The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

I watched a few films over Christmas, can't remember what order but they included:

Oz The Great And Powerful - this film was advertised as coming to cinemas but I never heard anything after that - I heard no reviews or response at all, it seemed to slip under radars. Decided to give it a go, and while it certainly wasn't a first rate film (pandering far too much to 3-D) it was still a very enjoyable, often funny and clever little adventure film. Would definitely watch it again.

Elysium - Borrrrrrring. Interesting concept but underwhelming execution leading to a film that felt like it should have been great but was immediately forgettable.

World War Z- I'm not a fan of zombie films (except Warm Bodies, which isn't really about zombies at all) and lord knows just seeing Mr. Pitt's face is enough to make me wanna punch it a little bit - but this was a good film. I haven't read the book, despite it sitting on my pile for the last year or so. But the character Pitt played was sufficiently well written in and of himself to add likeability to the actor, and the premise was certainly intriguing. As I dislike zombie films beyond finding out what caused the thing, now that I know the thing I probably wouldn't watch it again (it seemed to have very little substance around it's admittedly-awesome action) but I would recommend watching it once.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in catch up mode at the moment, and this afternoon, finally saw The Hunger Games. I was pretty impressed with it, and it's been quite a while since I read the book, so while I know they did make some changes, I couldn't actually figure out what they were! :D

I enjoyed The Hunger Games but thought Catching Fire was even better. Hopefully you'll get to see it soon. :)

Interesting … I thought she was perfect as Katniss, exactly what I'd imagined.  I can't remember if I already knew she was playing her in the film when I read the books though, which obviously would have influenced me.

I need to watch it again to be honest, netflix wasn't playing that day, Jennifer Lawrence did do a good job, I just didn't see her as Katniss. :)

The last movie I saw was 'Sixteen Candles' :)

Edited by Weave

We finally got around to watching the first new Star Trek film this evening.  Having never seen a Star Trek film and no more than about 10 minutes of the original series, let alone any of the subsequent series, I actually quite enjoyed it.  We've got Star Trek Into Darkness lined up ready for next weekend. :)

x

I'm glad you liked it! I also hadn't seen a whole lot of Star Trek when I saw the new film, and I liked it too. I hope you like the second new film as well.

@ Chaliepud

I like that film too, did your daughter like it?

I'm the same! Was never into Star Trek until my ex-BF took me to see the first (new) ST movie, and then current BF took me to see the second (I seem to attract the nerdy Trekky/Dr Who types ;)). I've watched a few episodes here and there now, and I plan to go all the way back to the beginning at some point and try to catch up (should only take a couple of years!)

Yes .. brilliant movie. I always try to catch it when it's on :)

I think Hepburn (actually, both Hepburns) is (are) just about the greatest thing since sliced bread (or perhaps you would appreciate the analogy more if I said 'the greatest thing since toast'? :D) I bought her autobiography recently (Katharine's, not Audrey's).

American Hustle

Was it as good as everyone is saying it is?

World War Z- I'm not a fan of zombie films (except Warm Bodies, which isn't really about zombies at all) and lord knows just seeing Mr. Pitt's face is enough to make me wanna punch it a little bit - but this was a good film. I haven't read the book, despite it sitting on my pile for the last year or so. But the character Pitt played was sufficiently well written in and of himself to add likeability to the actor, and the premise was certainly intriguing. As I dislike zombie films beyond finding out what caused the thing, now that I know the thing I probably wouldn't watch it again (it seemed to have very little substance around it's admittedly-awesome action) but I would recommend watching it once.

I haven't seen this or read the book yet, but I want to do both.

I know you said you're not really into zombie movies, but perhaps you might one day consider watching Warm Bodies, Zombieland and/or Shaun of the Dead? They're all hilarious (and heart-warming) takes on the zombie genre. I think you would particularly appreciate Warm Bodies, which has many parallels with Romeo and Juliet (and the starring zombie is the kid from About a Boy).

The last movie I saw was 'Sixteen Candles' :)

Aw, great movie! I've become quite a fan of Molly Ringaold.

Just been to see 'The Railway Man'....thoroughly depressed when I came out :blush2:. Colin Firth was very good in it though...as were all the cast. Harrowing movie to make I bet.

Yesterday I watched the new version of 'Carrie'.I thought that it was good that the film featured some things that are in the novel, that were not in the original film but overall, I was quite disappointed. It's too 'Hollywood' for me. The cast, particularly Carrie, were too pretty. In the book she is supposed to be pretty, but quirky looking, and the special effects were overblown. The ending.....well that was weird.

This afternoon, I watched '12 Years a Slave', a harrowing, but brilliant film.

Edited by karen.d