photo of them and was just risking it? What a brave, brave man  :D It paid off. Sounds like such a lovely love story  :wub: Sigh....

He is depressing there's no doubt .. something about his writing gets under my skin though and intrigues me. I'm looking forward to his lighter stuff though Shows how versatile he is 

*whisper in ear: read Cannery Row... Read Cannery Row...* *and The Wayward Bus*

Think you'll love it .. I know you love Hemingway and this is just a marvellous re-telling of his life (well his married life anyway.) Lots of great stuff about Paris and Sylvia Beach and the war etc too.

I already have a list of books on Hemingway that I need to and want to read... Should really get a move on! I don't know why he fascinates me so.

Poor Nan .. she was happy though at the time (she became unhappier later .. she lost her sight and that made her anxious) She was a great Nan though .. we all hired a coach one day and went to Southend (this is a marvellous memory .. all my family on one coach .. it was magical we were all singing etc) to the pleasure beach and Kursaal amusement park. I must of been about six and frightened of my own shadow so didn't want to go on any of the rides. We couldn't get Nan off of the water chute though She loved it. They closed it not long after .. I don't think safety was their number one priority  

Awww poor Nan for losing her sight  :( The water chute  :lol: Do you know, I'm now thinking of a different kind of water chute though  :( The kind where they make you sit and listen to funny stories and then accidents happen. Glad she got off it for good before it gave out!! 

Starting every day with toast!! That is the best!! 

It was the best of times...  :D

I do hope you get your own toaster soon .. it's the fastest food in the world! And delicious .. and cheers you up! And you can put stuff on it which only improves it!! 

Exactly! Imagine all the good stuff you can put on toast... And then imagine toast with only marg... I've only just had breakfast and now I'm salivating. Oh dear!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, you always have the added benefit of enjoying books only because they mention toast :D What a way to broaden one's literary horizons! We should all be so lucky... I'm sorry to hear about your mojo, too. Do you think ours have gone on a holiday together? Well yours isn't holidaying interestingly enough, because I feel my mojo returning to me. Sorry :blush:

Mine isn't too bad .. I've just got to keep an eye on it  :blush2: If given the chance it might abscond for a week or two .. I'm not giving it that chance :D 

Oh you've already gotten rid of it, hurrah :D Trust us, you've done the right thing. Although now I'm really curious and I do wonder if you would've loved it. No, I'm sure you wouldn't have. Boring Drivel. Capital D.

Life's definitely too short and all that. No room for boring drivel :D

Are you refusing to keep him company then? :D Are you going to sit behind the couch and whack him with a baseball bat every time he seems to be enjoying the movie? :D

:DNo .. he mostly watches his films on his own. If it's something I think I might like then I join him but it's rare. I'm just not much of a movie watcher and so let him get on with it because I know I can spoil it if I tut and shrug about too much (and I get restless .. once I've eaten the treats :D) What with not enjoying the book etc .. it's probably best if I leave him to it  :blush2: At the moment I'm only watching TV once a week .. for JS&MN .. I'm not sure why I'm not more into it. I have phases .. and I'm in a not watching movies or TV phase at the moment. Having said that, when I'm ill I watch TV non stop .. to occupy my mind and because I can't do anything else much .. perhaps that's why I don't do it so much when I'm well .. it reminds me probably (or maybe I'm just weird! :D 

Indeed  :wub: Did it make you want to read Balzac?

Yes it did actually :D

He hadn't even seen a photo of them and was just risking it? What a brave, brave man  :D It paid off. Sounds like such a lovely love story  :wub: Sigh....

:D They had worked together but many, many, years before and he only had the vaguest recollection of her but I reckon that he had remembered something and possibly that something was .. her boobs!! :D 

*whisper in ear: read Cannery Row... Read Cannery Row...* *and The Wayward Bus*

I do have Cannery Row so I will be looking upon it with an .. even more ..  favourable eye now :D

I already have a list of books on Hemingway that I need to and want to read... Should really get a move on! I don't know why he fascinates me so.

He fascinates me too .. I keep meaning to read more of his books. I've only read two .. but I liked them a lot.

Awww poor Nan for losing her sight  :( The water chute  :lol: Do you know, I'm now thinking of a different kind of water chute though  :( The kind where they make you sit and listen to funny stories and then accidents happen. Glad she got off it for good before it gave out!!

:D I have never heard of that water chute .. what a sheltered life I've led  :D

Exactly! Imagine all the good stuff you can put on toast... And then imagine toast with only marg... I've only just had breakfast and now I'm salivating. Oh dear!

:D If I'm being really hard on myself .. I eat it dry!! :o but I still would rather eat it than not. I feel a little bit of dry toast is what Mr Woodhouse would feed me .. if he feared I was under the weather :D 

Reading is going more slowly lately but I'm still reading about eight books a month so not too shabby. I've now read 73 books which was my total for the whole of last year so woohoo!!  :cows:  :yahoo:  :cows:  (will have to go extra careful when crossing the road tomorrow .. I must get to 74 at least!! :D

What is shabby though is my inability to keep up to date with my reviews  :blush2: 

Mine isn't too bad .. I've just got to keep an eye on it   If given the chance it might abscond for a week or two .. I'm not giving it that chance

Maybe mojos need a leash like puppy dogs who've yet to learn the command 'stay put!' :) 

No .. he mostly watches his films on his own. If it's something I think I might like then I join him but it's rare. I'm just not much of a movie watcher and so let him get on with it because I know I can spoil it if I tut and shrug about too much (and I get restless .. once I've eaten the treats ) What with not enjoying the book etc .. it's probably best if I leave him to it. At the moment I'm only watching TV once a week .. for JS&MN .. I'm not sure why I'm not more into it. I have phases .. and I'm in a not watching movies or TV phase at the moment. Having said that, when I'm ill I watch TV non stop .. to occupy my mind and because I can't do anything else much .. perhaps that's why I don't do it so much when I'm well .. it reminds me probably (or maybe I'm just weird!)  

Imagine if you didn't enjoy a movie and then had to be kept happy with treats, only this time there were enough treats to last throughout the movie. The calorie intake! :lol: Very noble of you to leave Alan to it if you know you won't enjoy a particular movie :) No matter, it's still best to read books and keep off the telly for most of the time. After all, it's a book forum and it would be a disgrace if we lost our members to TVs and TV forums! Bloody hell... :D 

They had worked together but many, many, years before and he only had the vaguest recollection of her but I reckon that he had remembered something and possibly that something was .. her boobs!! 

Yes probably :D And maybe he did remember them very vividly. After all, they are boobs!

I do have Cannery Row so I will be looking upon it with an .. even more ..  favourable eye now

Ah am very delighted about that, ma'am! :)

He fascinates me too .. I keep meaning to read more of his books. I've only read two .. but I liked them a lot.

There's just something about him. Although I know he wasn't the most likable person in the world... But maybe that adds to the fascination.

I have never heard of that water chute .. what a sheltered life I've led

Sheltered and dry :D

If I'm being really hard on myself .. I eat it dry!! but I still would rather eat it than not. I feel a little bit of dry toast is what Mr Woodhouse would feed me .. if he feared I was under the weather

Dry toast?! Is there anything worse. It's like someone's licked the potato chip and gotten off all the salt and fat. Yuck :D

Reading is going more slowly lately but I'm still reading about eight books a month so not too shabby. I've now read 73 books which was my total for the whole of last year so woohoo!!  (will have to go extra careful when crossing the road tomorrow .. I must get to 74 at least!! )

73 books already?? Bloody hell, well done!!  :clapping:

Maybe mojos need a leash like puppy dogs who've yet to learn the command 'stay put!'

Quite possibly .. and a treat for good behaviour! :D

Imagine if you didn't enjoy a movie and then had to be kept happy with treats, only this time there were enough treats to last throughout the movie. The calorie intake! :lol: Very noble of you to leave Alan to it if you know you won't enjoy a particular movie. No matter, it's still best to read books and keep off the telly for most of the time. After all, it's a book forum and it would be a disgrace if we lost our members to TVs and TV forums! Bloody hell...

A trip to the cinema is always a calorific nightmare for me .. because in order to sit there for the requisite 2/3 hours (how long was King Kong? .. seemed like 7 hours at least :D) I have to buy .. or smuggle in .. family sized bags of sweets .. usually chocolate peanuts and I wouldn't like to say how many calories are in a bag of those .. even if you share them (which I never do .. Alan prefers the choccy raisins :D )

I wish I liked films more and TV .. I haven't seen ANY of the progs people rave about. I bought the first series of Game of Thrones for Al on DVD recently but didn't feel in the least tempted to plonk myself in front of it .. much to his relief!  :D

Yes probably :D And maybe he did remember them very vividly. After all, they are boobs!

Yep .. probably the only thing he DID remember :lol:

There's just something about him. Although I know he wasn't the most likable person in the world... But maybe that adds to the fascination.

He wasn't dull and boring. He was a magnet .. for women and men .. people were attracted to him and still are.

Dry toast?! Is there anything worse. It's like someone's licked the potato chip and gotten off all the salt and fat. Yuck :D

I don't mind it too much but it is a bit like the sun's gone in yes :lol:

73 books already?? Bloody hell, well done!!  :clapping:

Thank you! All the hard work was done at the beginning of the year .. I have been slacking since but I'm still reading steadily and enjoying it. Lytton Strachey nearly did for me but I weathered the storm :D 

Lovely day out yesterday .. meeting Claire in Bath :wub: We always have a pile of books to return and a pile to take home again :D Bought a book in Bath's lovely independent bookshop Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights .. it's called The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine. Interestingly .. though we didn't talk about it .. Claire says it's a book she's been on the lookout for (perhaps we telepathically communicated this to each other over coffee and cake .. nothing would surprise me!) 
The blurb says this:

Enter a world of bonbons, hats, perfumes and MYSTERIES around every corner. WONDER at the daring theft of the priceless CLOCKWORK SPARROW! TREMBLE as the most DASTARDLY criminals in London enact their wicked plans! GASP as our bold heroines, Miss Sophie Taylor and Miss Lilian Rose, CRACK CODES, DEVOUR ICED BUNS and vow to bring the villians to justice.

I think you can see why I was drawn to it :lol: Any mention of buns in a blurb and I'm sunk! :blush2::D

The books Claire lent to me are:

Arsenic for Tea by Robin Stevens (yay!! the second Wells & Wong mystery :wub::cows: )
One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper (have just finished and loved This is Where I Leave You so .. high hopes :) )
The Goddess of Buttercups and Daisies by Martin Millar (also loved The Good Fairies of New York so again .. happy to read more from this author and love the title :D)
The Beautifull Cassandra by Jane Austen (one of the little black Penguin classics <3 I've started this already and it's great. Written when Jane was a teenager, it's a sort of short, naive, parody .. complete with spelling mistakes .. unless .. we have changed the spelling of certain words since then :blush2:
 .. which is a possibility. It's making me laugh .. clearly she's always enjoyed being absurd!

Anyway, thank you very much Claire for a lovely day and for the loan of these lovely books :hug: xx

bookshop Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights .. it's called The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine. Interestingly .. though we didn't talk about it .. Claire says it's a book she's been on the lookout for (perhaps we telepathically communicated this to each other over coffee and cake .. nothing would surprise me!) 

The blurb says this:

Enter a world of bonbons, hats, perfumes and MYSTERIES around every corner. WONDER at the daring theft of the priceless CLOCKWORK SPARROW! TREMBLE as the most DASTARDLY criminals in London enact their wicked plans! GASP as our bold heroines, Miss Sophie Taylor and Miss Lilian Rose, CRACK CODES, DEVOUR ICED BUNS and vow to bring the villians to justice. 

:o I added that to my Amazon Kindle wish list this morning!  :D

I wish I'd known you were meeting Claire in Bath yesterday - I'd have popped in to say hello!

Thanks Gaia .. here have some more  :cows:  :cows:  :cows: (I love the cows! :D)

I love them too :cows:!! 

I hope you enjoy the new and loaned books :)! I've got the Jonathan Tropper book on my wishlist/wanttoreadlist. I look forward to hear what you think of This Is Where I Leave You as I own this one in Dutch (but I haven't read it yet :blush2:).

:o I added that to my Amazon Kindle wish list this morning!  :D

I wish I'd known you were meeting Claire in Bath yesterday - I'd have popped in to say hello!

Oh .. I'm such a dolt!! :( It would have been lovely to meet up with you Janet. Alan wants to go again next month .. he came home with a list of stuff he wanted to do (most of it involves eating :D .. we took a cake home from Bertinet's and he's keen to try more of that for a start!) .. will be sure to give you a yell and see if you can make it xx

As always .. you're more than welcome to borrow the tree book from me xx I hope it's a good book .. it sounds as if it is so it'd better not let me down :D

I love them too :cows:!! 

I hope you enjoy the new and loaned books :)! I've got the Jonathan Tropper book on my wishlist/wanttoreadlist. I look forward to hear what you think of This Is Where I Leave You as I own this one in Dutch (but I haven't read it yet :blush2:).

Thanks Gaia :) Hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

Cows rule! :cows: :cows: :D (they are my go to excited emoticon :D

Going to do some short reviews (I know I always say that but this time I'm sticking to it as I can't see over the top of the pile of books yet to be reviewed :blush2: ) It's just a case of engaging ones brain .. wish me luck!  :D