Bobblybear's Book List - 2015

bobblybear

The Dinosaur Hunters - Deborah Cadbury

This was an exhaustive look at the characters and events involved in the first discoveries of dinosaur fossils......................................................

It's one of the best non-fiction books I have read. It’s well written, focuses on the characters as well as the science, and tells a very interesting story.

I've added the author's other books to my wishlist, as they seem to be something that I would also enjoy (Kraft's takeover of Cadbury, the engineering wonders of the world, and the space race).

5/6

This sounds absolutely fascinating!

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

She’s Come Undone tells the story of the colourful and painful life of Dolores Price. The book follows her from the age of five in the 1950’s, growing up in a fractured household, until she is in her mid to late 30s..

Highly recommended.

5/6

/groan/ Another one for the stacks!

I saw this somewhere and didn't think I'd care for it, but your review convinces me otherwise.  :ontome:

Just One Damned Thing After Another - Jodi Taylor

St Mary’s Institute of Historical Research is a secret organisation that has solved the mystery of time travel. In it's employ are historians who are tasked with traveling back to significant events in history to resolve any discrepancies (purely to observe what really happened, and report back).

There are quite a few books in the series (the fifth book is due to be released this year) and I will most definitely be reading the others.

4/6

OH! Expletive Deleted!  Another one!!??  :eek:  :P

Great reviews, all BB.  Keep 'em coming! :readingtwo:  :cool:

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all. :smile:  I've been so lucky this month, having had a run of brilliant books. :boogie:

Pontalba, The Dinosaur Hunters is a fascinating read, so well written in a way to hold your interest throughout the whole book. I was sad when it ended and could happily have read many more chapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated reading plan:

The Giver - Lois Lowry

Life: An Unauthorised Biography - Richard Fortey

No One Gets Out Alive - Adam Nevill (abandoned)

Misery - Stephen King

Supersense - Bruce Hood

Sworn Secret - Amanda Jennings

The Dog Stars - Peter Heller

A Dog's Purpose - W. Bruce Cameron

The Dinner - Herman Koch

The Mangle Street Murders - M.R.C Kasasian

Burial Rites - Hannah Kent

Shopped: The Shocking Power of British Supermarkets - Joanna Blythman

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs The Climate - Naomi Klein

I'm going with A Dog's Purpose next, after just having given up on No One Gets Out Alive. I'm a bit annoyed with myself, as I've had a long weekend (Friday and Monday off) in which I hoped to get loads of reading done. But I've only managed half of No One Gets Out Alive.....I should have abandoned it earlier, but I've been forcing myself to stick with it, but every time I looked at it, I just didn't feel like reading. :doh:

The Mangle Street Murders - M.R.C Kasasian

It is London in 1882, and March Middleton has been sent to live with her guardian, the famous detective Sidney Grice. A few days after her arrival, Mrs Dillinger comes to Sidney Grice (he is always referred to by his full name :D ), begging for his help to defend her son-in-law, who has been accused of murdering his wife. After Sidney Grice’s refusal, March decides to fund the investigation herself, and thus becomes a key player, much to Sidney Grice's disgruntlement.

Despite them forever being in disagreement, they actually work very well together. Sidney Grice is so amazingly rude and condescending (especially where women are concerned), but March is more than his match, and effortlessly banters back. He’s the kind of character who you should dislike with his rudeness and sexist attitude, yet he’s actually quite appealing and amusing. It’s the relationship between the two characters that makes the book such a fun read, and they have some extremely funny exchanges!

On top of that, is a great detective story. There were some gory parts in it, which I felt was a bit at odds with the light-heartedness of the story telling, but that didn't really matter too much as it was all done for a purpose. It’s very fast paced, never drags and is buoyed by the energy of the story and the main characters. The only slight downside is that the ending was a tad rushed and weak. If not for that, it would have scored top marks.

It’s a book I instantly liked, from the first page, and I will definitely be reading the next in the series. The third book is due out in June 2015. :boogie:

5.5/6

I'm going with A Dog's Purpose next, after just having given up on No One Gets Out Alive. I'm a bit annoyed with myself, as I've had a long weekend (Friday and Monday off) in which I hoped to get loads of reading done. But I've only managed half of No One Gets Out Alive.....I should have abandoned it earlier, but I've been forcing myself to stick with it, but every time I looked at it, I just didn't feel like reading. :doh:

Don't you hate it when that happens... but at least you've had the opportunity to warn others! :D  Hopefully you will love A Dog's Purpose, I found it a little slow to get going, and to get used to the style, after all it's not common to be narrated to by a dog :giggle: , but once it does get going it's wonderful and will especially ring true with dog lovers and owners.

Life: An Unauthorised Biography - Richard Fortey

I hadn't spotted this one on your list before … I'm sure I read this a long time ago and while I remember it being very good, I think I needed to take it a bit at a time, and read other things in between segments. Hope you enjoy it! :D

^ I have a feeling I tried reading it before, but couldn't stick with it. I don't mind taking my time with non-fiction lately (whereas I used to rush through them so I could read more fiction :blush2: ), so hopefully I won't find it too difficult. The subject matter is interesting, I guess it will depend on the delivery. :readingtwo:

You did the right thing in the end .. and you gave it a fair trial so no harm done and onwards and upwards. Hope your next few reads are kinder to you :hug:

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm going to have to abandon my reading plan, as a couple of books have come up that I desperately want to read immediately. :theboss:

They are Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill and The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I've just heard too many good things about them.

I only have a couple of chapters left in This Changes Everything, which to be honest is starting to drag.  :sarcastic: I will finish that today (coz I have the week off work), and then will start one of the above. 

Better to forget one's reading plans if something better comes along! Mojo is a fickle thing, it needeth constant pleasing :rolleyes::D I suppose you'll have a lot of time to read this week, aye? I hope you have a wonderful week :smile2: 

I'm very much behind in my reviews again. :sarcastic:

Misery - Stephen King

Paul Sheldon is the author of the best-selling Misery Chastain series, a sort of Victorian-time love story. Despite its success though, he is fed up of the series and desperate to separate himself from it. He has just completed the draft of his new book, in an attempt to put the Misery series behind him. Elated by this and a little drunk on champagne he chances a drive home, ignoring the severe weather warning. The inevitable happens, his car is run off the road, but lucky for him his number one fan just happens to be there to rescue him. :blink:

Annie Wilkes lives in a very remote area. After rescuing Paul, she sets him up in a spare room in her small farmhouse and begins to treat him. He is injured quite badly with his legs broken in multiple places and will clearly take a fair bit of time, and proper hospital care to get back to full strength. Soon, it’s clear that things aren’t quite right with Annie; she drops a few hints that she was a bit heavy-handed with the medication in the early days, and also has several irrational outbursts of rage, that makes Paul realise that he must be ever so careful around her.

Then the latest and final Misery book is released, and Annie is one of the first in town to get the copy. Eagerly she starts reading, but when she finds out that Paul has killed off her beloved Misery Chastain....well, let's just say she becomes a little bit unhinged, and makes it clear to Paul that he will not be released from her care until he finds a way to bring Misery back to life.

This was a re-read for me, but I still enjoyed it this time around (it must be the third time I've read it). If you've seen the movie, then in a way the movie has taken over certain key scenes, and I'd gotten a bit mixed up between what happened in the movie and what happened in the book. They are only minor differences though, but certain scenes in the movie stick in your mind (if you've seen the movie you know what I'm talking about), and are more memorable (due to how graphic they are) than what is described in the book.

The character of Annie Wilkes is truly terrifying, especially when you realise that there aren't many limits to what she is capable of. There are moments of real tension as well (even though I knew exactly what to expect). I thought some of the excerpts of the Misery novel were a bit unnecessary and pure filler, and didn't pay that much attention to reading them.

Worth the re-read but I doubt I would read it again.

3/6

A quarter through the year and I've already bought 24 books. :thud:

Oh, and I'm massively behind on reviews as well. :hide:  I just can't seem to focus lately. Between working full time and studying, I just don't seem to have much energy left. :doh:

Shopped: The Shocking Power of British Supermarkets - Joanna Blythman

This is a study on how supermarkets have transformed the habits of consumers, and the impact they have had on modern life. In the 1950s, supermarkets only had a 20% share of the market, and small shops had an 80% share, but by the 1990s this was reversed.

Our eating habits are seen as the worst in Europe, and the trend for most families has been to rely on supermarkets for most of our grocery needs. As such, we have given our control to these large stores and instead of them stocking what consumers want, they have moulded what consumers buy and eat.

The book was a bit repetitive and also a bit dated (I thought I was getting an updated edition, but this one was done in the early 2000s and it shows, as there is reference to supermarkets that no longer exist). It was a bit of an eyeopener, and I think the majority have heard of the exploitative power of supermarkets, but it is interesting to read of these tactics spelled out in black and white.

A few things surprised me: supermarkets reject a lot of produce (sometimes 50% of what is sent in), but that doesn't mean the product gets returned to the grower – it just means that the supermarket keeps it for other purposes but doesn't have to pay for it. :o There are also many strict guidelines on colour and size and shape of food – like within a specific mm range for tomatoes for example, with colour charts deeming what is acceptable and not. I vaguely knew this took place, but it kind of surprised me that they would have colour charts, etc.

An interesting read, but make sure you get the updated version.

4/6

No One Gets Out Alive - Adam Nevill (abandoned)

I didn't finish this book. It bummed me out to have to abandon a book so soon, but I disliked it so much that I couldn't force myself to carry on.

My first problem was the repetitiveness of the events. Yes, we get that Stephanie hears odd noises in the house, and hears footsteps outside her room but cannot see anyone. We don't need to read in detail that it happens night after night. I was like reading the same chapter many times over, but with slightly different dialogue. :doh:

My next problem were the characters. Stephanie was just pathetic and weak, with no common-sense and far too wishy-washy for my liking. Quite frankly, I am amazed she managed to dress herself in the morning, without anyone telling her how to do it.  :sarcastic:  The villains were completely over the top. Their way of speaking (the dialogue was written phoenetically which grated on my nerves big time) and the way they conducted themselves was such an exaggeration that they were caricature-like rather than people.

After reading the reviews on Amazon, I'm sure I made the right decision in abandoning it, as it seems like the story is very repetitive until about three-quarters through, and it's only then that earlier events are explained, etc.

Having said that, there were some genuinely scary moments, but unfortunately these were far outweighed by the negatives I've listed above.

I wouldn't want to completely write off Nevill, as many reviews have said this one isn't his best, but I think it will be a while before I give him another go.

1/6