Hello

nicola8989

Hi, I'm Nicola, I live in the North East of England and I'm a librarian - so erm, yes I like books!  

I did my degree in English Literature so I've read a lot of classics but I will read most genres including YA, dystopian fiction, fantasy, contemporary, chick lit, historical, thriller.... the list goes on!

I've joined this site to speak to some other "bookish" people and get some good reading recommendations.

I'm also an amateur writer and have had a few poems, articles and short stories published.

Hello Nicola, and  :welcome2: to the Forums. I think that you have come to the right place, as there are lots of people here who love books too  :D . I hope that you enjoy the forums.

Welcome here :)!

What are some of your favourite books?

You name some great genres. I like some classics but others I find more difficult to get through. At the moment I'm reading Charles Dickens - Christmas Books, which contains five Christmas-themed stories. So far I've read three of them (though I have to say, the third one wasn't that Christmassy). I enjoy the plot lines and characters but I find some of the prose a bit difficult. English isn't my first language so that doesn't help perhaps (I'm reading the book in English). There are quite a few words in the book of which I don't know the meaning. Other sentences I know the meaning of most of the words but their combination doesn't make sense to me (I think it has to do with how my brain works). I enjoy the stories though, what happens in them. Fantasy, contemporary fiction and chick-lit are some of my favourite genres. I also really science-fiction but I prefer further in the future science-fiction books over dystopians (though I like dystopian stories too). I read some YA but mainly adult books.

I hope you enjoy it here :).

I am lucky I never had to read Ulysses! James Joyce was on one module but I just skipped him and wrote about other books instead, I'm not a fan of his writing style at all! 

What other books did you read? I was quite lucky and had some pretty cool lecturers, in my third year there was a vampires module and one on dystopias and utopias :D

I'm pretty jealous too, Frankie, I always wanted to be a librarian. :D

Nicola, I also aim to one day have a novel published. That would be amazing. :)

Your modules sound pretty interesting. I also had a Utopias/Dystopias one in my second year, where we read 1984, Swastika Night, Brave New World and others, which was really interesting. I also did 18th century Satire, Holocaust literature, Chaucer, '30s Lit, Victorian Lit, Modernism/Postmodernism (hated both of these), Female Gothic and Green Writing. A good mix, really! I always liked Romanticism - I did my MA dissertation on Byron, poetry and satire. :D

What did you read for your vampire module? It sounds great!

Hi Nicola! I love your avatar! I love to write and read poetry as well! I actually prefer writing in prose because I find ideas can flow more freely however I prefer to read structured poetry. Who are your favorite poets? Mine are Christina Rosetti and William Blake.

Hello :) yes I am so lucky to be a librarian, it really is a dream job! Unfortunately no he isn't my dog :( I do have a labrador though.

I love Christina Rosetti and William Blake - my favourites are Pablo Neruda, Carol Ann Duffy, Sara Teasdale and Edgar Allan Poe.