Andrea's books 2015

~Andrea~

Great haul! I haven't heard of that Susan Hill book before, but anything she writes is automatically on my wishlist because I loved The Woman in Black so much. :)

That Penguin boxset looks interesting! I noticed there's a title called Lizzie Borden. I found out about her late last year, around the time I read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I can't remember if she was mentioned in the book (it's about a serial killer in Chicago), or if my further research after reading the book brought up her name, but it's certainly an interesting story. A couple of movies/TV adaptations have been made about her life, including an episode of The Twilight Zone that's based on her story (but it uses different names, I think).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed both of those Gillian Flynn books. :smile:

I've just started Sharp Objects actually. Liking it so far!

I hope you enjoy your new books :):readingtwo:!

Thank you. I look forward to getting stuck in.

Great haul! I haven't heard of that Susan Hill book before, but anything she writes is automatically on my wishlist because I loved The Woman in Black so much. :)

That Penguin boxset looks interesting! I noticed there's a title called Lizzie Borden. I found out about her late last year, around the time I read The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. I can't remember if she was mentioned in the book (it's about a serial killer in Chicago), or if my further research after reading the book brought up her name, but it's certainly an interesting story. A couple of movies/TV adaptations have been made about her life, including an episode of The Twilight Zone that's based on her story (but it uses different names, I think).

They're tiny little books Kylie. Short stories and articles really. I thought it'd be handy to keep one or two in my handbag in case I ever gets stuck waiting somewhere. I look forward to getting to the Lizzie Borden. I might even slip that one in first :)

• 4 weeks later...

I finished Sharp Objects and I loved it!! I think I liked it more than Gone Girl actually. It's a real page-turner and even though I couldn't wait to get to the end I'm now sad that I can't read it anymore - a sign of a good book!!

I started A Seaside Affair by Fern Britten last night. I'm not loving it so far, there's a lot of info-dumping to set up characters and setting. I'll give it another 15 pages then if it doesn't improve it's out. It only cost me 20p or so so no drama.

I finished Sharp Objects and I loved it!! I think I liked it more than Gone Girl actually. It's a real page-turner and even though I couldn't wait to get to the end I'm now sad that I can't read it anymore - a sign of a good book!!

I've mainly heard negative thoughts on SO (people basically saying it was no good compared to Flynn's latter novels), so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've yet to read it myself. I much preferred Dark Places to Gone Girl, I hope you will like that novel, too :smile2: 

In some ways it wasn't as tightly written as Gone Girl but overall I enjoyed the characters, story and ending better. Hope you like it if you read it. Looking forward to Dark Places :D

I've given up on A Seaside Affair. It's just not that well written (more telling than showing) and possibly even contains some product placement (I could forgive that if the book was awesome enough). Most of all I was finding it dull and bland so it's going in the charity pile.

I tried a bit more of my philosophy book and Godric after that. Godric is well-written but hard going and I think I've worked out why. It's prose but very rhythmical prose and could almost be blank verse. So I find it a lot slower to read. I'm about half way through and determined to finish it. It's almost like a series of little episodes and spiritual ponderings rather than a plot driven novel, so I can dip in and out of it quite well.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished the Asylum a few weeks ago. I thought it was really good.

When Georgina Ferrars wakes up in an asylum with no memory of the last three weeks, everybody else thinks she is Lucy Ashton, a person of whom she has never heard. Desperate to escape the Asylum and unlock the mystery of who she is, she sets out to piece together the mystery of her identity and how she got here.

I really enjoyed this, it had me gripped from page one. It's set in Victorian Times and is a pastiche of a Victorian Gothic novel. It's one of those stories that intrigues from the outset and I couldn't wait to find out what was going on.

The only criticism I had was that the ending was a bit melodramatic.

I've mainly heard negative thoughts on SO (people basically saying it was no good compared to Flynn's latter novels), so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I've yet to read it myself. I much preferred Dark Places to Gone Girl, I hope you will like that novel, too :smile2:

In some ways it wasn't as tightly written as Gone Girl but overall I enjoyed the characters, story and ending better. Hope you like it if you read it. Looking forward to Dark Places :D

I've started reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. It will probably take me forever as my reading mojo is AWOL at the mo, possibly because everything in my life seems to be going badly right now :D

So funny you should now be reading Dark Places, because I just read Sharp Objects :D Especially when we just recently had a convo about the two books :D I know you loved the latter, but I'd heard from a few other sources that SO wasn't as good as Gone Girl, and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but I really, really did! I liked it better than GG :smile2: Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on DP!! (And wishing your mojo returns with a vengeance :devcat:)

And hey... If everything in your life is going badly at the moment... The only way is up!! :yes:  :empathy:   I'm currently also in a real slump, so I can sympathize with you  :friends3:  You'll pull through!

Edited by frankie

So funny you should now be reading Dark Places, because I just read Sharp Objects :D Especially when we just recently had a convo about the two books :D I know you loved the latter, but I'd heard from a few other sources that SO wasn't as good as Gone Girl, and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, but I really, really did! I liked it better than GG :smile2: Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on DP!! (And wishing your mojo returns with a vengeance :devcat:)

And hey... If everything in your life is going badly at the moment... The only way is up!! :yes:  :empathy:   I'm currently also in a real slump, so I can sympathize with you  :friends3:  You'll pull through!

Yea it's good isn't it. You're right. The only way IS up :D Thanks Frankie. Sorry to hear you're in a slump too :( We can both slump together :D

Yeah we can slump together for a while and revel in it :D But not to the point where it starts too feel like a home... :D We'll be moving onwards and upwards soon enough :yes:  :friends3:

You're right. Slumps are just temporary we'll be back on track before you know it :D

Hugs for everyone in slumps!

I hear a lot of Marmite reactions to this Gillian Flynn one. Not sure if I should give her a go, but I'm pretty sure if I do I won't read Gone Girl.

Thank you :) You don't like the sound of Gone Girl then? One thing I would say is I think she is a great writer. Her prose is great.

Hugs for everyone in slumps!

You're right. Slumps are just temporary we'll be back on track before you know it :D

It's starting already... We will soon be slumphug millionaires! :D

Edited by frankie

• 3 weeks later...