Noll's 2015 Book Blog

Nollaig

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nollaig, overall how high do you rate the Harry Potter series. Obviously, I am a big Harry Potter fan. It was ages ago though that I read the books. I read each one as it came out and the, I think second book, I couldn't wait for it to come out in the U.S. and ordered it from Amazon.UK. I also bought it in the U.S. when it was released.

I only tried one audio book and didn't like it and have stuck to reading.

Good reading to you in 2015.

Hi Muggle - I'm not sure yet as I want to read the last two books before I make my decision. So far, my rating is probably hovering around the 3.5/5 mark, but she could pull it up to a 4 with the last two books. I think she has some wonderful characters and ideas, but suffers a lack of imagination at times, has no idea about pacing and is an average writer. So I'd give her 5 for the characters and ideas, even though I don't like the childishness of some things, and mark her back from there on things like pacing, long-windedness etc. So for now, 3.5, she might get a four before the end :)

Also in my book adventures, I've found two books that I'm going to read after this that both seem to deal with some form of dementia - Still Alice by Lisa Genova, which deals with a woman discovering and coming to terms with Alzheimer's, and Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey, which is about a woman who, despite suffering from dementia is convinced she had a friend named Elizabeth who went missing.

Still slogging through Long Lankin - it seems rather overly complicated for such a fundamentally simple story. I was enjoying it but 150 pages from the end now I kind of just want to finish it. Also 100 pages left in Order Of The Phoenix, so nearly there!

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey, which is about a woman who, despite suffering from dementia is convinced she had a friend named Elizabeth who went missing.

That's on my wish list.  I came across it in Waterstone's and nearly bought it a few weeks ago as it sounds great.  I hope you enjoy it when you get round to it.  :)

Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey

%7B6032EE30-954E-4D80-AD7E-F09581A3DFF8%

Synopsis from Amazon:

Maud is forgetful. She makes a cup of tea and doesn't remember to drink it. She goes to the shops and forgets why she went. Sometimes her home is unrecognizable - or her daughter Helen seems a total stranger. But there's one thing Maud is sure of: her friend Elizabeth is missing. The note in her pocket tells her so. And no matter who tells her to stop going on about it, to leave it alone, to shut up, Maud will get to the bottom of it.

Review:

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this book - the title and concept lent themselves somewhat to being a thriller - but I thought that might be difficult, given the first-person perspective of a person suffering dementia. It turned out to be more of a slow-paced mystery.

The writing is beautiful, featuring a sort of 'stream of consciousness' narrative which clearly illustrates the nature of Maud's condition without ever directly referencing it. For the most part, she is depicted as having no short term memory, which means she's quite forgetful and often becomes confused about where she is going or where she is. The fact that many things she does and says are repeated without becoming irritating is evidence of skill on the writer's part. If nothing else, this story is worth reading for Healey's success on this alone.

Throughout the novel Maud flips between her memories of her missing sister, and her attempts to find her missing friend in present day. Parallels are drawn between the two, and ultimately the mystery of Elizabeth (which stops being much of a mystery fairly early on) takes second place to solving that of her sister. The only downfall of this novel, for me, was the attempt at a resolution. I found the ending very convenient and abrupt, and honestly felt it somewhat lacking.

Overall, absolutely worth a read, but I would recommend it on the basis of the writing, rather than the story.

3.5/5

Ah well, as long as it ultimately was worth picking up, the occasional disappointing ending is okay.

I realised today that I haven't been updating the first post in this thread with new wishlist titles and with completed books - whoops! Done now. I've read 7 books so far in January - not entirely sure how, but I'm impressed with myself! Hoping to make 10, and hey, who knows, if I can keep this up maybe this will be the year I finally hit 100 books read. How ironic it would be if that happened in the first year I DON'T have a total books read aim. :lol:

I realised today that I haven't been updating the first post in this thread with new wishlist titles and with completed books - whoops! Done now. I've read 7 books so far in January - not entirely sure how, but I'm impressed with myself! Hoping to make 10, and hey, who knows, if I can keep this up maybe this will be the year I finally hit 100 books read. How ironic it would be if that happened in the first year I DON'T have a total books read aim. :lol:

Woohoo, well done you for reading 7 books so far :)!

Great review of Elizabeth is Missing Noll .. I've been debating whether to get it or not and you've not put me off :D I hardly ever like an ending so that's not too much of a problem for me and I like the sound of the rest.

Seven books is great going :) Best not to have targets .. they ultimately stop you from doing anything :D

Great review of Elizabeth is Missing Noll .. I've been debating whether to get it or not and you've not put me off :D I hardly ever like an ending so that's not too much of a problem for me and I like the sound of the rest.

I'm glad I haven't put you off, because it is genuinely a very enjoyable read. Probably even moreso for those going in knowing what to expect. I look forward to hearing your thoughts if/when you read it :D

I'm totally in awe of 7 books  :thud: you're on a roll Noll (I'm a poet and didn't know it) 

My name is pronounced like 'Null' :lol: And tis 8 books now with the one I just finished (muahaha), which I really must go and write my review for now.

My mojo will fizzle out some day soon enough. BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY. :lol:

Still Alice is one of the next books on my agenda, Diane. I'm thinking now I might even like it more than Elizabeth Is Missing because it seems to have a similar premise, but without the 'mystery' thread. And since I found the mystery thread to be ultimately disappointing... I think Still Alice could win out.

New review! Thanks again to Michelle for sending me on a copy of this!

A Robot In The Garden - Deborah Install

robot.jpg

Synopsis: What would you do if you found a robot in your back garden?  For 34-year-old Ben Chambers the answer is obvious: find out where it came from and return it home, even if it means losing his wife in the process. Determined to achieve something for once in his life, Ben embarks on a journey that takes him and the robot to the far side of the globe...and back again.

Review: A Robot In The Garden is quite a heartwarming tale of a man at the end of his rope being inspired to go on a road trip to fix a broken robot. Unsurprisingly, the story is actually about the metaphorical journey taken by Ben to become a better person as he bonds with the loveable Tang. Child-like Tang is easily the highlight of the story, which is entirely emotion- and character-driven, rather than being substantiated by a sci-fi world in which androids are man's domestic servant.

Initially I had a couple of qualms with the story, as I struggled to figure out exactly what was being set up - for instance, in a world where androids can do all your housework, why would anyone halfway across the world to check out a possible lead on the robot's origins at a company instead of just... emailing the company with photos? However, once the road trip had actually commenced I was happy to jump on board. I will admit to a couple of moments that made me tear up or giggle, with some lovely sentiments and some well-written scenes.

The tone, like the setup, struggles to balance itself a little (I've seen many reviewers comment on the 'Hotel California' sequence, as well as the climax scene, both of which lend themselves to a much darker, grittier world than the rest of the story does), but the copy I read was an unedited proof, so for all I know my issues may well be resolved before it goes to print. It is a quick and easy read, and if you go into this story expecting a light-hearted adventure centered around learning to care for yourself and for others, you won't be disappointed. And I want my own Tang.

Rating: 3.5/5

Edited by Nollaig

Ah yes - the hotel section was a bit strange. As for the trip, I think it was a spur of the moment thing the character just decided to do, and was one of the changes in him brought about by Tang. I rated it highly probably because it was light hearted (I can't settle into much more these days) and also because I simply fell in love with Tang! :D

The trip is general is fine, but MOST people who don't have thousands of dollars to burn would send an email, so that grated with me a little. That was only the first few pages though, so it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story much. If the editing is good on the proof, it might make 4 stars. I definitely enjoyed it, and I don't think there was really anything wrong with it that couldn't be fixed with a little editing. And yes, Tang was pretty adoreable haha.

Still Alice is one of the next books on my agenda, Diane. I'm thinking now I might even like it more than Elizabeth Is Missing because it seems to have a similar premise, but without the 'mystery' thread. And since I found the mystery thread to be ultimately disappointing... I think Still Alice could win out.

New review! Thanks again to Michelle for sending me on a copy of this!

A Robot In The Garden - Deborah Install

robot.jpg

Synopsis: What would you do if you found a robot in your back garden?  For 34-year-old Ben Chambers the answer is obvious: find out where it came from and return it home, even if it means losing his wife in the process. Determined to achieve something for once in his life, Ben embarks on a journey that takes him and the robot to the far side of the globe...and back again.

Review: A Robot In The Garden is quite a heartwarming tale of a man at the end of his rope being inspired to go on a road trip to fix a broken robot. Unsurprisingly, the story is actually about the metaphorical journey taken by Ben to become a better person as he bonds with the loveable Tang. Child-like Tang is easily the highlight of the story, which is entirely emotion- and character-driven, rather than being substantiated by a sci-fi world in which androids are man's domestic servant.

Initially I had a couple of qualms with the story, as I struggled to figure out exactly what was being set up - for instance, in a world where androids can do all your housework, why would anyone halfway across the world to check out a possible lead on the robot's origins at a company instead of just... emailing the company with photos? However, once the road trip had actually commenced I was happy to jump on board. I will admit to a couple of moments that made me tear up or giggle, with some lovely sentiments and some well-written scenes.

The tone, like the setup, struggles to balance itself a little (I've seen many reviewers comment on the 'Hotel California' sequence, as well as the climax scene, both of which lend themselves to a much darker, grittier world than the rest of the story does), but the copy I read was an unedited proof, so for all I know my issues may well be resolved before it goes to print. It is a quick and easy read, and if you go into this story expecting a light-hearted adventure centered around learning to care for yourself and for others, you won't be disappointed. And I want my own Tang.

Rating: 3.5/5

Great review Noll :)

I had no idea your name was pronounced that way :blush2:, thanks for enlightening me! In the Netherlands, a lot of people mis-pronounce my name, or they used to anyway, which always annoyed me (in particular if they keep doing it after I've told them many times how it is pronounced). So I'm sorry!

Noll - I've just noticed that Longbourn by Jo Baker is on your wish list. You can have my copy if you'd like it as it's on a pile of stuff I was going to take to the charity shop. :)

I'm not sure if the address I have for you is current or old though, so perhaps you could let me have it again?