pontalba's 2013 reading list

pontalba

Kat

You ,my friend, are on a roll !    Wow, are you cranking out the books this summer !   I may have to give one of your latest ones a try at some point. I'm not a huge mystery type reader , but the last one sounded almost like a true crime book ,so maybe it'd be up my alley . 

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL, yes, it seems so. :D 

And, yes, the Pelecanos reads almost like a true crime story.  The language is sharp and to the point.  You'd probably like the one I'm reading now as well.  Night Bus by Giampiero Rigosi.  It's turning into a "heist" story....almost all by accident.  Some people are accidently stealing something/and money from some very bad people.  I'm enjoying it!

Night Bus by Giampiero Rigosi 4/5

A blurb on the front cover from Times Literary Supplement says..."A black comedy in the style of Quentin Tarantino.". I am not too familiar with Tarantino, except by reputation, but I believe the blurb is correct.

This is a fast paced, heist, comedy of errors, shoot-em-up story, with very bad gangsters, very, very bad so-called government agents, corrupt cops and the obligatory "innocent" couple. Oh, I almost forgot the corrupt Minister of Something, high up in the Italian government that is being blackmailed. Said couple meet in the most bizarre manner, and are far from innocent. They do seem quite tame in contrast with all the other characters involved though.

The book is translated from the original Italian.

Recommended

The Lost Rocks: The Dare Stones and the Unsolved Mystery of Sir Walter Raleigh's Lost Colony by David La Vere 4/5

The only reason I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5 stars is on account of a bit too much repetition for my taste. The background of the stones and the historical record is intertwined beautifully, giving a real historical account, alongside the discovery of the stones. Most interesting.

As to whether the original, first stone is authentic, it seems the jury is still out on that one. The possible account that jives with the account on that stone makes a lot of sense, historically speaking. It has good vibes for this reader.

The reader is kept in suspense as to the veracity of the other 40-odd stones, and unless one is aware of the outcome from the newspaper reports of the late 30's and 40's, won't be sure until near the end of the book.

Some very interesting theories are brought out with regard for the reasons that the Colony was put in such jeopardy to begin with, including the machinations of one Sir Francis Walsingham, who was Queen Elizabeth I's spymaster. These are only briefly touched upon, and are certainly worth follow up with reading on that person.

Recommended

Thanks to Julie for recommending!!

So glad you enjoyed the book. I found it to be really interesting . Even after all these years, this may not make it any more clear to us as to the fate of the colonists . Could any of this be a possible answer ? I'd like to think so, but at the same time, I guess some of these unsolved historical things will remain that way, and up for debate forever .

I guess I'm curious as to why there have never been any traces of bones or remains, but they could quite possibly deteriorated completely I guess .

I didn't remember the man you mentioned in the book. My memory is foggy at best sometimes .Were you thinking there could have been some sort of sabotage ?

There was mention of Sir Francis Walsingham, the Queen's spymaster on page 112 of the softback copy.  Walsingham was the employer of Fernandez the Captain of the boat that brought colonists over, he abandoned them on Roanoke instead of bringing them to Chesapeake as he was supposed to.  Apparently he was an enemy of Sir Walter Raleigh.

From what I gathered, finally, it was the very first stone that told the real story.  Those other 40-odd stones were all the creation of Eberhardt.  At least that is the final consensus.  He sand blasted and stained the stones with some sort of acid to make them look old.  I was always suspicious of him as he refused to show Pearce the stones in situ.  I'd hoped that was simply my suspicious nature. :)

Nah, there is no way to know where the bodies ended up.  I thought the final analysis of the original stone, and the accompanying story beginning on page 191 was feasible.  Made a lot of sense to me. 

Yea, I remembered when Raleigh came back over ,and they were unable to land where he wanted to  ,but didn't remember the reason why . My memory isn't the greatest ,and it's been a couple months since I read the book ,so it's kinda foggy .

I thought the same as you as for all the later stones showing up ,when the guy that kept bringing them in wouldn't  do as he was told and leave them lay where he found them . Too bad that it turned out as it did . It may have finally given some definitive answers as to what happened to the group .

It's pretty sad that Raleigh would have had to leave and never be able to find out the fate of his daughter and baby granddaughter  ,for the rest of his life, always wondering what had happened to them .

Yea, I remembered when Raleigh came back over ,and they were unable to land where he wanted to  ,but didn't remember the reason why . My memory isn't the greatest ,and it's been a couple months since I read the book ,so it's kinda foggy .

I thought the same as you as for all the later stones showing up ,when the guy that kept bringing them in wouldn't  do as he was told and leave them lay where he found them . Too bad that it turned out as it did . It may have finally given some definitive answers as to what happened to the group .

It's pretty sad that Raleigh would have had to leave and never be able to find out the fate of his daughter and baby granddaughter  ,for the rest of his life, always wondering what had happened to them .

Oh, not Raleigh...it was Governor White that came back.  Eleanor Dare was his daughter.  I think Raleigh just sponsored that group.  He wasn't actually with them.

Yeah, I can't imagine how awful that must have been, the not knowing the fate of his family.  It's difficult for us to imagine the horrible conditions the colonists faced.  No help, no food - as it was too late in the growing season to plant, doubtful amount of supplies, surrounded by unknown, and mostly unfriendly strangers.  How different the Indians must have seemed to the English!  Back then, it was almost like the colonists, any colonists, were on a totally different planet.  Heck, another continent was, for all intents and purposes, a different planet in those days. 

Geez Louise .....

My poor brain cells are down to the single digits I think .That's what I get for reading a book 2 months ago and trying to remember what all went on .

I think my new quote needs to be " If I Only Had a Brain ..."

Thanks for clearing it up for me .

NOTE   TO  SELF :

Review a book as soon as you finish it so you can remember enough to write a proper review .

Oh, silly!  Goodness knows it is easy enough to get those guys confused.  I just hope I have it right.....seeing as I just finished the book!  :giggle2:

I'm almost finished the book on Walsingham.  And, I know I have another one around here, and I'll find it!  I really will!  :blush2:

Her Majesty's Spymaster by Stephen Budiansky 5/5

I've debated over a 4 star, or 5 star rating on this one. Finally figured it was, in fact, a 5 star read. I have to find my other Walsingham book, as this one tantalizes me with mostly superficial doings of the time. However, the research Budiansky put in is certainly extensive. His rendition of the Protestant/Catholic wars is fantastic. While I knew there was much hatred and conflict, the extent that many went to in order to reach their goals is mind boggling.

In many of the histories I've read, Drake comes off as the hero of the day.......and he was, however, without Walsingham's espionage network Drake could not possibly have been in position to accomplish anything. Walsingham laid down the pattern for spy work that is still much in evidence today. A forward thinking, fascinating man to say the least.

Recommended for history buffs.

Julie, I think you might find this interesting, with regard to the Roanoke book...on page 188  of this, Walsingham book, I found out at least one source of enmity between Raleigh and Walsingham. 

"And now it was Walsingham's old and long-estranged friend Burghley who came forth to press the suit in his behalf.  Burghley told Elizabeth that she should consider Walsingham "as one to whom under God she ought to acknowledge the preservation of her life" and reward him accordingly: Babington's estates were forfeit to the Crown, and she could make a gift of some of them to the man who, by exposing the plot, had saved her life.  The Queen, however, chose to give Babington's lands to Sir Walter Raleigh instead."

Burghley was an old friend and mentor of Walsingham, and Babington was someone that had plotted to kill Queen Elizabeth I that Walsingham exposed.  That is why Babington's lands were forfeit. 

Edited by pontalba

Her Majesty's Spymaster by Stephen Budiansky 5/5

Sounds good!  I've recently been tempted by a couple of books about Walsingham.  Have you read any of Rory Clements's 'John Shakespeare' novels?  Both Walsingham and Roanoke feature them (Roanoke especially in Revenger) :smile: 

Sounds good!  I've recently been tempted by a couple of books about Walsingham.  Have you read any of Rory Clements's 'John Shakespeare' novels?  Both Walsingham and Roanoke feature them (Roanoke especially in Revenger) :smile: 

Oh, drat!  Hadn't even heard of them.  /sigh/ lol

My credit card thanks you....../giggle/

Oh boy, you guys are digging up some more reading material on the Roanoke story  !!!  

Sounds very interesting  . 

Thanks for the extra info and links  .. I may not be done reading about Roanoke yet .    :)

LOL  Julie.   I just googled the Mary Celeste.  Wow.  What trials our antecedents had to face!  Our generation(s) are so fortunate.  Although I have to wonder.......will our descendants think we are just sooooooo terribly unfortunate?  Goodness knows what they'll come up with in the future. 

Who could have imagined, just a few generations ago, automobiles, computers, not to mention x-ray machines, CT scans, anesthetics for operations.....the list is endless!  Just think, some used to believe that if their picture was taken, their souls were being stolen...!! 

Edited by pontalba

So true . There have been so many inventions and more modern ways of doing things . Just in our lifetime, look how far certain things have come .Probably the biggest changes might be in the electronic area I guess . Also in the medical field, so many advances .

As for the Mary Celeste .it's another one of those "historical mysteries" with no answers .

I guess that's why I like true crime so much. The really  old ones that have never been solved are especially interesting .

Past Caring by Robert Goddard 4/5

A disgraced historian and teacher, Martin Radford is offered the chance of a lifetime. The chance to investigate a man as disgraced as himself. A man that doesn't even understand or know why is has lost the love he has patiently waited for and planned with for so long. A man that has to all intents and purposes, disappeared from history.

Our hero, Edwin Strafford's life fell apart in 1910. He was Home Secretary during England's Prime Minister Asquith's tenure. Strafford had a brilliant career ahead of him, a beautiful and intelligent young woman that he loved, and loved him in return. Then, suddenly it all fell apart. His fiance, apparently without rhyme or reason, rejects him and his career is inexplicably ended.

Past Caring is written partially in the form of memoir by Strafford, and partially by narration of Radford skillfully woven together by Goddard into a tale of political intrigue, murder, false leads and false friends. No one is as they seem.

I found the pacing of the story to be a bit erratic in places, but certainly worth the effort. This is a twisty tale that has some unexpected turns, although I did find enough foreshadowing, or telegraphing to be able to figure out where it must be going. But don't let that stop you from reading this very interesting fictional take on the politics of the day. Some fascinating insights are brought out in the plotting.

http://www.amazon.com/Past-Caring-Robert-Goddard/dp/0385341172/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372338763&sr=1-1&keywords=Past+Caring

Edited by pontalba

Is it fiction or non-fiction?

Past Caring is a fictional novel, with mostly fictional characters based in 1910, and 1977 England and Madeira. Goddard merely uses Asquith's government as a backdrop and frame for the story. :) http://www.amazon.com/Past-Caring-Robert-Goddard/dp/0385341172/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372338763&sr=1-1&keywords=Past+Caring

Edited by pontalba

Glad you got to give Goddard a try . He's one of my favorite fiction writers ,although I haven't read any of his recent books. Past Caring was probably my favorite . 

This was my second Goddard, I have two more on the shelf to read, but want to get to the other Walsingham book.  Not sure what I'll pick up next.  I feel like a complete change right now.

I'd have to agree, Goddard has become a favorite of mine too.

Man of Steel, the film

This is a fledging Superman, not the experienced, adult version that we've seen in the older versions of same. Experience had not yet taught him exactly what he is capable of, or the successful methodology.

Not our childhood Superman, but far better in my opinion.
We went to see Man of Steel yesterday, and yes, I agree the last third was pure CGI, "bam", "zowie" time.

However the back story of Krypton, the reasoning on sending the baby by his natural parents, and the growing up pains of the child, Clark Kent, were beautifully realized. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane were perfect for their roles, as were Russell Crowe and Antje Traue, in theirs as his natural parents.

I loved the way his Earth mother and father led him through the total weirdness the child must have felt. The x-ray vision, the strength, how easily all of that could have gone terribly wrong.

The villains were villainous enough, but not over the top, and General Zod's reasoning for his violence were both heartfelt and, understandable. Not excusable, but understandable. Ayelet Zurer made a glorious female villain, a realistic one too.

Yeah, we liked the film. :)    

Edited by pontalba