Jessi's Reading List - 2013

Jessi

War Horse by Micheal Morpurgo (4/5)

This was such a touching story which I really enjoyed. Following Joey the horse from birth to the end of the war,  we see the events of 1914 - 1918 through the eyes of one of the brave animals who went through the war. We see him come full circle in a way, going through various hands and going through no man’s land and behind enemy lines.

A very emotional book with loses as well as triumphs that made me teary. 

Edited by Jessi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I'm now going to have to google Goodnight Mr Tom to see what it's like :D Maybe something to add to the wishlist....

Edit: GMT is going on my wishlist, thanks :D

Goodnight Mr Tom is a wonderful read and the film adaptation of it staring John Thaw as Tom is wonderful. My eldest used to watch it over and over....think it had something to do with him looking a bit like his granpa... :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Goodnight Mr Tom is a wonderful read and the film adaptation of it staring John Thaw as Tom is wonderful. My eldest used to watch it over and over....think it had something to do with him looking a bit like his granpa... :smile:

Aww, thats sweet! 

So I've decided to review my reading goals every two months this year...

1. The TBR pile should be 176 or less on 1st January 2014 - I say it every year, but I must try and get it down - I have so far brought 8 (read 3 of them) and Read 10 off my TBR list - Meeting this goal.
2. Unless I am going to begin reading it that minute, make a list of kindle books I want. Don't just download - the only exceptions to this rule is books I want from the Daily Deal - Note quite met, but it doesn't matter too much at this point. 
3. 100 books has been my goal for three years running and it is staying for a fourth year. I came so close in 2012 - a Little behind, but could still make it. 
4. Make an effort to get half my 2009 books read - 21 throughout the year is doable - 2 read so far.
5. Keep up with reviews! I tailed off in March/April last year... opps - slipping behind, but can make it up.

That's another positive feedback on GMT, thanks :)

So I've decided to review my reading goals every two months this year...

1. The TBR pile should be 176 or less on 1st January 2014 - I say it every year, but I must try and get it down - I have so far brought 8 (read 3 of them) and Read 10 off my TBR list - Meeting this goal.

2. Unless I am going to begin reading it that minute, make a list of kindle books I want. Don't just download - the only exceptions to this rule is books I want from the Daily Deal - Note quite met, but it doesn't matter too much at this point. 

3. 100 books has been my goal for three years running and it is staying for a fourth year. I came so close in 2012 - a Little behind, but could still make it. 

4. Make an effort to get half my 2009 books read - 21 throughout the year is doable - 2 read so far.

5. Keep up with reviews! I tailed off in March/April last year... opps - slipping behind, but can make it up.

What a great idea, checking up on your own goals for this year every two months. That should help you keep focused! :) You're doing great so far, keep up the good work :friends3:

• 3 weeks later...

Modern Family - The writer of Modern Family (3/5)

To be honest when I received this, I was a little disappointed. I thought it was going to give added insight to the show, to give more depths to the characters. I did not realise it was just a book of quotes from the show, with a quick paragraph at the start of each chapter!

That said, it was probably my fault for not reading the blurb on Amazon more carefully. And I have read it twice through, both of which times I’ve been laughing out loud!

The Hobbit Offical Movie Guide by Brian Sibley (4/5)

Now this do what it said on the tiny. It gave great insight into the movie, wonderful interviews with the actors and crew and was beautifully laid out. A must for any fan of The Hobbit movie.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sign of Four by Arthur Canon Doyle (4/5)

I loved jumping back into Sherlock Holmes this year. I’m not one for crime novels really, but Doyle is the exception to the rule. I would recommend him to anyone. I did not enjoy Sign of Four as much as a Study in Scarlet but all the same, it was great!

One Pair of Hands - Monica Dickens (3/5)

Monica Dickens memoirs of being in service during the 1930s should interest any fans of Downton Abbey. Social history has become of increasing interest to me over the past few years and I enjoyed this. Monica wrote about the families she served (with various degrees of affection) and the jobs she did (with varying degrees of success.) perhaps due to her own status (Monica came from a well off family) I could not help but feel she was a little patronising towards those she worked with at times and came off as pleasant enough, but with an ego. An interesting read though.

Ah hadn't heard of this one Jessi. Thanks for the heads up. Have you read the Margaret Powell or Rose Plummer memoirs ?

The Sign of Four by Arthur Canon Doyle (4/5)

I loved jumping back into Sherlock Holmes this year. I’m not one for crime novels really, but Doyle is the exception to the rule. I would recommend him to anyone. I did not enjoy Sign of Four as much as a Study in Scarlet but all the same, it was great!

I'm currently on a spending freeze, so looking for free books for the Kindle, and I noticed that there are a lot of Sherlock Holmes ones in the list, but I'm also not a crime fan generally and look for something a bit different if I'm going to read in that genre, so reading your comment makes me think I should maybe try some of the Sherlock books too.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa! You're reading The Book Thief! I loved this book (I may have written about it on my Mac Reads thread). Hope all's groovy with you, Jessi.