Anna reads in 2015

Anna Begins

I like my horror weak, in fact horror is far too scary for me, sometimes psychological thrillers can give me too much of the creeps. I'm a real scaredy cat.

I'm the same way. A lot of my reading gets done before bed because it is the only time I have and thrillers or horror would definitely not help me sleep. I've gotten anxious and scared reading a Nicholas Sparks book. I don't think I could handle horror  :giggle2:

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

three.jpg

Title: Yesterday’s Gone Season Three (Episodes 13-18)

Authors:  Sean Platt and David Wright

Genre: Post- Apocalyptic, horror, science Fiction

Pages 462

Ah!  This series was so good!

There are 6 Episodes for each Season in this self-proclaimed “Post- Apocalyptic Serial Thriller” and this is the big one, the one that lays it all out... Season Three.  I guess it does turn more into a thriller in Season Three, but there is still a lot of horror.  There is a lot more violence in these books than in most I’ve read and the language of a main character is extremely colorful.  But you sort of get desensitized and are rewarded as Season Three tells the tale and it is quite the tale.  A lot of the cool stuff about this serial I can not divulge, as it would simply spoil it.  But it is fun to pick up on all the little hidden gems, as Platt and Wright play with the names of characters and with Good vs Evil themes.

Season Three drags for the first time since the whole saga began, about 40% in, but most of that was the characters putting the pieces of October 15th together.  Flashbacks going from before “The Event” to 5 months after, added some confusion.  At the end, I smiled and sat back, fully satisfied. 

This was a great series that kept me riveted and frightened til the end.   It is one horrific and dark tale, and one I won’t soon forget… but one that was damn fun.  These three Seasons have added up to 1,488 pages for me.

Edit- and props to Sean Platt and David Wright for even trying serialized fiction and introducing me to the genre!

Edited by Anna Begins

I'm the same way. A lot of my reading gets done before bed because it is the only time I have and thrillers or horror would definitely not help me sleep. I've gotten anxious and scared reading a Nicholas Sparks book. I don't think I could handle horror  :giggle2:

:giggle2:...  :blush2: ...  :friends3:!!. And as for watching horror films  :o  :hide:. I don't think I've seen a horror film since Carrie – it was a great film but...*shudder*

:giggle2:...  :blush2: ...  :friends3:!!. And as for watching horror films  :o  :hide:. I don't think I've seen a horror film since Carrie – it was a great film but...*shudder*

You know, for some reason, I just like my horror in books.  These were by far the most terrifying books I have read.  I was just thinking, as well this morning, I am sort of the same way with violence.  I can read it, but if it is racial or hate violence, it makes me really upset.  I guess with reading horror, my mind doesn't get away from me, but watching it, I see it over and over in my head.  The last scary movie I saw was Aliens (on video), but I can count on my one hand how many horror movies I've seen! 

I'm glad you enjoyed reading these three seasons, Anna :)! Great review.

Thanks!  I really enjoyed them.  It's amazing what two writers can do when they only communicate through technology.  Hey!  Maybe I can use that for my paper...

Edited by Anna Begins

Ya , there was no way I was reading Seasons One or Two at night :hide:

:giggle2: I would have nightmares even if I read them at 8 AM. 

My friends have forced me to go see two horror films in theaters and I almost cried both times. Along with nightmares for a week or so and paranoia for a month.  :blush2:

The last scary movie I saw was Aliens (on video), but I can count on my one hand how many horror movies I've seen! 

I watched Aliens once at home, but never again!  :o . Nor any of the sequels, ias t's just not my cup of tea. :giggle2:

:giggle2: I would have nightmares even if I read them at 8 AM. 

My friends have forced me to go see two horror films in theaters and I almost cried both times. Along with nightmares for a week or so and paranoia for a month.  :blush2:

:giggle2:  :friends3: . But there is one film that I have seen many times, and have loved it every time is Psycho  :D  . Go figure that one, psychiatrists!   :giggle2:

That's an idea :)!

I started my paper with it as an attention grabbing introduction to the paper :D

I watched Aliens once at home, but never again!  :o . Nor any of the sequels, ias t's just not my cup of tea. :giggle2:

But there is one film that I have seen many times, and have loved it every time is Psycho  :D  . Go figure that one, psychiatrists!   :giggle2:

OMG Aliens was so scary!  It was around the time the one with Winona Ryder came out and I was with someone who just INSISTED I had to watch the whole series before I got to see the WR one.  I had the bed covers up to my chin watching that.  Needless to say, I never say the WR one, Resurrection.   :lol:  Psycho is a good book too!

That's terrible- I would probably cry too though :P  

Well, I've been a tad bit naughty and pre-ordered

Jason Hewitt- The Dynamite Room

and

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig.

The Dynamite Room was from Claire's review, like, a month ago lol, the Matt Haig one I've been interested in for awhile, and now that I read Michelle's review, it made me even more interested.

Also, Mockingjay Pt 1 just came out, so I bought it for my kindle.  :blush2:  :hide:

I don't think I have ever pre ordered anything!

Well, I've been a tad bit naughty and pre-ordered

Jason Hewitt- The Dynamite Room

and

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig.

The Dynamite Room was from Claire's review, like, a month ago lol, the Matt Haig one I've been interested in for awhile, and now that I read Michelle's review, it made me even more interested.

Ooh how exciting! :D

I'm waiting for Dynamite Room from the library, and Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig  :exc:

bones.jpg

Title: The Lovely Bones

Author: Alice Sebold

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Pages: 352

Read: 2/15- 2/21

Synopsis, from Amazon:

"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."

So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her.

My thoughts:

I felt just ok about this book.  I read this one not fast, not slow, just sort of eh.  I was constantly waiting for certain things to happen.  When they did, they fell short.  The most important actions of the book I wish were made bigger, they get lost in the way the narrative is set- the way Susie sums up everything was very irritating to me.   Even though the story takes place over several decades, I think certain events could have been more significant.  As a result, I think the characterization of the other people in the story was shallow.  It seemed like it was going for that “under 400 pages” type book.  The Lovely Bones was darker than most “I’m in heaven” type story lines, which I liked.  I thought a major part of the end was hokey and perverted almost.  The end predictable and/ or inevitable.  I wouldn’t recommend this book.

Just FYI, from Sebolds’ Lucky:

Alice Sebold's compelling memoir of her rape at the age of eighteen is a story that takes hold of you and won't let go.  Sebold fulfills a promise that she made to herself in the very tunnel where she was raped: someday she would write a book about her experience.

Edited by Anna Begins

Very interesting review Anna - I seem to remember thinking the same as you. A shame, because the premise is great, a really different take on the heaven theme.

Whew- then I am not alone!  I haven't read any other reviews of it, except Athena's.  I did like the different take on the whole heaven thing though. 

I read The Lovely Bones years ago. It was ok but I wasn't jumping with joy about it. But, an ok read.

That's kinda how I feel about it as well.

Great review! It's a shame you didn't enjoy the book so much. I agree it was a nice different take on 'heaven' and all that. I think I know which things you're referring to in your review, so I've sent you a PM with the spoilers to ask if that is what you meant (as to not spoil anyone who hasn't read it etc.).

I think it's nice for Sebold she's wrote a book about her rape, as that is something so painful, and writing about it might help to deal with it. I don't know if I could read it, it might be difficult to do so as it might be graphic or uncomfortable to read about it.

I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

That does feel the way I felt after The Lovely Bones, a sort of disquiet or unease at the whole way it was happening. A very good review Anna  :smile:

Thanks!

The scene where Susie leaves Heaven and enters Ruth's body to have sex with Ray

is very strange.

Great review! It's a shame you didn't enjoy the book so much. I agree it was a nice different take on 'heaven' and all that. I think I know which things you're referring to in your review, so I've sent you a PM with the spoilers to ask if that is what you meant (as to not spoil anyone who hasn't read it etc.).

I think it's nice for Sebold she's wrote a book about her rape, as that is something so painful, and writing about it might help to deal with it. I don't know if I could read it, it might be difficult to do so as it might be graphic or uncomfortable to read about it.

I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

I will reply :)  And ya, that book sounds very harsh and hard to take.  But I thought I would

draw a comparison on how Susie was raped and killed in that underground tunnel.

I'll be curious to see what you pick up next, now the autism book is finished.

I've read Lucky, and it is a very good read (though "good" isn't the right word, given the subject matter). She is so brave, and doesn't hold back at all. There are parts that are very graphic and very detailed, but the thing that comes though the most is how strong Sebold was in dealing with it all. She kept fighting back all the way through the process, and never came across as being intimidated or scared after everything that had happened. It's well worth the read, if you can handle the subject matter.

The book I just read was a fictional story about rape, so it would be really interesting to read a true account of what happened to someone. It's amazing that she could even write a book about that. How strong.