Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence

To tell you the truth, at times while reading this book, I felt as if it was jointly written with a female. It is really strange IMO, to find something written during that period, by a male, but which is as sensitive to a woman's point of view, needs and thoughts.

"Crisis" bewildered me at first - I had to read the sentence 2ce to understand what he was saying! :hyper:

If you follow Uncle Wrath's postings, you'd know I jump on tangents quite a bit -- I'd prefer to think it's the product of a keen mind rather than distracted by "ohhhh, bright, shiny!"

It's funny that Lawrence seems to think that women are more able to focus on things for longer periods of ti... oh, look at the butterfly!

Ahem! Yes, about the ability to focus - I must have a particularly male mind in that respect! Also, although I'm only up to chapter 10 (so not too much of Mellors as yet - we're still just beginning to get to know him), Mellors seems to have that ability to focus in the same way, and on the same level as, Constance, whereas her husband seems more flighty and prone to mentally wander off onto another subject at the drop of a hat.

To tell you the truth, at times while reading this book, I felt as if it was jointly written with a female.

I think you're right - Lawrence's style seems peculiarly feminine - if this were a newly published book by an author whose name I'd never heard, I would assume that D. H. stood for something like Diane Helen, or Doreen Heather - I definitely would have attributed it to a female writer.

I was wondering, whether British people would perhaps get more out of this book - especially people who are a bit older. (The era and descriptions.) I enjoyed reading the historical bits, but they did not come alive for me. (Don't know if I explained that ok)

Maureen,

I think I know what you mean. But remember, there are common histories around the world. When I read the descriptions of the Midlands, I think of the industrial east coast of America and the coal mines out there. I also think of the many thousands of American WWI veterans...I can tie my own history to the history presented in the book.

After just finishing The Kite Runner and now about half-way through LCL; it strikes me how authors who've main characters who are writers, really paint these characters in an unflattering light.

I wonder what is going on in their heads because I might think that a writer character would be a projection, of sorts, of the author.

Look at Mr. DH, belittling poor Clifford for writing and detailing about characters and their relationships ~ which really is exactly what Mr. DH is doing even as I read the book.

(pardon the spoiler, its just ramblings)

Even though I am only half-way through ~ what I find brilliant is the emphasis on "nothing", beginning with Clifford's writing and then extending it to how Connie is feeling and really, everyone is feeling. Because one might hope for depth in a human being but really once you get past the superficial activities on the ... uh... surface, underneath is a nothing. Then extending that "nothing" even more by the numb, passionless sex between the two; she is completely inactive and just lays there and he doesn't even connect with her beyond the physical.

This, I think, is brilliant.

Over and over again, Mr. DH writes of situations where people are inter-acting but each come away with their own, very different, versions of what just happened and mostly a self-centered reaction. I'm not sure, but it seems that he is making the point with everyone of all levels in their society.

That last thing which I'll point out as bizarre is that Connie instantly seems to know when she's pregnant and it's as if she can will it to live or not. That very day she seems to have "passion in her veins." Yeah, that struck me as either naive or simply odd.

So far I'm only up to ch7 in this one, it's taking me ages to read and at times is feeling a bit of a chore. This doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it though, because I am, it's just some paragraphs I feel are a bit lengthy for the poing he's trying to get across.

However, I do agree with the point about it feeling very feminine. If I had ne previous author knowledge I would assume it was a woman. I get a feeling that although Constance does all the things women were supposed to do (such as sitting in the room but not talking) there is an underlying mockery of the whole setup, as if DHL thought such practices funny.

I've finished the book. These are some of my thoughts.

I was rather surprised by Michaelis view to sex for women. After they had had sex, he asked Connie "I suppose you'll hate me now" - because that is what women are supposed to feel. I was further surprised later on when he admitted that he did not much care whether she was sexually satisified or not.

At the time, i can understand that sex was a taboo subject, and most people had a very unhealthy view about it, so that is certainly why this book caused such a stir. Had it been written today, no one would have commented twice about it.

At times it was too flowery and descriptive for me - that's not saying i did not enjoy the book, although I am not looking forwards to reading more of the same type.

At first I thought it strange for Clifford to propose to his wife that she should have a child with someone else. However he must have seen that as a way to save his marriage - he was feeling that Connie is not living in a bed of roses.

I just finished the book with a mad 75 page dash to the end, simply could not / would not put it down. I had to know how it'd turn out.

What a splendid read! To the very end I could not be sure how it would end or what shape the end of the story might take.

Some of the predictions in my beginning posts came true, some did not - it was a very good reading experience.

I'm sure many of us will have critiques and comments on the story and I'll be ready to chime in as people finish up their own journey.

Well, I thought I'd have a bash at answering those questions:

1- Who was your favourite character and why?

I think Mellors was my favourite character - I loved his quiet self-assuredness, and the fact that he could be tender and yet still not feel he was dismissing his own masculinity. He wasn't in the least pretentious, although he was good at fitting himself to the situation as he saw it (shown by his changing accent) and would stand up for what he believed in.

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

I loved the scenes between Mellors and Constance - I especially liked how the "love-talk" was handled - Mellors even managed to make the unmentionable "c-word" sound gentle and not at all derogatory. I also enjoyed the lightness of tone throughout the novel.

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/ by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

It's the first I've read by D H Lawrence, and I will certainly read more of his work. I've read other books set during a similar period, but in different areas and slightly different social sets (for example, The Great Gatsby focuses more on the American party set; A Taste of Blood Wine is 99% set in England and, again, features more of a social scene; P G Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster stories are also very social, with lots of visiting other people and places). This felt more stationary and confined, which, I think, added to the feeling that Constance was trapped in a place and marriage that did not make her happy.

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

No - it all flowed very smoothly for me and I had no trouble at all. The language was gorgeous, the descriptive passages were delightful and the characters were well-drawn - what's not to like?!

5- Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

I expected it to be a lot more steamy than it actually was - it turned out to be quite demure by comparison to some other "erotic" novels (such as Fanny Hill by John Cleland). Overall, I enjoyed every moment. I spent a lot longer reading this book than I usually do (mostly because I was so exhausted from jury duty all last week), but I savoured every last second of it. It was rather a refreshing read!

I'll try to answer the questions too:

I think I liked Cliffords nurse best. She was a very strong person, had a tough life, yet knew how to make the best out of things, and although she could have potentially harmed Connie, she helped both Chatterlys a lot instead.

I hated the part when Connie was almost giving up on life and youth, and got ready to wither away. i also hated the part when she let Michaelis use her, and she did not do the same.

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/ by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

It's the first I've read by D H Lawrence yes. I also steer clear of these type of books usually - the language and style used in this era is not my style at all.

No , not particulary.

I expected it to be a loads more steamy and more erotic - perhaps because it had such an impact when it was published. I also realised how, in a relatively short span of time, a lot of sexual taboos have been abolished, to the extent that we have now become almost unshockable.

I'll try to answer the questions too:

I liked Clifford's nurse, Mrs. Bolton the best. She was very wise and saw beyond her own selfish nose - can't say the same for any of the other characters. I also liked the shift later in the book when she became sort of the Mother Of Us All, a nice little literary step into an archetype; representing something greater than just herself.

I liked the trip to Venice. It allowed us to see Connie outside of her situation so we could look at her in a new light. Sadly, she didn't really re-new herself - nonetheless the opportunity was there.

It's my first by this author.

I think he had one more book that was more popular (Son's and Lovers?) that I might try. I always thought he was cool in that he had a ranch (really a retreat) in New Mexico that was visited by Gertrude Stein and some of the other writers of that time.

Not really, I was very interested in the impact of Industry and Technology in that time and how obsessed not just Clifford but Mr. DH was with just that.

It sure was enjoyable.

There were times when I grew impatient with the characters or impatient with the pace/descriptions. I believe that it is an "important" piece of work so I am also proud to have read it and can say that I have.

Others have said they were not shocked - I was shocked to the core to read the C-word! I had to stop and pick my teeth up off the ground and re-check exactly when this book was first published!

6 - What this a good Reading Circle choice?

I think that it was - the shared experience of reading this novel made it all the more fun.

I felt that there has been and continues to be an interesting conversation about the book and the reading experience of a classic.

It was not a light-weight read like a children's book - it took some time and effort, it has a context of history yet still proves as sound bit of writing in today's standard. In my opinion, very successful.

Others have said they were not shocked - I was shocked to the core to read the C-word! I had to stop and pick my teeth up off the ground and re-check exactly when this book was first published!

I was sort of shocked a little, but the context was an odd one - Mellors seemed to use it in such an endearing way, rather than as a derogatory term, that it almost seemed sweet. (I'm not sure I've explained that quite as well as I wanted to, but you might get the general idea.) I've never before seen or heard that word used affectionately like that, and it sort of took the edge off the harshness of the word, and the shock out of the connotations, for me.

I finally managed to finish this book and I'm still a bit lost as to what I think of it. The most part was a very enjoyable read, but I was quite bored during some of the lesser active chapters and I didn't feel it moved fast enough for my liking. I did feel for the characters though, each in their own individual circumstances.

I did like Mellors, even though some of the time I didn't quite understand where he was coming from. He was a loveable rogue and he made me laugh quite a bit.

I found the mens discussions in the early part of the book very boring and I was sorely tempted just to bypass them but on the other hand I enjoyed Connie's personal thoughts whilst out a wandering on her own.

This was my first DH Lawrence book but not my first classic. I may look for further reading along the same lines in the future.

My only real problem was Connie and Mellor's first 'encounter' with each other, it just came out of the blue and there seemed to be no real reason behind it. There was no tension between them or any build up that I noticed.

Overall, I did enjoy this book, even though I wouldn't say it was a fantastic read.

I was sort of shocked a little, .

Wrath - I was shocked to the core to read the C-word! I had to stop and pick my teeth up off the ground and re-check exactly when this book was first published!

to tell you the truth, it felt a bit "on purpose" to me - as if the author wanted to see how far he could go....No one uses that word the way it was used in the book (as far as i know!). To me it felt a bit contrived.

• 5 weeks later...
However, I've also found that he repeats himself quite a bit, especially in a descriptive paragraph. Has anyone else noticed this?

I started reading this book recently and have had a bit of trouble getting into it (may be due in part to tiredness so I've been reading only a little at a time before I get sleepy).

I've also found it repetitive in parts and some of the lengthy dialogue and rambling thoughts have bored me a little, but I'm persevering and starting to enjoy it more (Connie has started wandering in the woods and has found the hut).

I noticed that - it seems to be most often when someone's having a bit of an inner dialogue - almost like the character is talking to themselves. It feels like they're reassuring themselves that something is so. Surprisingly, I quite like this tactic on this occasion - usually it would drive me round the twist!

I didn't mind the repetitiveness on these occasions for the exact reason that you mention, Kell.

I didn't particularly enjoy this book overall. I've put a more lengthy review on my reading blog, but my points there are mostly summarised in the questions below.

1. Who was your favourite character and why?

Mellors. He was the only one I could begin to comprehend. He was basically a decent, simple guy (and too good for the likes of Connie!).

2. Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

I disliked all the rambling dialogue and thoughts of the pompous 'intellectuals'. The scenes with Connie and Mellors were OK (that would be all their scenes, not just the raunchy ones!) :eek2:

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

First book by DH Lawrence. I have Sons and Lovers on my TBR pile and I'm hoping I enjoy it more than Lady Chatterley's Lover!

4. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

See the first sentence of Q2 :lol: It wasn't the ideas I struggled with, just the long-winded way in which they were written.

5. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Not particularly! But I'm glad I read it anyway because it's an important book in the history of literature, and now I understand why a bit better.

6. Was this a good Reading Circle choice?

Yes, I think so. It's interesting to see how almost everyone else loved this book and I didn't :D

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention when I posted my review that a new French adaptation of this movie has recently been released (or maybe it's been out for a long time in the UK), which is timely considering it was our reading circle choice. A trailer can be seen here. I don't know that the characters look much like I imagined, especially Mellors.

Forgot to mention when I posted my review that a new French adaptation of this movie has recently been released (or maybe it's been out for a long time in the UK), which is timely considering it was our reading circle choice.

I'm going to be getting hold of a copy of this as soon as possible (I actually saw the trailer a while ago and completely forgot about it!). I did watch the British mini-series immediately after reading the book for Reading Circle and although I enjoyed it and thought the performances very good, I couldn't help thinking the leading lady had been miscast on looks alone - she was blond and skinny for a start, whereas in the book, if I remember correctly, she is described as having brown hair and a very feminine figure... Let's see what this French film version brings...