Quinoa

Kylie

Does anyone have experience cooking with quinoa? It's apparently one of those amazing 'superfoods' - full of protein, fibre, iron and lots of essential amino acids. I bought a small packet of Moroccan flavoured quinoa the other day, and I'm about to test it out. I didn't want to jump straight in and buy a box of the stuff.

My friend, who is quite healthy but hasn't tried quinoa, said that he wants me to cook him something with quinoa next time he's around (probably a reasonable request - I think I have cooked exactly once for him before. We usually just do takeaway because I hate cooking.) Does anyone have any (preferably simple) recipes?

Quinoa, which as you say is one of those so-called super foods, has a slightly nutty flavour, and is cooked pretty much in the same way as most grains. I don't have any recipes per se, as I just tend to use it as an alternative to rice, or cous cous. The main advantage apart from the high protein content is the fact that unlike a lot of other grains, it is gluten free.

Edited by Talisman

Thanks everyone. I knew you'd be able to give me some good info, Talisman. :)

Chaliepud, I'm glad you've enjoyed it! It sounds like I might enjoy it too.

Frankie... :P. Oh, and don't do what I did and pronounce it quin-oh-ah. It's apparently produced keen-wah. :doh:

Quinoa, pronounced keenwah, can be cooked like cous cous or the same way you'd make some spicey rice. It can also be cooked with milk/water and a little sugar to make a breakfast porridge. It works in salads too. It also contains iron.

Here's some recipes from the bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/quinoa

Edited by Kreader

Oh, and don't do what I did and pronounce it quin-oh-ah. It's apparently produced keen-wah. :doh:

Oh, I always thought it was pronounced quin-oh-ah. :blush2: It's one of those foods that I've never tried, because I've never been quite sure what to do with it. I'll pick some up next time I go shopping and try a few things with it.

• 3 months later...

Oooh, Quinoa is fab, Kylie!  I prefer it like others have said, as a substitute for rice or pasta.  I'm quite fond of cooking up a big batch of quinoa and the rest of the week I'll have it in my salads, soups, and most of the time with grilled veggies and chicken.  I like to cook it in low-sodium broth and then throw in some cooking wine with the chicken and veggies before I put it over the quinoa and man is it good.

Happy cooking! :D