Hello Everyone

FelisT2

Just joined. I picked this site off Google when I was searching under the term: Asset Jonathan Orvin. Page 7: 'Peahen's 2013 shelf-Reading Lists/Blogs-Book Club Forum.' This is my first venture into a book club/forum, but this book is now under my skin. I'm a great fan of fact-based fiction and this book and the author came to my attention from both an article in a local paper and an interview of the author on the radio. I bought the book that day and being half way through my second reading of, Hole. Kidnapped in Georgia by Peter Shaw, (a true first person account of his kidnap whilst in Georgia) it took me a while to get to it.

Without confusing this gabfest too much, Peter Shaw lives just down the road from me (50 miles or so). Jonathan Orvin, it would seem, lives closer.

Pontalba says on Peahen's blog, 'Another novel I've just come across is Asset by Jonathan Orvin.  Set in Russia, I've only read the prologue so far, but man, this author can make the reader sweat!  Very suspenseful so far.'

Pontalba, I've read it and would love to talk to you about it once you've finished it. I don't know how this site works as yet, but I'll get it figured out and find Peahen's blog. I see you live north of Lake Pontchartrain. I live in South Wales. U.K. They'll be a page somewhere on this site that I should have completed (a profile page) I'll bet. I'll do that next.

I don't want to say a word about Asset until you're ready, but I've read enough crime thrillers to know where this belongs. I can't wait. I sat up in bed until two in the morning to finish this and the next day I ran to the book shop in my lunch hour to order a copy of, Red Attack, White Resistance: Civil War in South Russia 1918 by Peter Kenez. I already own a copy of, The White Guard by Mikhail Bulgakov. You'll understand the relevance of those books once you've finished reading.

Bye for now. Sleep tight, with a book under your pillow.

Oh thank you! :) I have to say the idea of living on a farm is quite appealing. I've mentioned to my boyfriend before that we should live on a farm eventually but I know I wouldn't do well with mucking out animals. But maybe it could be an animal-free farm. :lol:

What other genres are you interested in?

I don't muck out. I occupy the spare room in my brother's farm house. The farm came with the wife (they are such a nice couple) they love all that getting dirty, wearing overalls, welly-gogs, bouncing around the fields in their Landy-Rover, and sleeping in the kitchen when the lambing is on. I feed the ducks on Sunday. I work in a bank, and have to wear boots and high leg socks when I walk down their muddy drive and along the narrow lane to the bus stop: I change into clean and polished court shoes on the bus. I did have a flat in a small town, but even that got to the point where the looneys were running up and down the street until two or three in the morning, shouting and fighting and being sick in the gutter. Yuck.

I read History (the breathtaking stuff - everything Peter Hopkirk has written). Political Fiction. Historical Fiction. My top reads: The Great Game. Kim. Anna Karenina. For Whom the Bell Tolls. Operation Mincemeat. Spies. Hole. To Kill a Mockingbird. The 39 Steps. Greenmantle. Great Expectations. The Grapes of Wrath. The Catcher in the Rye. A Passage to India. 

Felis.

No, I tend to miss out on a great many films. Especially those that are based on good books. With my parents, I go as far as the local theatre, now and then; it's mostly jolly japes - so more for a giggle. A change is as good as a rest.

Hello Chesilbeach, thank you for your welcome.

Hello Frankie, thank you. I tried so hard to find work in a library once I was out of pigtails, but alas it was all part-time volunteer work in my neck of the woods. And as luck would have it, I needed to earn a crust. Fiddle-de-dee, said I. Again I would have to move to one of those places with lots of buildings and streets and cars and shops and madness: a city.

Welcome here :). I live on a farm too (with my parents), though we aren't farmers. We have dogs, goats and chicken and just have them because it's nice (as pets I suppose). Our drive is muddy too though with this weather XD, so I can understand where you're coming from.

My parents worked as teachers. My brother, with great A Levels, ups and says, 'I'm off to Australia.' Mum and Dad shriek. We get a letter now and then and an email once in a while. He turns up five years later, all weather tanned and muscular, 'I've been sheep shearing,' says he, with a ponytail. A ponytail! He left home with a crew cut. I'd grown up somewhat, I thought he was a real hunk. I don't anymore, he's just my big brother now. Anyway, he declares, 'I'm going to farm.' Next thing you know he's swapping spit with this rather hot blonde: her dad owns a farm. He gets a job at the farm. They get married. They get a farm, a farm, for a wedding present. Her family ain't short of a shilling. She's great, I love her to bits. And my big brother. As I said, it's a cool place to live, and I do my bit: I feed the ducks on Sunday.

Hi Peahen, I'm so glad you said hello. When you do, please let me know. I haven't stopped thinking about the military conscript line that this book takes in. I'm not that worldly wise: I read but I'm not too sure that counts for too much.

I'll say goodnight, I need to go to work tomorrow. Sleep tight, with a book under your pillow.

Felis.

Hey there Felis!  I'm so glad to hear your opinion of Asset...I'm really enjoying it. 

I read about it on another forum, and checked it out.  Glad I did.  I'm about half way through.

I haven't read Mikhail Bulgakov yet though.

And, btw, Welcome to the forum! :D

Hello Bree and hello Bobblybear, thank you both for your welcome. I've been to work, I've done my shopping, and I'm now back at the farm. Yippee.

Hey there, Pontalba. Thank you for saying hello to me. I enjoyed Asset immensely and only bought it because the author lives local to me. Support your local bookstore is my motto - we need to keep hold of them - therefore support your local author, I say. Although I must admit, the article in the local paper was really interesting and the interview he gave on the radio (on a Sunday - lucky me) did pin my ears back. (support your local radio) The White Guard by Mikhail Bulgakov is good. Pretty real: action packed and bloody and emotional: the Cossacks and the struggle against the Red Army at the close of WWI. The Cossacks (the Don Cossacks in particular) swore an allegiance to the Tsar and as part of that swore to protect the people, the poor, the infirm, the abused. I'll not say anymore until you've finished it.

It's still early where you are, and so I hope you have a great day. Sleep tight, with a book under your pillow.

Felis.

Hello and welcome Felis!

I would love to live on a farm. Make a perfect place for my photography! So much space, no lit pollution. I would be able to take so many shots of the stars, and everything else!

Edited by Devi

Good-day, Devi,

My brother spent five years in Aus, and he waxes lyrical over your little island. I've not been anywhere - yet, but you're bang on about the farm: it's quiet, it's peaceful, and when it's dark-it's dark. We have lots of clouds here, maybe more than you, but on the nights when we don't there are lots of bright and shiny stars. In the summer, and it has to be the summer, I do sit out (with a book) and gaze up now and then.

You know, this is great being here - I'll start talking about books at some point - saying hello to people from all over (from down under even). 

I'm going to bed - thank you for saying hello - it's late (I've been reading) - goodnight Devi, sleep tight, with a book under your pillow.