Chrissy's Reading In 2015

Chrissy

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking of a post apocalyptic Russia muggle not, with Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I will dip into it later on today and see if it grabs me. If not I have a Jeffrey Deaver, a Neal Shusterman and a David Baldacci (the Wish You Well that you recommended) from which to choose.  :smile:

There's a very good videogame based on that book, I really enjoyed it; too bad I never finished it for some reason and now the disc doesn't work. But the main point of it was the atmosphere, the design and the sensations it provided through sight and sound. The plot wasn't that much interesting, although it might have a different story than the book or it may not be about the whole book (at least one sequel was released). Even if it's the same story, perhaps the book provides its own sensations through writing. Also bear in mind that storytelling in gaming is still very poor comparing to literature. An interesting aspect was that the game allowed the player to explore the settings and its language was russian (menus and subtitles in english).

I can thoroughly recommend the three books Nollaig. They are each thought and emotion provoking in their own ways, regardless of whether you like the characters involved. And yes, it is the Unwind series I was contemplating starting, especially since Eleonora had reminded me of them recently. 

I had heard about the video game Sousa, and had a look at the story of the development of the original book, it's sequel and the video game. Interesting reading (on Wiki!). 

Thanks Athena.  :smile:

I am thinking of a post apocalyptic Russia muggle not, with Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I will dip into it later on today and see if it grabs me. If not I have a Jeffrey Deaver, a Neal Shusterman and a David Baldacci (the Wish You Well that you recommended) from which to choose.  :smile:

This should remove me far enough away from angst ridden teenage girls for a while!  :giggle2:

I may look into the Metro 2033. Sounds interesting. Let me know how much you liked it. :)

12) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. (from thirteenreasonswhy.com)

The book runs a duel narrative between Hannah speaking and explaining on the tapes, and the activities and thoughts of Clay as he listens to them. It is a moving story, Hannah is clearly troubled, yet her recordings are beautifully articulate, even when detailing events that show her in a foolish or derogatory light. You can see the snowball effect of the events leading up to her death, and at times want to shout to the book (or in my case, kindle) to not do the thing you know she is about to do.

Ain't the grown up ability to foresee consequences a marvellous thing? If only one could have it as a teenager. 

The two characters feel authentic, and I recognised my young teenage self in Hannah in many ways - without the destructive end I hasten to add. 

This is my third YA book that centres on a young an troubled teenage girl. This wasn't intentional, but in retrospect I think it was fortuitous for my reading psyche that I read the three around the same time. I noticed certain aspects in each that I found truly appealing, and that enabled me to relate that much better to the girl in each book. In We Were Liars, Cadence writes little fairy tales that express her growing dissatisfaction with her family. She also starts writing notes to herself in an effort to remember what took place at the time of her accident. In The Sky Is Everywhere Lennie is constantly writing, on any and every surface in a bid to express her grief to the universe. And with Thirteen Reasons Why the deep thinking of Hannah is not only verbally expressed through the tapes, but additionally through poetry. 

I think I should avoid teenage girls in text for a little while. I would hate to spoil my terrific run of great books with a dud!  :D

Great review Chrissy, I enjoyed 'We Were Liars', will check out 'The Sky is Everywhere' ~ I hope you continue with great books.  :readingtwo: 

Unwind are great books, but they're not the lightest YA reading so just be prepared for that! Hope you enjoy em if you read em!

Agreed. I have two books left to read in the series. :readingtwo:

Edited by Weave

Thanks Marie.  :smile:  

It was an enjoyable (if that is the right word to use considering the subject matter) read in many ways. The duel narrative works well in the book, and you can really feel the tension in the text as the story develops. We, the reader cannot know the reasons, until Clay himself has heard them, so you have that slight leaning forward compulsion to it.  :blush2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are you reading Metro 2033? If so, how interesting is it.

I'm so sorry muggle, I have only just popped in here and seen your query.  :blush2: I started Metro 2033, but I had 'stuff' going on and didn't feel I could give the book the attention it deserved, so it is a pending read.

My reading mojo has had a big wobble, so I re read a fave easy read of sorts to keep things ticking over until my mojo returns. 

Having said that I bought a paperback book called The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson for £1 the other day, but as it was the second book in a series, appealingly called Shades Of London, I have since bought (in paperback form once again) The Name Of The Star. Looking on-line, I saw that a prequel short book have been written in the series, so I actually kindled this one (The Boy In The Smoke) and read it last night. It has piqued my interest, so I will probably read the two further books before I read anything else. 

Thanks Gaia and Kylie. :smile: 

I have developed a "NO PANIC!" way of dealing with the wobbly reading mojo, and that is to stop what I am reading and just slip over into a different and familiar book until my brain settles down a bit. It stops the "I'll never read again" sensation that kicks in whenever I have a wobble. 

T'is working so far......... :readingtwo:

Currently it is a choice between Cassandra Clare and her Mortal Instruments (or Infernal Devices) series, or Angie Sage and her Septimus Heap series. They both take me off to a different place without any mental or emotional struggle.  :smile:

I've not heard of Gail Carriger, I will have to investigate!  :readingtwo:

13) The Boy In The Smoke by Maureen Johnson

On a cold night, Stephen Dene went to the Eton boathouse to perform a desperate act. But someone stopped him along the way, sending his life in a new and decidedly strange direction--leading him to London, to two new friends, and to a world of shadows and mystery. (from Amazon)

This is a prequel novella to the Shades Of London series of books. A young man, on the brink of adulthood proper finds his sad childhood catching up with him one evening. A heart ache inducing story that sets the stage for the later books in the series. This is not a book with action scenes, but is one that allows the reader to start understanding the new beginnings of an old organisation.   

14) The Name Of The Star by Maureen Johnson

Sixteen-year-old American girl Rory has just arrived at boarding school in London when a Jack the Ripper copycat-killer begins terrorising the city. All the hallmarks of his infamous murders are frighteningly present, but there are few clues to the killer’s identity.

“Rippermania” grabs hold of modern-day London, and the police are stumped with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. In an unknown city with few friends to turn to, Rory makes a chilling discovery… Could the copycat murderer really be Jack the Ripper back from the grave? (From Amazon)

An unusual story in many ways, but one that 'worked' An amalgam of young adult sensibilities, old time murders, a new kind of paranormal and a tale worth reading. I liked the characters, who from the start were well drawn. I got frustrated with Rory, the central character of the series, although I was able to adore her in equal measure. A great start to an intriguing series.

The Boy In The Smoke is only 79p and The Name Of The Star by Maureen Johnson is only £1.99, and oddly, after reading your reviews … both are now on my Kindle!   :blush2: 

Oops!  :D

15) The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson

When madness stalks the streets of London, no one is safe…There’s a creepy new terror haunting modern-day London.

Fresh from defeating a Jack the Ripper killer, Rory must put her new-found hunting skills to the test before all hell breaks loose…But enemies are not always who you expect them to be and crazy times call for crazy solutions.

Although I did enjoy this second book I found that it was a 'middle book', one that bridged the first book that had set up the central premise of the series in a great story, with the rest of the series. Loyalties are tested and friendships pushed to their limits. Rory makes some bad decisions and takes wrong turns, enough to make me grind my teeth at times. This story does however change the series direction, with the consequences reaching further than one could guess. 

16) The Shadow Cabinet by Maureen Johnson

In her weakest moment, Rory will find true strength. 

With hardly a moment to think for herself, Rory gets back to work. Charlotte must be found -- as must Stephen. Lines must be drawn and forces rallied. Something is brewing under London, something bigger and much more dangerous than what has come before. The Shadow Cabinet holds the key to everything, and it is up to Rory to unravel its mysteries before time runs out...

Things have taken a dramatic turn (quite a feat considering the series so far!) for everyone. Rory sits at the very centre of a brewing storm that will reach both literally and metaphysically far beyond Wexford and it's small corner of London. New faces are entered into the mix, and new connections must be successfully forged before a resolution to the current situation can be found. A surprising and well developed third book, action packed and pacey. 

I look forward to the next....whenever that may be

• 3 weeks later...

You're not getting me again!! Well … I say that ... I'm waiting until I've read the first two, but based on your reviews, I fully expect that as the third book picked up again, I'll be buying these two at some point in the future as well.

I was not even trying.......... :giggle2:

:smile:  :cat:  :006:  :reading:  :shrug:  :angel_not:  :smile:

The book has been kindled, and will definitely be read. I am thinking that it may be when I go away later on in the year for my holiday read.  

This looks like a good series.  I'm adding it to my wishlist.

I had the initial gulping anxiety of "Oh no, a book I read is being wish listed by someone!" 

I got over it when I remembered that I enjoyed the series, and am looking forward to the next one / ones. I love discovering a new series, especially by stumbling across. I hope you enjoy them.  :smile: