Book Cataloging software

wordsgood

I recently purchased some book database cataloging software you can use offline to not only keep track of what you own, but all the book's stats - ISBNs, cover type,etc. - that you can link to the web to automatically pull off certain details for individual entries. It's kind of like a fancy version of Access or similar database software. You can use set templates, or modify them to suit your needs.

It's been years since I've had to use any kind of database but with frequent use of it's help menu, most of the basic uses for them are coming back to me. The one I've purchased is called bookCAT by FNProgramvare. They also have other database software for various different types of collections (even stamps!), and one to catalogue all your possession, with the latter being marketed for use with personal insurance coverage.

I was wondering if anyone here is also using bookCAT or a similar program to catalogue their books? No particular reason I'm asking, just curious!

If you're interested, here's a link to the bookCAT page of FNProgramvare's site. It lists all the things bookCAT can do. (And yes, that is a "v" in their company name. :smile:)

http://www.fnprg.com/index.html

Edited by wordsgood

I definitely understand using database software you can customize 100% to your liking, but I was never really that good with them so prefer one that is already set up for this type of thing. I have customized it a bit, but most of the work was already done for me.

I have used a few online sites like GoodReads, and still do to a certain respect, but wanted something that I could use offline as well. Until recently I've relied on Word tables to keep track of various things, including books, but I finally realized I have acquired too many for that to be a manageable option any more. :giggle: Not that it makes one very popular when needing friends to help them move, but what heck, they sure are a fun addiction!

I use Delicious Library. It's offline software that does the same thing I see programs like collectorz and bookCAT do, but the best part is that they do it for free. You can make as many shelves as you can, it has a feature to scan your book's ISBN and they'll collect the data for you. You can do this for books, movies, games, electronics and other posessions all in one program.

I like it very much and the lay-out is also very nice. You can add your own notes as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Alexander! Sadly I discovered these other sites after I'd picked and purchased bookCAT. Still, I'm pretty happy with it even I'm having a teensy bit of buyers remorse. I looked-up Delicious Library and it does look great. Does say they charge $35 for it though. Maybe they have a free version as well as a paid one?

Delicious might indeed have a free trial - I was able to download a free trial version of Collectorz before I purchased it, although I had pretty much made up my mind to buy it anyway. :)

I really like the Collectorz software. I can batch scan my books' barcodes offline and then connect and send all of the barcodes over wifi to the software (technology tickles me pink sometimes - I never get sick of watching my barcodes magically appear on the screen :blush2:). I can also edit book data offline and then sync with the Collectorz website, which keeps all of my book info. I can share this list with others (similar to looking at others' bookshelves on Goodreads) and sync/import it back to my software if I manage to mess something up there. I bought the app for my iPad as well, which I'm looking forward to testing out at a big book fair I go to every year.

• 2 years later...

I'm now really curious about this Book Collectorz. Is it free of charge? What can I do with it  :readingtwo:  I mean I'm currently browsing their website but ... I'm wondering what are the reasons Book Collectorz fans really love that website? 

Edit: Ahaa! " The free trial is limited to 100 books. "

Edited by frankie

The ongoing fee is only if you want consistent updates though, if you stop the fee you can use the program but not any updates released after you stopped the fee. Personally I'm happy paying it because I love the software so much. It can do so many different things, I wouldn't want to be without it.