Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson

Michelle

Reckoning, a YA dystopian, is by Kerry Wilkinson, who until now has been better known as a crime writer. I do believe that if this had been published earlier, it may have made more of an impact on me, but I've read too many YA dystopians now, and I saw too many aspects of other books, such as The Hunger Games, and Divergent. Saying that though, I know some haven't read these, or didn't get on well with them, so maybe Reckoning could bring something to them.

It features Silver Blackthorn, who lives in a UK ruined by civil war, and ruled by a King Victor. Although life is difficult, and most technology is long since broken and gone, everyone has a thinkwatch, which is used to send messages, act as a calender, and also show their status in society by it's face colour. At 16, everyone undergoes The Reckoning, where they are placed into four groups. There's not much discussion about these groups, but maybe that's to come in further books.

From these 16 year olds, some are selected to be an Offering, and are sent to work for the King. No one really knows much about this, but the rumours make it sound a positive thing. Silver is chosen to go, and from there we find more about the King and his castle.

There are some good concepts in the book, but I never really felt a sense of danger for Silver, and none of the characters really stood out. However, by the time I finished the book, I was interested in finding out where the story goes next.

So, not a stand out book for me personally, but for those who love their dystopians, worth checking out.