Ann Cleeves mysteries set in the Shetland Islands UK

Bebecat

I am reading "Raven Black" the first of four books in this series and enjoying it, which kind of surprised me as I am very picky about series, generally liking only older ones like those with Inspectors Wexford or Morse. This is a more current setting but caught my interest right away. Anyone else read this series? The setting is also unusual and interesting.

I have heard of it, and it interests me a lot as I used to live in Shetland, but I haven't read them at all.  It's good to hear you are enjoying the first book - I will need to get round to ordering it, or see if the library can get hold of it for me.  There was a BBC detective series in the last year or so set in Shetland, was it based on the books do you know?  I didn't like the series much, but wouldn't let it put me off the books! :)

there were four books, all which are to be recommended. Then came the tv series based upon the third novel, RED BONES.

This year saw the release of a fifth novel and the rest of the three books from the first Quartet will be shown on the BBC soonish.

This series is well worth your while.