Your Book Activity - December 2013

Kylie

I adored The Kite Runner when I read it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I've not seen the movie either. After reading the book I just don't feel that the movie could come close to doing it justice.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you mean "All The Pretty Horses". I have read it plus the other two in the Trilogy and thought they were excellent. Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite writers along with John Steinbeck. See the following:

In 1992, McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses was published. This book would be his first real breakthrough to a wide readership, selling nearly 200,000 copies in the first hardcover printing. It also won the National Book Award and paved the way for two more novels in the "Border Trilogy": The Crossing (1994) and Cities of the Plain (1998).

Did you enjoy Cannery Row. Also, did you first read Tortilla Flats. Sweet Thursday is the third book of what I call the Trilogy. I enjoyed all three. Another of Steinbeck's that I recommend is "Of Mice and Men".

In 1992, McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses was published. This book would be his first real breakthrough to a wide readership, selling nearly 200,000 copies in the first hardcover printing. It also won the National Book Award and paved the way for two more novels in the "Border Trilogy": The Crossing (1994) and Cities of the Plain (1998).

muggle, what about Blood Meridian?  I've started it twice and couldn't go any farther....just too....too much.  I'm wondering how the Border Trilogy compares to it. 

I have read and enjoyed The Road, very much.

muggle, what about Blood Meridian?  I've started it twice and couldn't go any farther....just too....too much.  I'm wondering how the Border Trilogy compares to it. 

I have read and enjoyed The Road, very much.

I enjoyed the Border Trilogy more so than Blood Meridian. In fact I may go back and re-read the Border Trilogy. Have you tried No Country For Old Men, it was very good.

So sluggish with my reading .. have stared at the same pages for days now :blush2: It's not a mojo problem .. it's a time and attention problem. Too many distractions and things on my mind plus .. I'm sure all this stuffing with mince pies is bad for the brain .. my head is full of cotton wool (but I feel like I've got a bug too .. as in flu bug .. not as in flea bug :D .. so that might be making me feel more stupid than usual.)

I have an audible credit but I don't want to spend it before Christmas as might get a book someone has got for me etc etc .. I want to wait and see (but .. how many sleeps are there again!? :giggle:)

Thinking of picking up an Agatha Christie .. has anyone read Peril at End House?

I've spent the last few hours reading The Secret History. I'd forgotten how good it is. :smile:  In fact, I'd stay up and read more of it tonight, if only I didn't have to get up early for work tomorrow. :sleeping-smiley-009

That's my next one...as soon as I find it.  I have hopes it won't take too long.  :blush2:

Right now I'm 43% into Lucky 'person of dubious parentage' by Charles McCarry.  Cynical humor, political hijinks, and so forth. Who owns the politicos? 

Added in Edit:  rotfalol, the filter changed the second word of my book title.  I suppose you can guess what it is. :flowers2:

Edited by pontalba

I enjoyed the Border Trilogy more so than Blood Meridian. In fact I may go back and re-read the Border Trilogy. Have you tried No Country For Old Men, it was very good.

No, the only one I've read is The Road, but I have the Border Trilogy on the shelf tbr.  I hope to get to it soon(ish). lol

Heck, I'm still on The Confederate Dead in the Electric Mist!  Well, I have finished that one, but haven't progressed further, I'm sorry to say.  I do love Burke though. :)

I believe you mean "All The Pretty Horses". I have read it plus the other two in the Trilogy and thought they were excellent. Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite writers along with John Steinbeck. See the following:

Did you enjoy Cannery Row. Also, did you first read Tortilla Flats. Sweet Thursday is the third book of what I call the Trilogy. I enjoyed all three. Another of Steinbeck's that I recommend is "Of Mice and Men".

I'll have to look for Tortilla Flats at my library.  I read 'Of Mice and Men' a few months ago, and thought it was great, so had to find more Steinbeck.  I now the library had a few by him, so hopefully they have Tortilla Flats and Sweet Thursday.

I have to say I am on a go slow with my book reading...not enjoying what I am reading at the moment sigh....wished I was reading a good Christmas one...have a Debbie Macomber on the go Christmas in Seattle, but not very good.

Finally managed to finish Death Comes To Pemberley!  I started it over a year ago, but after the first 60 pages, I put it down as it was a hardback and too difficult to take with me for reading, and hadn't picked it up again.  Decided I'd better finish it before the television adaptation over Christmas, but have to admit, it's been a bit of a slog, although I have actually managed to finish it this evening. :smile2:

Also bought All Creatures Great and Small in the 12 Days of Kindle sale, as it's one of the English Counties Challenge books, and I mean to start on this challenge in earnest in the New Year.

I'll have to look for Tortilla Flats at my library.  I read 'Of Mice and Men' a few months ago, and thought it was great, so had to find more Steinbeck.  I now the library had a few by him, so hopefully they have Tortilla Flats and Sweet Thursday.

Eventually you may want to tackle The Grapes of Wrath., generally considered Steinbeck's greatest works. However, it isn't for the faint hearted as it, IMHO is very sad and infuriates me as to how people were treated in that time period and place in U.S. history.

Chesilbeach wrote: Also bought All Creatures Great and Small in the 12 Days of Kindle sale, as it's one of the English Counties Challenge books, and I mean to start on this challenge in earnest in the New Year.

I have most of that series, and simply love it.  I can't, for the most part, read books about animals as they're either too mushy or cruel.  I loved these! :)

Read a bit more of The Secret History. Even though it's a re-read, my memory of it is so rubbish it is like reading it for the first time. :smile:

I hope this will be the case for me too, it's been a long time since I read the book! :giggle2:

Homeland: Carrie's Run - Andrew Kaplan

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Inferno - Dan Brown

Dark Eden - Chris Beckett

Stuffed and Starved: From Farm to Fork - Raj Patel

Obviously my TBR list is completely under control. :giggle2:

Great haul! I wonder if you'll have to add a few more books to your TBR after Xmas... I think a lot of people on here will find their TBRs out of control soon :D

I didn't know there was a sequel.  I'll have to see if my library has it.

Have you checked already? I hope you find a copy :)

So sluggish with my reading .. have stared at the same pages for days now :blush2: It's not a mojo problem .. it's a time and attention problem. Too many distractions and things on my mind plus .. I'm sure all this stuffing with mince pies is bad for the brain .. my head is full of cotton wool (but I feel like I've got a bug too .. as in flu bug .. not as in flea bug :D .. so that might be making me feel more stupid than usual.)

'Tis the season! Don't worry, Xmas will be over at some point, and you'll get back on track.. And don't worry, it won't be over til it's over and it's just started for you UK people and the rest, so you've still got loads to go :D

I've received a few more books but my reading log is so out of sync that I'll just wait til I'm back in Joensuu to arrange it and record everything. I did, however, manage to start and finish a book!!! :) It was Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren and it was much better than I'd thought :smile2:

Also bought All Creatures Great and Small in the 12 Days of Kindle sale, as it's one of the English Counties Challenge books, and I mean to start on this challenge in earnest in the New Year.

Thanks for the heads-up.   :)   I really like the cover of the paperback, but for 99p I can't justify buying it when this is so cheap!

That's great to hear, Frankie :)!

I've been preparing and celebrating Christmas and my boyfriends' birthday so I haven't done any more reading. I did read a bit in a magazine. I've been busy compiling my reading statistics of 2013 and list of favourite reads of 2013, which was all very fun to do :smile2: (I'll post them in a bit).

I didn't think I would be able to finish it this quickly but I have just read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman in a day and a half. Wonderful book.

I found it to be a quick read too, Brian.  Read it a few years ago, and it simply flew.  Great story. :)

Well, I've ordered The Secret History from the library.  Hah, they have one hardback, and one trade paperback.  (Gee, think they could spare it? :roll: ).

Anyhow, I've put in an order for both, should have at least one of them on or just after the 7th of January.  Of course I also might be able to find it here, in the house.  I know that we have it..........somewhere.  Already had to look rounds, unsuccessful.  Will try again. /sigh/ :)

Read the second of the Bookman series.  Have started Wayward Pines.  Looks to be the Lost of the piney woods.  heh

I'm currently reading Small Gods by Terry Pratchett, but I keep jumping between books. So I'm also reading The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine by James Le Fanu and On Writing by Stephen King depending on my mood. :P