• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

034-2014-June-30-TheFaultinOurStars_zpsc

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The ‘blurb’
"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once."

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

I downloaded this for my daughter, who isn’t a big reader but who expressed an interest. She read it in two sittings! I didn’t know much about the story, although I’d have been hard pushed not to know of the book, but she nagged me to read it myself so I did!

16-year-old cancer sufferer Hazel goes to a support group for kids in a similar situation to her. She largely goes to appease her parents and it is a chore for her… until she meets Augustus. They hit it off and start to spend time together. They swap favourite books and Hazel tells him that she is dissatisfied with the ending of her chosen story and so Augustus tries to track the author down…

I enjoyed this book but I didn’t love it. I expected to be quite emotional (I cry at the drop of a hat normally) but I wasn’t – which isn’t like me at all. I’m not sure why really. I enjoyed the story but I just didn’t warm to the characters. I realise I’m in a minority here, but there it is! I did like John Green’s writing style, and it hasn’t put me off trying another of his, but it just didn’t have that ‘wow’ factor for me.

I kind of wish I’d saved it to read when we go to Amsterdam next month, but then again I’ll probably be too busy/tired to read much! 

The paperback edition is 336 pages long and is published by Penguin. It was first published in 2013. The ISBN is 9780141345659.

3½/5... maybe (I enjoyed it)

(Finished 30 June 2014)

I did enjoy the book a lot, and was quite taken by the characters. It may be because the personalities of Hazel and Augustus reminded me of two people I knew in my early teens, so I had an in built affection for their often borderline pretentious conversations and a warmth toward their developing relationship. Tears were definitely shed too. I passed the book onto my Mum, who also enjoyed it, and even weeks later is talking about Isaac and worrying for him.

It's one of those types of read though, both character wise and subject matter wise that polarises opinion. I can understand completely why young adults especially have been taken by the book.  

I am surprised to read so many people felt the same as me.  I thought I'd be in a minority on here for some reason. 

Chrissy - I think it's a great book for teens.  As I said, my daughter (she's 17 now) doesn't read but she loved it and she's since gone on to read something called Divergent.  I don't know if that's similar or not?

She's taken a shine to my Kindle.  I am considering buying a new one (the one with the light) so I might go ahead and do that and give her my old one if it means she's going to read more.  :)

Divergent is a dystopian trilogy, it's not really like TFiOS. But I hope she enjoys it, though! I really liked Divergent too (the first book in the series is called Divergent). It takes place in a futuristic world where the people are divided into five factions. Teenagers, when they become 16, have to take a test and then choose which faction they want to belong to. It's got action as well as slower moments and there's some great characters in it in my opinion.

My children are away on holiday at the moment.  I'm really missing them - the house is so quiet!  We don't see so much of Luke these days because he's always out, but Abi spends quite a lot of time with me watching films whilst I iron.  Anyway, to console myself I bought The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons for £1.39 and Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie for £1.99 in two local charity shops.  :D

They only left yesterday morning.  Clearly I shall have to avoid shops until they get back next Tuesday!  :giggle2:

I've been really awfully bad in keeping tabs of the reading logs this year, and it shows when you see that I'm now about to get back to on some posts that were made in blooming April!!! :rolleyes: I really want to get back on track with other people's reading logs. The annoying thing is, when I sometimes do that, and go through the new posts in reading logs, sometimes a few of them go 'missing', meaning when I go back to 'view new content' there are no threads there eventhough there were at least six the last time I checked before going into one of them to read it. I hate it when that happens! This time I've actually written a list on my notepad so I can cross off people name's from the list when I've been to their reading log. 

I went off Tom Baker for a while after seeing him in a TV adaptation of The Lives and loves of a She-Devil in the (I think) 1980s. I didn’t watch the series but my parents did and I came into the room just in time to see him naked and strapped to a bed! It was shocking seeing one of ‘my’ Doctor Whos in such a compromising situation! 

I had to google Tom Baker because the name doesn't ring any bells... 

And the first image I saw was this: 

Tom-Baker-source_horrorcultfilms.co_.uk_

And now I have this very disturbing image of him strapped to a bed, with those eyes bulging :lol: :lol:  :hide:   Poor Jänet, it can't have been a good experience for you!

Let’s hope she does write another – maybe in a few years time. I’d like to know how

Bridget’s new relationship fared

and how she copes with teenagers!

Oh I'd love to read about that! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Hmm.  About that…

2014NewBooks3_zps31f2eb4d.jpg

What can I say, I needed to buy that for May’s RC.  

Well it was mandatory reading. :giggle2: A bit like having to buy a text book for school. And besides, who could resist such a beautiful cover!? 

Thanks Janet!

(btw, I noticed Frankie sometimes spells your name with an ä, what's the correct way to spell your name?)

My real name is Janet - the umlaut is as a result of a conversation that frankie and I had a long time ago (I can't even remember exactly what it was about now!) and I added it to my Facebook name as a joke - and it stuck.  :)

Haha! Well I happen to remember how it came about. I don't remember why, but ages and ages ago I told you, Jänet, that if I were to spell your name as we Finns would, according to how your name is pronounced, your 'a' would have umlauts :) The 'J' is more difficult and I won't get into it, but the 'a' would be 'ä' in Finnish. I think it was in context of you mentioning you liking umlauts, and I told you your name would have one... :) Oh dear, I didn't explain that very well at all, did I? :D

I still love it how it's incorporated in your FB profile :D Do you get people asking about it? 

The Elegance of the Hedgehog  by Muriel Barbery

... One pivotal quote “Madame Michel has the elegance of the hedgehog: on the outside, she's covered in quills, a real fortress, but my gut feeling is that on the inside, she has the same simple refinement as the hedgehog: a deceptively indolent little creature, fiercely solitary - and terribly elegant." really shows the poetical nature of this novel and I’m glad I persevered to the end.  I didn’t love it, but I really grew to like it, and that was good enough for me.  

I'm so happy you ended up liking it, and that there was that turning point in the novel to make you like it. This was an RC book maybe back in 2012... Hosted by yours truly! I really enjoyed the book but there were mixed opinions. Some liked the girl in the novel, some liked the woman... Mixed opinions! 

The hedgehog reference makes me think of someone who was describing Finnish people: we are like pineapple (or something of the sort..): a hard exterior, not easy to get into, but when you do get into us, we are soft inside and likable =) As opposed to some people who seem very friendly on the exterior but are very difficult to really relate to and to get to know on the inside. I'd rather be the pineapple =)

Not part of my review, but as a Book Club we read the book and then watched the film before discussing The Elegance of the Hedgehog.  The film has several significant differences from the book - one rather major one is...

do not read this if you intend to read the book and/or watch the film...

In the book - and this is a major part of the storyline and of Renée's life - Renée has a sister who dies young. Her death has a profound effect on Renée and shapes who she becomes. This detail is omitted entirely from the film.

I did enjoy the film, and had I not read the book the detail in the spoiler wouldn't matter to the film - but as I knew of its existence, it's omission irritated me a little bit!  I thought the characterisation in the film was pretty much spot on though, especially Renée.   

Was it the French original movie? I tried watching it but just couldn't get into it at all and I really didn't like the kid with the camera. I don't know why :D And why would they not include that one rather significant thing in the movie?! Mind boggles. 

I'm interested in the Goddard book but it's a shame you didn't like The Elegance of the Hedgehog so much, the book is on my wishlist after reading about it in one of my books about books, it has low priority though and I might remove it when I redo my wishlist.

Have you given away your copy already? I'm not in any way disrespecting Jänet's review (and she did actually say she liked the book in the end!), but personally I would say give the book a go :) I really liked it :) Although it might not be to your liking in the end.

A Very Long Engagement  by Sébastien Japrisot

I had a copy of this but tried reading it and couldn't get into it at all. The start was difficult for some reason! So I gave away the copy... But after reading your review I'm adding the title to my wishlist :) Maybe I just tried reading it at a wrong time. That happens a lot!

025-2014-May-07-BustersDiaries_zps68439b

I can't remember if I already added this to my wishlist after seeing you add it to your GR account and rating it so highly, but I'm adding it now if it's not on my wishlist already! :)

I received this lovely parcel in the post last week...  see if you can guess who sent it?

PresentfromKay1_zpsd8b04a91.jpg

:lol: Yes, I did guess and I guessed right :D What a lovely pressie! 

026-2014-May-15-TroublewithLichen_zps541

Trouble with Lichen by John Wyndham

I think you can no longer say you don't read sci-fi much and don't know your way around it :giggle2: You are becoming a well-read sci-fi enthusiast! :D 

A Kind Man by Susan Hill

Ooooh I like the sound of this one, it's going on my wishlist :smile2: Great review! 

My children are away on holiday at the moment.  I'm really missing them - the house is so quiet!  We don't see so much of Luke these days because he's always out, but Abi spends quite a lot of time with me watching films whilst I iron.  Anyway, to console myself I bought The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons for £1.39 and Pies and Prejudice by Stuart Maconie for £1.99 in two local charity shops.  :D

They only left yesterday morning.  Clearly I shall have to avoid shops until they get back next Tuesday!  :giggle2:

Sorry if I'm prying, but where did they go? You know, I really envy you for having such a great relationship with your own Mom, and I think it's just wonderful (and very telling of your personality and character!) how close you and Abi are. I mean you must be close with Luke, too, but I really love it how you post pics of you and Abi together on FB. You must be a brilliant Mom!! 

Haha! Well I happen to remember how it came about. I don't remember why, but ages and ages ago I told you, Jänet, that if I were to spell your name as we Finns would, according to how your name is pronounced, your 'a' would have umlauts :) The 'J' is more difficult and I won't get into it, but the 'a' would be 'ä' in Finnish. I think it was in context of you mentioning you liking umlauts, and I told you your name would have one... :) Oh dear, I didn't explain that very well at all, did I? :D

That's very interesting, Frankie! I think you explained that just fine :).

I hope you enjoy your new books :), and that you won't be too lonely without your children being in the house.

Thanks, Gaia.  :)    I'm fine.  They're back on Tuesday.  I've only spoken to them once, but that's good because I know they're happy.  They're staying with my best, oldest, friend who is their Godmother.  She and her partner have taken them camping this weekend.

She's the best Godmother ever - she has them for a week every summer and they are spoiled rotten.  Even though Luke is nearly 20 and Abi is 17 they still love going to stay with her.  :)

Sari - I will reply to your posts when I've worked out how to quote them!  :giggle2:

035-2014-July-02-TheOceanattheEndoftheLa

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

The ‘blurb’

This is what he remembers, as he sits by the ocean at the end of the lane:

A dead man on the back seat of the car, and warm milk at the farmhouse; An ancient little girl, and an old woman who saw the moon being made; A beautiful housekeeper with a monstrous smile; And dark forces woken that were best left undisturbed.

They are memories hard to believe, waiting at the edges of things. The recollections of a man who thought he was lost but is now, perhaps, remembering a time when he was saved…

This was our Book Club book for July and I was really looking forward to it as I already had it on my Wish List and loved both The Graveyard Book and Stardust. It didn’t disappoint!

The book opens with the protagonist returning to the place he grew up in to attend a funeral.  Whilst there he reminisces about the people who lived next door, the Hemstock family, and particularly his childhood friend Lettie who often spoke about The Ocean at the End of the Lane.   

He visits the farm and things that had happened in his past, and that he had forgotten, start to come back to him – the book then takes us back to those events.   I won’t go into what the story is about as I don’t want to give too much away, but suffice to say that there is a definite supernatural element to this book. 

The characters are so well-written from the likeable to the scary.  I particularly loved the protagonist (I don’t think he’s named… at least, I don’t remember his name if he was!).   For a start he mentioned one of my favourite songs by Gilbert and Sullivan (a guilty pleasure of mine!) – the Nightmare Song from the wonderful Iolanthe.   And also he had some great dialogue.  This bit amused me:

We picked some pea pods, opened them and ate the peas inside.  Peas baffled me.  I could not understand why grown-ups would take things that tasted so good raw, and put them in tins, and make them revolting. ” 

Lol – I have to agree with him!  :lol:

I really loved this book and it made for a really good Book Club discussion. 

I read somewhere that it is going to be adapted into a film.  I hope that happens, and that the film does the book justice!  :D

The paperback edition is 255 pages long and is published by Headline.  It was first published in 2013.  The ISBN is 9781472200341.   

5/5 (I loved it)

(Finished 2 July 2014)

I had to google Tom Baker because the name doesn't ring any bells...

And the first image I saw was this:

<snip>

And now I have this very disturbing image of him strapped to a bed, with those eyes bulging :lol: :lol: :hide: Poor Jänet, it can't have been a good experience for you!

Ugh! *Shudders* At great personal expense (of my nerves, not financial!) I managed to find the clip I was referring too. I was wrong - he wasn’t actually strapped to the bed, but ugh! I’d blanked out the fact he was playing a priest! :o

Click to enlarge... if you dare!    :hide:

The lives and loves.jpg

Oh I'd love to read about that! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Yes, I do hope so. It would be great, I think.

Well it was mandatory reading. :giggle2: A bit like having to buy a text book for school. And besides, who could resist such a beautiful cover!?

I was attracted to the cover, definitely. It’s just a shame it wasn’t standard size.

I still love it how it's incorporated in your FB profile :D Do you get people asking about it?

I do quite often, actually! :lol: Not always favourably – apparently it makes me impossible to search for…!

036-2014-July-07-TheRadleys_zpsf6b9eaeb.

The Radleys  by Matt Haig

The ‘blurb’ (from Amazon)

Life with the Radleys: Radio 4, dinner parties with the Bishopthorpe neighbours and self-denial. Loads of self-denial. But all hell is about to break loose. When teenage daughter Clara gets attacked on the way home from a party, she and her brother Rowan finally discover why they can't sleep, can't eat a Thai salad without fear of asphyxiation and can't go outside unless they're smothered in Factor 50. With a visit from their lethally louche uncle Will and an increasingly suspicious police force, life in Bishopthorpe is about to change. Drastically.

I picked this up on a whim on audio book from the library.  There wasn’t much ‘blurb’ on the back of the cover so I was really surprised when the story unfolded!

The Radleys live a fairly normal life.   Peter is a GP at the local surgery whilst his wife Helen runs the house and plans dinner parties - and teenagers Rowan and Clara attend the local secondary school.   Rowan feels different and gets teased a lot and has problems with sleeping and dodgy skin but generally the family seem quite ordinary.  The reality, however, is totally different – the Radleys are not your average family at all!  

Their parents had kept a dark secret from Rowan and Clara – that the family are vampires, albeit abstaining ones – a fact which is revealed when Clara is followed home by one of her classmates who tries it on with her, and Clara instinctively  retaliates by fatally biting him!   As the net closes in on the family the mysterious Uncle Will, Peter’s brother, arrives on the scene to try to help sort out the mess and prevent the family’s secret from being uncovered, but as further secrets are revealed their life seems destined to come crashing down around them.

As I said, it wasn't at all what I was expecting, but had I known what the subject-matter was I wouldn't have picked it up, so it's just as well I didn't or I would have missed out on a cracking story!   This is my first book by Matt Haig, but I’m sure it won’t be my last!  :)

The paperback edition is 352 pages long and is published by Canongate .  It was first published in 2011.  The ISBN is 9781847678614.   

4/5 (I really enjoyed it)

(Finished 7 July 2014)

I'm so happy you ended up liking it, and that there was that turning point in the novel to make you like it. This was an RC book maybe back in 2012... Hosted by yours truly! I really enjoyed the book but there were mixed opinions. Some liked the girl in the novel, some liked the woman... Mixed opinions!

Was it the French original movie? I tried watching it but just couldn't get into it at all and I really didn't like the kid with the camera. I don't know why :D And why would they not include that one rather significant thing in the movie?! Mind boggles.

I didn’t realise it had been an RC thread.   I will go and take a look, although I expect the story has faded too much for me to be able to answer any of the questions.

Yes, it was the original French film.   I’m not sure I’d have stuck with the film if I’d been watching it at home (like you, I didn’t really like the girl much to start with… although she did grow on me), but as I was watching with my fellow Book-Clubbers (who are all really good friends too) I didn’t really have much choice but to stick it out.  I’m not sure I’d be able to recommend it to people as a good film to watch, but I’m glad I did watch it, if you see what I mean?!

I had a copy of this [A Very Long Engagement] but tried reading it and couldn't get into it at all. The start was difficult for some reason! So I gave away the copy... But after reading your review I'm adding the title to my wishlist :) Maybe I just tried reading it at a wrong time. That happens a lot!

Yes, sometimes one has to be in the right frame of mind to read a certain book.  I actually enjoyed it from the word go, so that was lucky.  I didn’t really like giving up on Reading Circle books if I could help it, although sadly I had to give up on the Gormanghast book that Kay hosted.  :(

I can't remember if I already added this [buster’s Diaries] to my wishlist after seeing you add it to your GR account and rating it so highly, but I'm adding it now if it's not on my wishlist already! :)

It’s such a sweet book.  Buster is such a cutie!

:lol:  Yes, I did guess and I guessed right :D What a lovely pressie!

Kay is definitely most expert at wrapping.  It puts my efforts to shame!

I think you can no longer say you don't read sci-fi much and don't know your way around it :giggle2: You are becoming a well-read sci-fi enthusiast! :D

Shhhhh!   :P   Vintage sci-fi yes... purple-and-turquoise-spotty-alien sci-fi – probably still no!  :giggle2:

I think this [The Dinner] is definitely a Marmite book. I know I've read someone's favorable review of it on here but I can't remember whose it was. I put it on my wishlist at some point, then borrowed the book, started it and couldn't get into it at all. But then read the favorable review and added the book back on my wishlist. I still intend to try and read it at some point. I guess it's easier for the reader if they already know how little actually happens in the 'present' and how it takes sometime for the book to get going. I'm sorry you didn't like it :(

It did make for an excellent Book Club evening though, as opinions were divided. Our best discussions seem to come from books like that. If we’ve all really loved – or disliked – the book then we tend to run out of things to talk about much quicker.

Did you ever finish this one? [The Radleys] I went to see your Read Books post on the first page but didn't find anything.

I did – and my review is above. I’m so behind on my reviews though. :(

Ouch!! :empathy: Have you recovered by now? I'm thinking you have because I've seen on FB how you're always and forever walking great stretches of the UK :D I'm so inspired by you!!

Even after all this time my toe still isn’t 100% better. It’s still swollen and at times it’s a bit uncomfortable. I really think I probably broke it. I did an 8 mile walk today as I hadn’t walked properly since last Wednesday. Peter and I did a short walk on Sunday which was lovely, but it wasn’t really long enough to count as exercise. It’s got to the stage when I miss walking when I don’t do one for a few days, although I think that might change as winter approaches! We have seen some gorgeous scenery on our walks. :)

Ooooh I like the sound of this one, [A Kind Man] it's going on my wishlist :smile2: Great review!

I hope you enjoy it when you get round to it. As I said, it’s a gentle story but the characters and writing are lovely.

Sorry if I'm prying, but where did they go? You know, I really envy you for having such a great relationship with your own Mom, and I think it's just wonderful (and very telling of your personality and character!) how close you and Abi are. I mean you must be close with Luke, too, but I really love it how you post pics of you and Abi together on FB. You must be a brilliant Mom!!

They went up to Kent to stay with their Godmother. They’ve been going up for a week in the summer for the last five years – the first four years by train and this year with Luke driving. It was a bit scary for me as he’d only passed his test 9 days earlier! They came back today and I’m pleased to report that both journeys, plus all the driving Luke did up there, were done safely. I wasn’t so much worried about him (he’s a good driver – his instructor was very complimentary), but rather about him not anticipating what other drivers might do on the motorways, as you have more than one other lane to contend with.

Thanks for the compliment. :blush: We are great friends. They’re both lovely company. We were lucky that we didn’t have any trouble with them as teenagers (or before, actually) – they are such nice kids, if I say so myself! :)