pontalba's 2014 Reading List

pontalba

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a daunting-ish list there! Plato's Symposium (basically Socrates via Plato) was a good read for me, and I have Aeschylus - Oresteia,Sophocles - Oedipus the King and Euripides - Medea in my TBR list. They could be there for quite some time too  :blush2: .

Happy Reading! :smile:  

Thanks, Marie. :)

It may take me all year, hopefully that's all.

Happy Reading this year. :smile:

Thanks, Chrissy.  I hope you will too! :)

The Accounting by William Lashner

This is the first book by William Lashner that I've read, and I can tell you, I'll be reading many more of this prolific author. Lashner's quick witted and fast paced style coupled with his mordant sense of humor kept me reading, at the last, till 3 in the morning.

Halfway through the book, I thought.....well...this is it. Where can it go from here? Hah, it went, and proceeded with some interesting twists along the way.

Three teenagers steal approximately One Million Dollars, drug money, and ostensibly get away with it. Well, sorta, kinda. The name of the book, after all, is The Accounting. But more interesting is the account of what a secret like that does to one's friendships, and ultimately one's life. Can a person live a normal life with such a terrifying secret? What will he sacrifice for that secret?

Recommended. 4/5

Thanks muggle. :)

Sounds interesting. I have added it to my wishlist. :smile:

He is an interesting author.  I've also started his book called, Veritas.

In addition to The Secret History. :)

Happy Reading in 2014 Pontalba  :doowapstart:

I look forward to following your progress with your reading challenge... although my mojo trembled in it's boots at such a daunting list  :hide:

Yours, and mine, both! :giggle2:

And, thanks, hope yours is great too, KM. :readingtwo:

Wayward Pines: Before the Fall by Stephen Romano 3/5 (Kindle Words)

This novel is back story to the Wayward Pines series I've read two of, and the third is due out in July.  Apparently there is a lot of "fan-fiction" out there, and this is part of it. 

The writing is a little forced, and repetitive, but the idea, and the fill-in back story of the what and why of the main series was very interesting, and explained a lot of the unknowables from the series. 

I would only seriously recommend this if the reader is following the Wayward Pines series.  Although it is ok as a stand alone, much is lost without the rest. IMO.

Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner 5/5

The wonderful, evocative prose tells the story of two couples, beginning around 1933, through their long, married lives. It's about Life, Death, Love, and Loss.......but most of all it is about the give and take in their Friendship that sees them through the highs and very low, lows.

The unfolding of their stories, told partially through vividly orchestrated flashbacks, is artful, but never contrived.

Highly recommended.

Kate

Stegner is a great writer, isn't he ? I have yet to finish a book by him. Not sure why. No good excuse. I've started Angle of Repose numerous times and love the writing. I guess it's just bad timing and wasn't in the mood to stick with it . Will definitely try it again soon. Thanks for the reminder !

Wayward Pines: Before the Fall by Stephen Romano 3/5 (Kindle Words)

This novel is back story to the Wayward Pines series I've read two of, and the third is due out in July.  Apparently there is a lot of "fan-fiction" out there, and this is part of it. 

The writing is a little forced, and repetitive, but the idea, and the fill-in back story of the what and why of the main series was very interesting, and explained a lot of the unknowables from the series. 

I would only seriously recommend this if the reader is following the Wayward Pines series.  Although it is ok as a stand alone, much is lost without the rest. IMO.

I just read the first one a few weeks ago...I had no idea it was so popular...there's a tv series too?  Has it started yet..? 

Kate

Stegner is a great writer, isn't he ? I have yet to finish a book by him. Not sure why. No good excuse. I've started Angle of Repose numerous times and love the writing. I guess it's just bad timing and wasn't in the mood to stick with it . Will definitely try it again soon. Thanks for the reminder !

I`ve not heard of him before, but that sounds excellent. I`ve sampled it to Kindle*. :D

* Which is very easy to do, but now I`m wondering if it`s the equivalent of tearing pages out of magazines and not getting to them for ages. :blush2:

The Accounting by William Lashner

This is the first book by William Lashner that I've read, and I can tell you, I'll be reading many more of this prolific author. Lashner's quick witted and fast paced style coupled with his mordant sense of humor kept me reading, at the last, till 3 in the morning.

Halfway through the book, I thought.....well...this is it. Where can it go from here? Hah, it went, and proceeded with some interesting twists along the way.

Three teenagers steal approximately One Million Dollars, drug money, and ostensibly get away with it. Well, sorta, kinda. The name of the book, after all, is The Accounting. But more interesting is the account of what a secret like that does to one's friendships, and ultimately one's life. Can a person live a normal life with such a terrifying secret? What will he sacrifice for that secret?

Recommended. 4/5

Thanks muggle. :)

There really were quite a few surprises towards the ending. It was a pretty good book.

Now, when are you going to read another James Lee Burke. And, when is the other half going to read Lonesome Dove. :)

Edited by muggle not

I have added Crossing To Safety on my wish list. How could I not with a 5/5 rating? :smile:

Ahh, you won't be sorry!   :)

Yup, it's on my library wishlist too now.  :smile:

Now, that's the way to do it, with a good library.  I'd lay odds that ours doesn't even have it.  :roll:

Kate

I have Angle of Repose on the shelf, but this one was highly recommended to me over on Constant Reader, so I bumped it up.  I've only had it 6 months!  A baby among teenagers! hee hee

I just read the first one a few weeks ago...I had no idea it was so popular...there's a tv series too?  Has it started yet..? 

Neither of these links have a start date, so I guess they don't have it yet, or just aren't publishing it, yet. 

http://www.fox.com/programming/shows/?sh=event-series---wayward-pines and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/

Almost makes me wish we had television in the house.  Well, we do have a television, but only stream or play DVDs.  I suppose we'll stream it when the time comes. 

Right now I'm reading another book by Blake Crouch, Run.  It's not from the Wayward Pines series, but I'm 16% in on Kindle, and really liking it. 

I`ve not heard of him before, but that sounds excellent. I`ve sampled it to Kindle*. :D

* Which is very easy to do, but now I`m wondering if it`s the equivalent of tearing pages out of magazines and not getting to them for ages. :blush2:

Hah, know the feeling.  But Stegner's prose is just gorgeous. 

There really were quite a few surprises towards the ending. It was a pretty good book.

Now, when are you going to read another James Lee Burke. And, when is the other half going to read Lonesome Dove. :)

I liked Lashner's style enough to immediately download (this was last year!) another of his, Veritas.  I've read the first 7% and had a hard time stopping.

And, yes!, Burke is definitely on my radar for this year. :D

Ah, muggle.  Meant to add that I think Charles might get to Lonesome Dove after he does his Decades Challenge, and his reading of Spy novels, and......well, you know. :)  It's definitely on his list though. :)  But he makes his own lists, so your guess is as good as mine.

Ah, muggle.  Meant to add that I think Charles might get to Lonesome Dove after he does his Decades Challenge, and his reading of Spy novels, and......well, you know. :)  It's definitely on his list though. :)  But he makes his own lists, so your guess is as good as mine.

To Muggle, through Kate:  Heh heh.  I have a new theory that applies to me -- lists are useless.  They only define where I will never get.  the way for me to get to a book is "just do it." Hah!  But I am making progress in Madame Bovary and I think I have the stamina to finish it.  Then, Lonesome Dove.  Howzzzat?

Or maybe even sooner, if Victorian really gets to me.

Stoner by John Williams  5/5

How rare is an honorable man? A man that does not follow the crowd, that is honest in his dealings with others, even to his own detriment. I found William Stoner to be such a man. Ordinary in origins, perhaps, but extraordinary in what counted. A man that put one foot in front of the other, throughout his life, doing what his conscience dictated.

Inarticulate until he found his footing in teaching what he loved, he came from the unlikeliest of backgrounds to University. Arriving for the first time, he knew he was Home.

An interesting man, a capable man. A man that dealt with the hard blows and unfairness that Life handed him with grace and dignity. A true man.

Recommended

Pontalba, I hope you have a marvellous reading year 2014! :)

I don't know why it's taken me so long to realize you've been on the forum since 2006! You are one of the early birds :cool: How do you think the forum's changed throughout the years, from your own perspective? And has your taste for books changed at all? Or reading habits?

The Columbia University book list looks really intimidating :D I hope you enjoy the books and have fun with the challenge. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the books. I'm sure you will encourage a few others to try them after you... :)

Edited by frankie

Now, that's the way to do it, with a good library.  I'd lay odds that ours doesn't even have it.  

I was quite surprised when the book was in the library catalogue! :smile:

Stoner by John Williams  5/5

Recommended

That's good  :smile: . One of my 'imaginary' ebook list :blush2:  . 

Pontalba, I hope you have a marvellous reading year 2014! :)

I don't know why it's taken me so long to realize you've been on the forum since 2006! You are one of the early birds :cool: How do you think the forum's changed throughout the years, from your own perspective? And has your taste for books changed at all? Or reading habits?

The Columbia University book list looks really intimidating :D I hope you enjoy the books and have fun with the challenge. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the books. I'm sure you will encourage a few others to try them after you... :)

Thanks, Sari! :)  I hope, but can see, yours is wonderful too. :)

:D   I was fairly sporadic in posting for many of those years.  And the story of how I came to the forum is funny.  Husband and I used to post on another forum fairly consistently and had many great discussions there.  This was before we were married.  We had quite a few Nabokov threads. 

Anyhow.  One of the moderators over there, a male that was.....lets just say that was very....acerbic.  :)  He found this forum and joined, and was, as I recall, rather critical of someone here.  I don't remember all the details, such as names. Best not to in any case.  Michelle banned him, and he deserved it, as his attitude was not consistent with the vibe Michelle was engendering here.  Anyhow, I was curious about this place and joined.  Posted on and off for several years, then didn't for a while, then came back and found more that I felt compatible with, so stayed. And I'm glad I did!  :yes:

There were only a few hundred members, I believe at my joining.  But I'm not sure when Michelle started the forum.

My reading habits have been pretty consistent for the last 10 years or so, so no big change there. But I've always been a reader.   I am able to read more now that I don't have the responsibility of caring for my Aunt,  that I had for many years.  My time is pretty much my own (ours) :).

Edited by pontalba

Well, here is the list of additions to the TBR stack(s):

Dead Man's Walk by Larry McMurtry  }

Comanche Moon  by Larry McMurtry  }  already had a copy of LD, but decided it was best to have matching covers. :angel_not:

Lonesome Dove  by Larry McMurtry   }  (of course, I blame muggle) :angel_not:  :P  :giggle2:

The Poems of Catullus, a new translation by a New Orleans poet, Joseph Bienvenu

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches by Alan Bradley (pre-order from last year!)

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs (pre-order from last year!)

But you should see my Wish List!  :angel_not:  :angel_not: