Your Book Activity - December 2014

Athena

I can hardly believe it's December already! What's your book activity today?

Yesterday evening I started to read Chrissy Manby - Proper Family 2: A Proper Family Christmas, which is enjoyable so far. According to GoodReads it's part of this series but it's not on the book itself and so far I can easily follow the story. I'm intruiged to see what'll happen with the characters. The story is told from multiple perspectives. I guess this book marks my start to reading some Christmas and wintery themed books, this December.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame if the book isn't really interesting to you :(. I'd say if you're not at all interested in finding out what happens at the end, it might be better to abandon it but if you're curious it might be worth persisting. I personally don't like to abandon books, though it does happen now and then that I abandon one. I hope your next read will be more enjoyable, whatever you decide to do.

I finished Revival by Stephen King last night. I need a new book to read and don't really have any ideas. I will have to think on it today. :) I have 4 or 5 books on hold at the library but in the meantime I need something.

My gosh, that is right- today is the 1st!  :o

I've got two reads going on right now, 50% in John Grisham's A Time to Kill and 40% in Dostoyevsky's House of the Dead.  Both are going well, if a little dark!  :grinhat:  

I finished the Robert Vaughn book, certainly enjoyed it a lot! 

Thanks to Ruth for reminding me of it!  I bought a copy and when I input it to Library Thing, I was told I already had it....... :blush2:  :giggle2:

I finished Revival by Stephen King last night. I need a new book to read and don't really have any ideas. I will have to think on it today. :) I have 4 or 5 books on hold at the library but in the meantime I need something.

I just downloaded from the library "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway. That should hold me for a few days. :)

I've finished both The Final Silence by Stuart Neville and Lord John and The Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon tonight.  No review, yet.  Still swirling. :)

Not sure what is next.

I decided to add Stuart MacBride's Broken Skin to my current read of The Light Between Oceans by M.L.Stedman. I've read Cold Granite and Dying Light, the two books that proceed Broken Skin, and enjoyed the journey through the pages of both. I'm hoping Stuart MacBride's third book in the series will be an equally satisfying jaunt.

I've finished both The Final Silence by Stuart Neville and Lord John and The Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon tonight.  No review, yet.  Still swirling. :)

I'm interested to know what you think of the Diana Gabaldon book. I saw some of the Lord John's books in Dutch for sale at the book fair. Obviously I'll be reading the Outlander series first, and I didn't buy those books, but I'm curious how they mix in with that series and whether you liked the book.

I finished A Proper Family Christmas and am not sure yet what I'll read next. I want something short that I can finish before the read-a-thon starts, but I don't want to read too much in the next three days because otherwise I might be burned out by the time it's the read-a-thon. I don't want to read too little either though because I love reading, and because I'm too tired to instead watch something or play a game, in my spare time. Those things are even more tiring than reading for me, so that's not a good idea. If I can't read too much, what will I do?!

EDIT: I started to read Wes Crenshaw - I Always Want to Be Where I'm Not: Succesful Living with ADD and ADHD, which is a ~245 page book (on my Kindle). I specifically didn't pick a fiction read I really wanted to read, because I was worried I'd end up doing too much reading then. So I picked something, an information book, that'll be less of a pull for me to read quickly, but hopefully I might be able to finish it in a few days. If not, then it doesn't matter so much as there are no intruiging plot points yelling me to get back to it :P. The first few pages are interesting, so far :).

Edited by Athena

I'm interested to know what you think of the Diana Gabaldon book. I saw some of the Lord John's books in Dutch for sale at the book fair. Obviously I'll be reading the Outlander series first, and I didn't buy those books, but I'm curious how they mix in with that series and whether you liked the book.

I've put up a review over on my thread.  I didn't like it half as much as the Outlander series, and actually not as well as the other two Lord John books I've read.  This one just seemed flat. It rather felt like milking the original, not written for itself. 

I've put up a review over on my thread.  I didn't like it half as much as the Outlander series, and actually not as well as the other two Lord John books I've read.  This one just seemed flat. It rather felt like milking the original, not written for itself.

Awww, that's a shame. I'll go read the review!

I abandoned I Always Want to Be Where I'm Not after reading 24% of it. I didn't recognise myself at all and found the language patronising and problems glossed over, making it seem as if they're no big deal.

Instead, I'm going to read Gayle Foreman - Als Ik Blijf 1: Als Ik Blijf (If I Stay).

Edited by Athena

Just bought book 2 and 3 of Ken Follett's Century Trilogy, Winter of the World and Edge of Eternity (I already own Fall of Giants).  I also picked up a Kindle Single story by Helen Childress called Old Girls in Low Cotton and a 51 page interview with American Historian Ken Burns. Somehow, a 5,000 word science fiction piece from Wool author Hugh Howey called Glitch and another Single by him, called The Walk Up Nameless Ridge ended up downloaded as well  :giggle2:   My Christmas presents early :grinhat: