Alex's 2015 Reading Log

Alexi

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if enough of us shout loudly enough at Amazon they'll change it! :lol:

From what I understand, it's not Amazon that are the problem, it's the publishers submitting the ebook … if they put page numbers in their formatting, it'll be there on the Kindle version, but if they don't you just get the location.

Great review Alexi. Congratulations on your engagement ! :flowers2:

Thanks so much VF! Its exciting, although means every conversation with any family member turns to weddings!

Interesting about the publishers Claire. I will have to readdress my letter of complaint ;)

From what I understand, it's not Amazon that are the problem, it's the publishers submitting the ebook … if they put page numbers in their formatting, it'll be there on the Kindle version, but if they don't you just get the location.

Oh okay! Well they could still refuse to publish things without the page numbers and authors would sort it out quick!

• 4 weeks later...

*blows dust off log*

Hello! I have rather neglected my poor little book blog in the last few weeks. Simply, I have been winding my way through the 1200 page non-fiction epic that is The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Fabulous, but not a quick read! 

Reviews, reviews....

#17 Endless Night by Agatha Christie

Synopsis: trapped by a chauffeur's wages, Michael Rogers' want of a better life seems out of reach. Especially elusive is a magnificent piece of property in Kingston Bishop--unil a chance meeting with a beautiful heiress makes his dreams possible. Marrying her is the first step. Building the perfect home is the next. Unfortunately, Michael ignored the local warnings about the deadly curse buried in the tract of land, and living out his dreams may exact a higher price than he ever imagined. 

Praised as one of Agatha Christie's most unusual forays into gothic, psychological suspense, this novel of fate, chance, and the nature of evil was a personal favorite of the author's as well. (From Goodreads)

Thoughts: Hmm. Not a favourite of mine I'm afraid Agatha! I gave this book a 3, but I can't remember much of the details despite finishing about a month ago. That sort of sums it up. 

It starts off as a vintage Christie, building the situation and getting to know the characters. But this one takes far too long over that, leaving not enough time for the denouement. 

My biggest issue is with the ending. Mainly because the ending is far too similar to one of her other books, and in said other book (revealed under spoiler tags!) it's done far better. 

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is the other book, which I rated as a 5/5 and loved when reading years ago. This felt like a cheap imitation but with a bit more gypsies/local rumour/superstition added, that the other didn't need! The other also had the advantage of Hercule Poirot as investigator of course. It is perhaps not her fault that TMORA has become so iconic, but it has, and she shouldn't have attempted it twice.

Neither Michael nor the heiress, Ellie, are very likeable characters to be honest which doesn't help. 

It kept me entertained but leaves me with little to say! It won't stop me from reading Agatha, who I love returning to when need of a comforting read, this one just wasn't her strongest for me. 

3/5 (I liked it) 

#18 Shooting Elvis by R M Eversz

Synopsis: There was no way that Mary Alice could have known loving Wrex was a mistake, or that Wrex could have known that Mary Alice could get angry - and even. Changing her image, her name and her life, Nina Zero becomes a fugitive from the law as she takes on her pursuers in a series of confrontations. (From Amazon)

Thoughts: Well, this was a weird one. Mary Alice is a normal, rather dull character who works in a photography studio taking photos of small children. 

That is until her boyfriend, who delivers drugs occasionally, asks her to take a package to an airport. Apparently not enough alarm bells rang in her head at this point. Turns out, it's a bomb and the package explodes. Thing is, she angered the people she was supposed to be working for by a) opening the package before delivery and b) making off with the rather large suitcase she exchanges it for. 

Hence then follows some capers as she tries to hide from police hunting her for terrorism. She ends up living with two people who want to sell her out for their own publicity gains while trying to run from the criminal stooges. 

It's an utterly ridiculous story that you need to suspend disbelief for. Thing is, it wasn't worth suspending it for this tale. Will have forgotten all of it within a few weeks. I'm upgrading it from 1 because I finished it without it seeming a chore and I was vaguely intrigued by how on earth she remained alive to narrate the story. 

2/5 (It was ok I suppose)

#19 The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer

Synopsis: It was Hitler's boast that the Third Reich would last a thousand years. Instead it lasted only twelve. But into its short life was packed the most cataclysmic series of events that Western civilisation has ever known.

William Shirer is one of the very few historians to have gained full access to the secret German archives which the Allies captured intact. He was also present at the Nuremberg trials. This is his authoritative historical account of the years 1933-45, when the Nazis, under the rule of their desporic leader Adolf Hitler, ruled Germany. They commandeered the Holocaust, one of the most shocking acts of evil in modern history, plunged the world into a second war, and changed the face of modern history and modern Europe forever. (From Amazon)

Thoughts: Wow. I devoted nearly four weeks of my life to this 1200 page epic and will never regret it. 

This book spans the entire lifetime of one Adolf Hitler, from birth to death, covering his and therefore Nazism's rise and fall in Germany. It's extremely dense and packed with information, but it's so readable. It's probably telling he was a journalist and not an academic historian! 

His research is thorough, his writing sound, his ability to tell the story and make it make sense while holding threads across continents remarkable. Excellent stuff. 

While I can't bring myself to deduct any marks, you have to look at this book with a critical eye. First published in 1959, Shirer lived and worked in the Third Reich and retains contempt for the party and the German populace who helped bring them to power. (And suffered the consequences!). 

For example, he constantly calls the Germans gullible - despite the fact that Goebbels ran such a tight ship they had rare access to anyone telling the truth! Here's an example: "One gets the impression that a good many of those 'good Germans' fell too easily into the trap of blaming the outside world for their own failures". He then wonders in the postscript why Germans didn't like his work! 

The postscript was written just as the Berlin wall was coming down, and the writer reckons the world will once again be faced with 'the German problem' as history shows us they would try again. Of course, it was his own nation, the Americans, along with us in the UK that went to war in Afghanistan, while the Germans stayed out of it. Hmm. 

However, I do have some sympathy. Towards the end of my Grandma's battle with dementia she reverted to her 21-year-old self, who had lived through the war and was recently out the other side and she often came out with lots of anti-German sentiment! A generational thing. 

Anyway, it was a sensational piece of work, well-researched through the first hand documents released after the fall of the Third Reich, told well and taught me plenty. Recommended for anyone with an interest in the subject. 

5/5

The book box has rewarded with me with The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion as my next read. :)

Goodness - how did you come across that one?!  Well done for finishing it.

Have you set a date yet?  :P

The library quick reads shelf! The cover was eye catching. What's that expression about books and covers.... ;)

Er...coming close! I've reserved a date at the venue I am 95% sure I want but looking round others to make sure it is THE ONE. I am fairly sure it is though :P

I could have sworn I replied to your review and the possible venue, so sorry!  I am skipping posts all over the place.  I am so happy you might have found a venue, it is the hardest part of a wedding- well, outside of a dress/ outfit.  I am also glad you enjoyed the read- despite its little dating!- it is a good read.

I am looking at the Lawrence Rees book Hitler's Charisma and Max Hastings' Inferno The World at War 1939-1945 to take with me on vacation.  I saw you in Brian's thread and thought I'd see if you had any history with these... Historians lol  He recommended Rees' Nazi's: A Warning from History, but I can't find it on Kindle :(

I read All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings which was excellent - great account although a bit more involved and wordy than Shirer. I'd really recommend it for you though as you have a big interest in it anyway :)

Yeah I've out Warning from History on my wish list but it might be one for library/charity shop rather than kindle. :(

Running into a few venue issues actually - got the date held for two weeks while we looked around and made a decision but OH currently incapacitated after winter sports injury so I'm not sure we should go ahead now.

Running into a few venue issues actually - got the date held for two weeks while we looked around and made a decision but OH currently incapacitated after winter sports injury so I'm not sure we should go ahead now.

Awwww I'm so sorry :(! I hope he gets well soon.

Congrats on finishing that humongous Third Reich book, wow :cool: And enjoying it all the while, too! Can't wait to read your thoughts on The Rosie Project, as well :smile2: 

I'm sorry to hear about OH's injury  :empathy:  Lots of pampering is in order! ;) 

I read All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings which was excellent - great account although a bit more involved and wordy than Shirer. I'd really recommend it for you though as you have a big interest in it anyway :)

Yeah I've out Warning from History on my wish list but it might be one for library/charity shop rather than kindle. :(

I am checking out the Hastings right now *types in two windows* :P

And I'm sure Warning from History is a million pages... they don't even have the book on Amazon!  I'm so babied, carrying around my Kindle and not a big ole book (especially now that I am reading Ken Follett lol). 

I am sorry to hear of the delay :(

*also types in two windows*

My library has it :o The online catalogue says 256 pages... It's in a different branch so I shall have to reserve it and then report back!

Wow!  None of the libraries even in my surrounding counties have it!  Now I am just getting curious.  I found a used copy from Amazon for 77 cents to $4 :giggle2: But I want it to take on vacation with me and it's got a ginormous swastika on the cover :doh:

Rees also did a 6 episode documentary of it on BBC, which is all on YouTube, but nicely blocked, thanks to BBC.  And I just can not find it anywhere else.  :banghead:

Wow!  None of the libraries even in my surrounding counties have it!  Now I am just getting curious.  I found a used copy from Amazon for 77 cents to $4 :giggle2: But I want it to take on vacation with me and it's got a ginormous swastika on the cover :doh:

Rees also did a 6 episode documentary of it on BBC, which is all on YouTube, but nicely blocked, thanks to BBC.  And I just can not find it anywhere else.  :banghead:

Yeah.. I wouldn't recommend taking a book with such a cover with you on holiday, the people might not appreciate that at all. The war can be a sore point, in particular for the older citizens.

Yeah.. I wouldn't recommend taking a book with such a cover with you on holiday, the people might not appreciate that at all. The war can be a sore point, in particular for the older citizens.

I got some funny looks in Germany while reading a book about the historic sites related to WWII in Berlin. It wasn't really an issue as such, but the cover had a massive picture of Hitler on it, perhaps I should have covered it in something before I went but I never thought about it.

That's what I thought- especially in Europe!

It wasn't really an issue as such, but the cover had a massive picture of Hitler on it, perhaps I should have covered it in something before I went but I never thought about it.

This had me lol

Wow! None of the libraries even in my surrounding counties have it! Now I am just getting curious. I found a used copy from Amazon for 77 cents to $4 :giggle2: But I want it to take on vacation with me and it's got a ginormous swastika on the cover :doh:

:giggle2: Sorry, but that really made me laugh!