Shelleys 2013 reading list

shelley.s

Glad you loved Watership Down .. it was one of my favourite books read last year.

I'm only just catching up with your reviews and was really interested in what you had to say about The Land of Decoration. I've thought about reading it for a while but wasn't quite sure (although the cover was always jumping out at me in a 'this is right up your alley' type way :D) I'm encouraged now .. I think I'll get it. Thanks Shelley :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you loved Watership Down .. it was one of my favourite books read last year.

I'm only just catching up with your reviews and was really interested in what you had to say about The Land of Decoration. I've thought about reading it for a while but wasn't quite sure (although the cover was always jumping out at me in a 'this is right up your alley' type way :D) I'm encouraged now .. I think I'll get it. Thanks Shelley :)

Yeh its defiantly worth a read! I don't normally go for those sort of books (i don't really like reading about religion) but it was really good and i was pleasantly surprised. 

I've added Nod by Adrian Barnes to my wishlist! Sounds so interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

The girl who chased the moon by Sarah Addison Allen ~ 3/5

About the book (Amazon)

Emily Benedict came to Mullaby, North Carolina, hoping to solve at least some of the riddles surrounding her mother's life. But the moment Emily enters the house where her mother grew up and meets the grandfather she never knew, she realises that mysteries aren't solved in Mullaby, they're a way of life. Here are rooms where the wallpaper changes to suit your mood. Unexplained lights skip across the yard at midnight. And a neighbour, Julia Winterson, bakes hope in the form of cakes, offering them to satisfy the town's sweet tooth - but also in the hope of rekindling a love she fears might be lost forever. Can a hummingbird cake really bring back a lost love? Is there really a ghost dancing in Emily's backyard? The answers are never what you expect. But in this town of lovable misfits, the unexpected fits right in.

My thoughts

I wasn't sure about this book when i first got it. I needed a new book and i really didn't know what to read so i just randomly picked one off of my tiny wish list and this happened to be it. I read the first couple of pages and it looked like the book was going to be awful, it was really sort of heat magazine/gossip column, the content i mean not the way it was written. Once i got out of the first few chapters i realized it had sucked me in without knowing it! I was like a Venus fly trap. I literally ate through the book and read it within a few days. It was a really nice little read. I wish i could say the ending was better, the big Coffey secret wasn't really all that big and i knew what was going on way before the secret came out so its predictable but there's a nice little piece at the end i didn't expect which left me quite happy and warmed. This would be a great holiday read, more so for a teenager (id say its a YA novel though not sure if it comes under that) or for someone that wants to eat through a tonne of books round the pool or beach. I liked it though i cant give more than a 3 star as the wasn't enough wow content for me but its a charming read.

Ive just ordered Mixtape for the apocalypse and Hunting Lila, i'll read which ever lands on the door step first. Im getting really bad at ordering things on time for when i run out. Probably going to be bookless for a few days now, sad times!

Im still struggling to find things i really want to read. Im totally looking forward to Mixtape for the apocalypse as i've waited for this to be available on amazon for about 6 months now, the joys of out of print books, but other than this one ive literally just been picking stuff randomly because i really cant decide what else i want. I think ive got readers block :o Everything i have picked has been good but the only book that has really wowed me recently was Nod. Its the only book that ive still been mulling over a few days after i finished it. The others ive sort of forgotten as soon as ive put down.

I really want something with a massive & impressive/genius twist, like A Scanner Darkly or Shutter Island, any ideas?

Edited by shelley.s

• 3 weeks later...

Mixtape for the apocalypse by Jemiah Jefferson ~ 3/5

About the book (Amazon)

Meet Squire. He's your average music-obsessed twenty-three-year-old Portlander, juggling a job as an internet support technician, an indie comics gig, and a long-simmering crush on his best friend, Lise. He smokes too much weed, drinks too many cocktails, and watches too much Star Trek. And when his co-workers, baristas, and friends begin to turn on him one by one, his good-natured paranoia expands into a chilling, terrifying certainty about the end of the world. A darkly comic novel about a young man who slowly but surely loses his grip on reality, but never on his taste in music.

My Thoughts

I really liked this book. I have no idea how to categorize it though. Weirdly I quite like reading about characters that descend into psychosis as i find its very different to read which if done well, although in some cases it makes no sense what so ever, its completely gripping. This book was done well. Its really just a story of friendship, growing up, ever increasing paranoia, tons of weed and lots of The Bunnymen but i literally couldnt put it down. I read it in three days and my need for a bazaar character was definitely satisfied afterwards.   

Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson ~ 4/5

About the book (Amazon)

17-year-old Lila has two secrets she's prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she's been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. After a mugging exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they've found them. In a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers -and her mother's killer is one of them...

My thoughts

I loved this book. The characters are so well written and easily believable. The love between Lila and Alex is something i think everyone has experienced at some point, that major crush when you desperately want to be around someone that doesnt know you love them, the emotions are down to a tee. Whilst the love story runs throughout the veins of every page there's also the main story which is exciting throughout. There wasnt a dull page in this book at all and a twist at the end which was fairly unexpected. Cant wait to read the second book  

Edited by shelley.s

• 3 weeks later...

Loosing Lila by Sarah Alderson 3/5

About the book (Amazon)

Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which is somehow tracking their every move. While Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila's only thought is of finding a way back to California so she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they're being held. Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the others she's come to think of as family, Lila plans not only to save her brother and mum, but also to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. But the plan requires Lila to return to California alone, and to make friends with the enemy - and in doing so, she risks losing everything: Alex, her family...even her life.

My Thoughts

I thought the book was really gripping (hence reading this book straight after the first one) however i have only given this one a 3/5. The story was really good and i loved all of the characters but i just felt the ending was really predictable and there wasn't really much of a struggle, too much went to plan. We also weren't given much back ground or any thing to character build the other characters with which i thought we might get in the second book as it was lacking in the first. Its a good book and finishes off the first one well but the first book was a bit more exciting.  

The girl who chased the moon by Sarah Addison Allen ~ 3/5

There's really something about the blurb/synopsis that sounds great, I really like the sound of this :) Thanks for the review! I think I'm well prepared for it, knowing that the big secret wasn't such a big secret - I'm adjusting my expectations accordingly :)

Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson ~ 4/5

This sounds really great, too, I liked the synopsis and I could definitely fancy a story where there is a first big crush thing in it.... :blush::giggle2:

Great reviews, looking forward to reading your next ones! :) 

The world Jones made by Philip K Dick 4/5

About the book (Amazon)

Floyd Jones is sullen, ungainly and quite possibly mad, but he really can see exactly one year into the future. And this talent means that in a very short time he rises from being a disgruntled carnival fortune-teller to convulse an entire planet. For Jones becomes a demagogue, whipping up the ideal-starved population into a frenzy against the threat of the 'drifters' , enormous single-cell protoplasms that may be landing on Earth soon.

But, in a world of engineered mutants, hermaphrodite sex performers in drug-fuelled nightclubs, Jones is a tragic messiah. His limited precognition renders him helpless because he cannot bring himself to fight against what he knows will happen . . .

My Thoughts

Another awesome book to add to the Dick pile. I've been slowly but surely working my way through PKD books, sometimes i really cant connect with them and they are just a bit too crazy for me to understand such as Valis and to an extent Ubik but The world Jones made was a really enjoyable breeze to read, as well as still being a genius idea like A Scanner Darkly and Do andriods dream of electric sheep. I love the slightly easier books, i read to enjoy and relax not work hard on trying to understand the plot! This book is one i'd recommend to people that haven't read PKD before because it will really ease you in to his bizarre mind, its the tamest one i've read. 

No, I haven't. It's also on my wishlist :). I recently read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and quite liked it and so added some other books by the author to my wishlist. Glad to hear you really like A Scanner Darkly, I'll definately have to get it at some point!

Doll Bones by Holly Black ~ 3/5

About the book (Amazon)

Twelve-year-old Zach is too old to play with toys. Or at least, that's what his father thinks.

But even though he stops hanging out with Poppy and Alice, stops playing with his action figures, it's no good. There's one toy that still wants to play with him. A doll that's made from the bones of a dead girl.

The only way to end the game is to lay the doll to rest forever. It's time for a journey to Spring Grove cemetery. It's time to grow up.

My Thoughts

I read the Spiderwicke Chronicles when i was younger and was really excited to discover doll bones as id really enjoyed the other books by Holly Black. I was however slightly disappointed. The book should have felt really nostalgic, the characters reminded me of myself, not wanting to grow up and still trying to play games that really i was too old for but it just didn't. The plot is good and there's times where its exciting but it never really gripped me as not much actually really happened in the way of the doll doing things. I can see that the main story line was about the fact they were having to grow up and deal with their relationships with their parents etc but that part of it wasn't loud and clear enough. Its a nice simple read, very much so more for children than YA's. I'm glad i read it, just for old times sake but i probably wont pursue any more of her books just because i felt just a bit too old to be reading it. It would be a good read for children between 9-12yrs i think.   

Edited by shelley.s

I've had Doll Bones on my wishlist for a while but don't know whether to cross it off now. I haven't read anything else by Holly but this one sounded appealing .. perhaps if I see it at the library I'll borrow it but other than that .. I don't think I'll seek it out. Thanks for your thoughts on it Shelley :)

Yeh i'd defiantly borrow it from the library. I like the cover, the illustration is kooky and it fits in with my array of random books but if you aren't a 12 year old girl your probably not going to appreciate it all that much.

• 2 weeks later...

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut 3/5

About the book (Amazon)

Prisoner of war, optometrist, time-traveller - these are the life roles of Billy Pilgrim, hero of this miraculously moving, bitter and funny story of innocence faced with apocalypse. Slaughterhouse 5 is one of the world's great anti-war books. Centring on the infamous fire-bombing of Dresden in the Second World War, Billy Pilgrim's odyssey through time reflects the journey of our own fractured lives as we search for meaning in what we are afraid to know.

My Thoughts

Quite a few people recommended this book to me so i decided to bump it up the list and read it sooner. Whilst it was a good read it didn't really excite me all that much. The war side of the book really interested me but i didn't really think that the time travelling aspect of the book fitted in. It would have worked perfectly well with out it

also i found the whole alien abduction rather odd, what was that all about!

In my opinion the 2 random 'scifi' parts of the books where not interwoven properly and there wasn't really much need for them, if he'd gone into more detail about the war and introduced some more characters it would have made for better reading. It was good but i don't think the hype was justified.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark Eden by Chris Beckett ~ 5/5

About the book (Amazon)

You live in Eden. You are a member of the Family, one of 532 descendants of Angela and Tommy. You shelter beneath the light and warmth of the Forest's lantern trees, hunting woollybuck and harvesting tree candy. Beyond the forest lie the treeless mountains of the Snowy Dark and a cold so bitter and a night so profound that no man has ever crossed it. The Oldest among you recount legends of a world where light came from the sky, where men and women made boats that could cross between worlds. One day, the Oldest say, they will come back for you. You live in Eden. You are a member of the Family, one of 532 descendants of two marooned explorers. You huddle, slowly starving, beneath the light and warmth of geothermal trees, confined to one barely habitable valley of a startlingly alien, sunless world. After 163 years and six generations of incestuous inbreeding, the Family is riddled with deformity and feeblemindedness. Your culture is a infantile stew of half-remembered fact and devolved ritual that stifles innovation and punishes independent thought. You are John Redlantern. You will break the laws of Eden, shatter the Family and change history. You will be the first to abandon hope, the first to abandon the old ways, the first to kill another, the first to venture in to the Dark, and the first to discover the truth about Eden.[/size]

My Thoughts[/size]

So this has been one of my favorite books of the year so far. It completely refreshed scifi as a genre for me. The story is gripping, i spent so many days being tired because i didn't put the book down when i should have and that's always a good sign! The settings are beautiful and totally original and everything in the world is creative and imaginative. I really don't have a bad word to say about this book at all. The ending kind of leaves it open for another book but i don't know if that would really benefit the story though saying that i would absolutely love to go back to Eden for another installment! If your a scifi fan id definalty have a look at this book!

Charm and Strange by Stephanie Kuehn 4/5

About the book (Amazon)

No one really knows who Andrew Winston Winters is. Least of all himself.

He is part Win, a lonely teenager exiled to a remote boarding school after a family tragedy. The guy who shuts the whole world out, no matter the cost, because his darkest fear is of himself . . . of the wolfish predator within.

But he's also part Drew, the angry boy with violent impulses that control him. The boy who, one fateful summer, was part of something so terrible it came close to destroying him.

My Thoughts

I was a bit apprehensive about this book, a lot of the reviews said that you never really knew where you were or what was going on throughout the story then it just kind of ends. Well i can see how maybe people did get a bit lost as the chapters go back an forth between the past and present without actually telling you so you could get half way through the page before you realize your in the past again however this didn't throw me at all, its easy when you get used to reading it after a few chapters. I thought it was really good, there isn't a chapter where something exciting isn't happening, its shrouded in mystery and again it was another book i found difficult to put down, especially as the chapters are quite short, you can always squeeze another one in and before you know it you've read half the book! It is kind of fantasy the whole way through until you get to the ending and every thing clicks into place and it becomes really sad/dark and actually not fantasy at all. Although it reads slightly as young adult its definatly not for children. I'm glad i read it, its very different and i wasn't expecting the ending at all.