Chrissy's Reading In 2015

Chrissy

I've covered everything that I think could be seen as a spoiler, Athena. Hope that's ok now.  :smile:

Wonderful description of the books Chrissy. You still have me thinking of a re-read. I need to get through a bunch of other books first though. :)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've covered everything that I think could be seen as a spoiler, Athena. Hope that's ok now.  :smile:

Thank you Chrissy :). You make me want to re-read the books, and I just re-read them last year :giggle2:.

22) Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince by JK Rowling

This is the one book of the series that seriously looks at the psychology of the main players. In the hands of a lesser writer Half Blood Prince would be moody and clumsy with characters such as

Draco Malfoy anxiously contemplating his given task, alongside Harry's ongoing and obsessive mistrust of him.

We look into Dumbledore's knowledge and later his theories relating to Tom Riddle Jr, and his evolution into Voldemort. Emotions run high for many, with differing forms of love a central theme to the book, with the romantic unions developing and deepening between Ron and Hermione, Harry and Ginny, and Tonks and Lupin. The maternal love of Narcissa Malfoy for Draco that stands in contrast to the insane darkness of her sister Bellatrix, and then we have the likes of Hagrid and his profound sense of loss at Aragog's death. 

Harry and the reader learn of Hocruxes and what will have to be carried out in order to ultimately defeat Voldemort.

It is a dark and swirling story that never gets lost in it's own telling, and eventually leads us to sad and dramatic death of Dumbledore and the smack-in-you-face, can't hide from it any more arrival of all out war with Voldemort and his supporters. The reader is aware that the arc of the story started in the very first book is sweeping toward it's conclusion, with the components gathering that will (hopefully) enable good to prevail. 

I have moved straight onto the last book, and will undoubtedly finish it over the next day or two.  :smile:

Thanks Athena.  :smile:

What I forgot to mention in my Half Blood Prince thoughts was Slughorn.

This is the sixth book of a seven book series, with well established main and peripheral characters.  JK Rowing manages to insert seamlessly into this a fully formed and engaging new character, who then goes on to play a pivotal role in Dumbledore's progressing knowledge and theories about Voldemort, his beginnings and direction. 

With Horace Slughorn you immediately knew the type of person he was, where his priorities lay and how he could be manipulated or charmed. It was textually nauseating at times reading how he went about seeking the talented, the connected and the impressive throughout the school, and constantly name dropped his established connections. Yet somehow Slughorn remained a likeable character, with his flaws and foibles on display, and a constant undercurrent of loneliness and sadness that clings to his life - many acquaintances but few friends. 

A nice little overlay of story was the charming of him by Tom Riddle in the early years, then the gentle manipulation of him to return to Hogwarts, and finally with Harry creating (with a little help from Felix Felicis) the circumstance whereby Slughorn gives up his true memory. 

23) Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling

The final book in the series. I am so glad that not only that I re read the books, but also that it had been so long since I had. I could really appreciate the texture and detail of the books, the development of the characters and the constant tug through the series to see it through to the end. 

So much happens in this book, and we (alongside Harry) have to learn so much to make it though to the final scenes.

The notion of Horcruxes were 'covered' in Half Blood Prince, but here we learn of The Deathly Hallows, and their potential role in the final battle with Voldemort. We also learn more of Dumbledore, sad and shocking though it is in parts. Aberforth Dumbledore is a delightful addition to the books, and despite the distance that had clearly existed between him and his brother for many years, it was also made subtly clear that they were close in the end. 

The menace of Voldemort and his followers is clear from the outset, with the initial attack on Harry and those moving him setting the pace and tone for what is to come. Hedwig's and Mad Eye's deaths in these opening pages are an immediate notification to the reader that no one is safe anymore. Harry, Ron and Hermione's escape from the wedding party starts their time as fugitives. 

I know the camping parts of the book felt too long when I first read the book, but now I found that it was a necessary inclusion. They are on the run, they don't have all the information, and they do have to work things out gradually. Too many brain waves that made leaps in the story would have been both ridiculous and insulting. Instead we have the three pushed and pummelled by their experiences and through that understanding is gleaned.

Dumbledore's understanding of the three is played out well, from the moment they receive their bequests from the minister, and I was particularly struck by 'I open at the close' moment as Harry entered the forest. He 'got it' in that moment, and it was when the reader truly felt that this could be the end for him. 

Gulps of sorrow are all around, with the deaths of Fred Weasley, Lupin and Tonks, and that tear inducing moment that sees little Colin Creevey's body being brought into the castle.

A great ending, Voldemort reduced to Riddle and finally killed. The battle between Molly Weasley and Bellatrix Lestrange was a delight, with that wonderful juxtaposition of the motherly earthy Molly against the killing psychopath who can feel no love. Great stuff.

All the loose ends are tied up nicely, and we even get a rather corny epilogue! No complaints from me on that.

EDITED TO ADD 

forgot to include my thoughts on Snape. What a sad character indeed.

Such a sad childhood, then once at Hogwarts his attachment to his 'friends' in Slytherin, and the sneering and bullying from James and Sirius leads him to insulting his only friend, Lily. His deeper involvement with Voldemort leads him to divulge the contents of the prophecy, and to the murder of James and Lily. 

From here on in he becomes Dumbledore's man, and is indeed brave in his double agent activities, and does everything that Dumbledore has asked of him, including standing in for Draco and killing Dumbledore. In the epilogue we see that Harry has given one of his children Severus, and bits and pieces from JK Rowling herself has stated that Harry enabled Snape's portrait to be included in the Headmaster's study ,and his bravery to be known.

Yet nothing truly cancels out just how cruel and humiliating he was toward Neville, or indeed Harry. Poor Neville was so terrified of Snape, he had become his greatest fear, as seen in the Prisoner of Azkaban and the Boggart scene. It has been said that Snape was like this because the prophecy could have fitted either Harry or Neville, and had Neville been killed then Lily would still be alive.

But just how twisted is that? I know one cannot help how one feels, and I know that Snape's behaviour can be seen as an extension of the hatred he has for himself but this doesn't come close to justifying how nasty he was. Yes, he is a complex character, and he certainly contributed to Voldemort's downfall, yet it is all very self centred; his loss, his remorse, his feelings, his revenge. 

Edited by Chrissy

I am really enjoying this re read of them. It is wonderful to reacquaint myself with the depth and breadth of the written series. It's that strange sensation where I know the story/stories very well, and the I can note the changes that were made in the movie versions, yet I am thoroughly getting into the small details and asides that made the series so readable for so many people. *happy sigh*

I'm finding that my memory has been so saturated with the film versions over the years that there's LOADS of stuff from the books I'd forgotten. Like Professor Binns! 

This is probably my favourite of the series. :) The fifth book would probably overtake it if it wasn't for Harry being too much of a 'teenager' (whining and shouting all the time).  :D

Order of the Phoenix was always my favourite of the series, though as you say, CAPS LOCK HARRY gets kind of annoying after a while. :D

21) Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix by JK Rowling

Whose big idea was it to keep this proven curious and reckless young man out of the loop with what has been happening since the Triwizard final? He needed support, let alone information. Yet everyone thinks he is better off being given dribs and drabs of information. So many of the problems that develop in this book could have been avoided just by explaining things to him, yet it is often left to Hermione with her level thinking and less emotional response to things to fathom the whats, whys and wherefores.

Heh, Dumbledore's famous 'wisdom' at work once again? :rolleyes:

Awesome thoughts about the series, Chrissy. You make me want to press straight on with my re-read! *goes to get Prisoner of Azkaban off the shelf* :D

Just popping in to say that I finished the first two Maureen Johnson books this week after I bought them on your recommendation, and I thought they were very good.  I'll write up a proper review later (I'm waaaaay behind :roll:), but wanted to let you know I enjoyed them. :D

Just popping in to say that I finished the first two Maureen Johnson books this week after I bought them on your recommendation, and I thought they were very good.  I'll write up a proper review later (I'm waaaaay behind :roll:), but wanted to let you know I enjoyed them. :D

Phew!  :D

I look forward to reading your review of them.  :smile:

I'm finding that my memory has been so saturated with the film versions over the years that there's LOADS of stuff from the books I'd forgotten. Like Professor Binns! 

Order of the Phoenix was always my favourite of the series, though as you say, CAPS LOCK HARRY gets kind of annoying after a while. :D

Heh, Dumbledore's famous 'wisdom' at work once again? :rolleyes:

Awesome thoughts about the series, Chrissy. You make me want to press straight on with my re-read! *goes to get Prisoner of Azkaban off the shelf* :D

Saturation is a great way of describing how the films impact the memory of the series. What was so great with the re read was knowing the story well, but being able to yomp about in all the details. Professor Binns indeed!  :D

I understood shouty CAPS LOCK Harry so much better this time around. Surely this is Voldemort induced PTSD? 

Don't diss the Dumbly wisdom - there'd be no series without it!  :giggle2:

24) A Morbid Taste For Bones by Eliis Peters

In 1137, the Abbot of Shrewsbury decides to acquire the remains of St Winifred. Brother Cadfael is part of the expedition sent to her final resting place in Wales and they find the villagers passionately divided by the Benedictines' offer for the saint's relics. (amazon)

This is the first book in Ellis Peters historical murder mystery series. Cadfael, the series central protagonist is a worldly Welsh Benedictine monk living in a Shrewsbury monastery in the 12th Century.

A really enjoyable read, and I declare myself a Cadfael fan right here!  :D Warm, earthy and worldly, Cadfael knows the ways of the world, from the ordinary through the pious to the princely. He puts his deep and loving understanding of his fellow man to great purpose as he uncovers the true identity of a murderer, and enables a small Welsh community comes to terms with the visit, demands and departure of the monastic group. 

I bought a fair few of the Cadfael series when they came up on special offer a while ago, so I have many more to read over time. I am looking forward to them.

25) No Good Deed by Manda Scott 

Orla McLeod knows too much about violence for her own good. She knows about pain and how to inflict it, she knows about guilt and she knows about survival. And because she was barely a teenager when she learnt all this, she know what these things can do to a child. So when she and a nine-year-old boy are the only ones left alive in a freezing Glasgow tenement after a Special Branch undercover operation she was spearheading has gone disastrously wrong, there's no way Orla McLeod's going to hand Jamie Buchanan over to social services. Not when Jamie's the sole witness to Tord Svensen committing an act of savagery of the type that's rapidly turning him into one of the most feared criminals in Europe. Especially since Svensen knows a lot about survival too. (amazon)

Dark, gritty and tender, I first read this book about decade ago, and it has lost non of its impact in the intervening years. Orla makes a great heroine, with her passion and determination and her ability to hear the statements made in between the words being spoken. She is desperately flawed, and all the better for it. A twisty turny read that never lets you lose track. I'll read it again in a few years time.  :smile: 

• 2 weeks later...

I understood shouty CAPS LOCK Harry so much better this time around. Surely this is Voldemort induced PTSD? 

I never thought of it like that. :o You'd think Dumbledore would have sent him for counselling rather than isolating him from his friends and family. :rolleyes: 

Just finished Prisoner of Azkaban myself. Now bring on the Big Boy Books of the series! :D

Ooh I've had this on my TBR for years. I think I bought it from the Works for about 25p! Glad to hear it's an enjoyable read. :)

The Cadfael book was a nice way of exiting the Potterverse. Cadfael as a character is pretty cool, I really grew to like him in this first book, and am looking forward to wending my way through many more of his stories. I hope you enjoy him too.  :smile:

Enjoy you HP reading. I look forward to reading your thoughts on them.  :readingtwo:

Just finished Prisoner of Azkaban myself. Now bring on the Big Boy Books of the series! :D

What about the Big Girl Books :P. But yes, books 3 and 4 weren't my most favourite ones. 5 was really good. Anyway, have fun :).

In 1137, the Abbot of Shrewsbury decides to acquire the remains of St Winifred. Brother Cadfael is part of the expedition sent to her final resting place in Wales and they find the villagers passionately divided by the Benedictines' offer for the saint's relics. (amazon)

This is the first book in Ellis Peters historical murder mystery series. Cadfael, the series central protagonist is a worldly Welsh Benedictine monk living in a Shrewsbury monastery in the 12th Century.

A really enjoyable read, and I declare myself a Cadfael fan right here!  :D Warm, earthy and worldly, Cadfael knows the ways of the world, from the ordinary through the pious to the princely. He puts his deep and loving understanding of his fellow man to great purpose as he uncovers the true identity of a murderer, and enables a small Welsh community comes to terms with the visit, demands and departure of the monastic group. 

I bought a fair few of the Cadfael series when they came up on special offer a while ago, so I have many more to read over time. I am looking forward to them.

Ooh, goodie!  :smile:   I, too, bought three or four of these for 99p in Kindle deals (there's another one in the current monthly deal for about £1.69), so I'm looking forward to them.  Got to finish at least one other series before thinking about starting them, though  :D

Ooh, goodie!  :smile:   I, too, bought three or four of these for 99p in Kindle deals (there's another one in the current monthly deal for about £1.69), so I'm looking forward to them.  Got to finish at least one other series before thinking about starting them, though  :D

I did like the story Steve, it was an easy read in many ways,  but there was enough meat to enjoy the meal!  :smile:

And don't talk to me about finishing other books first! I am having to NOT look at all the other books I have pending - and that's aside from the the re reads and new purchases.  :readingtwo:  

That's one of the more famous Lord Peter Wimsey stories isn't it? Sounds great and right up my street being all vintagey and stuff. I've heard a few radio dramatisations but never read any of this series. 

I`m guessing those are the brilliant Ian Carmichael ones ? 

Chrissy, sounds like you`re enjoying the books ; I love them too, and recently got a Dorothy L Sayers biography and the first volume of her letters ( to get to, at some point.. )  :smile:

I haven't seen any of the Ian Carmichael ones, although I have seen the wonderful Edward Petherbridge in a few faithful adaptations. I will have to seek a Ian Carmichael one out, so I can make a comparison.  :smile:

The Lord Peter Wimsey series is a favourite of mine, I plan on making my way through the rest of them at some stage this year.  :readingtwo:

I haven't seen any of the Ian Carmichael ones, although I have seen the wonderful Edward Petherbridge in a few faithful adaptations. I will have to seek a Ian Carmichael one out, so I can make a comparison.  :smile:

The Lord Peter Wimsey series is a favourite of mine, I plan on making my way through the rest of them at some stage this year.  :readingtwo:

Ooh, I have the Edward Petherbridge/Harriet Walter DVDs - I looooved those when they first aired. I also have the five Ian Carmichael TV adaptations ( a bit 1970`s dated, but still watchable ) and have heard a lot of the radio plays through Radio4extra. 

I do hope that Jill Paton Walsh does some more of the books.  :smile:

Enjoy your re-reads . :D

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply muggle not. I read mainly on my kindle, with a few paperbacks and hardbacks thrown into the mix.  :smile:

How about you?

Almost exclusively on kindle. I am so fortunate to have a library that stocks  most all books that I want to read in the kindle format. Example: the library has all 8 of the Alan Bradley books of Flavia de Luce series in kindle format. :)

Edited by muggle not