Wartime Songbird

• Admin
  • 9,676 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

Author: Mark Haddon
ISBN # 0099456761

Christopher is 15 years old & lives with his dad. He likes logic, maths & science because he understands them. What he doesn't understand is people - he hates being touched & cannot respond in the "normal" way to the emotions of others. In his opinion, animals are much better - they don't tell lies because they can't talk. So, when his neighbour's dog, Wellington, is mysteriously murdered with a garden fork, Christopher takes it upon himself to decipher the curious incident of the dog in the night-time & solve the crime in the style of his hero, Sherlock Holmes, & write a book about it as he does. In doing so, he unravels more secrets than he had bargained for & embarks upon a voyage of self-discovery that will take him away from the small town where everything is as he likes it, into a wider world where everything is confusing, scary & strange.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time has won the Whitbread Book of the Year award, the Guardian Children’s Fiction & the Book Trust Teenage Fiction award - & deservedly so! If it hadn’t been for the fact that I had other important things to be doing, I wouldn’t have put it down at all. As it was, even with the forced intermissions, it feels like I read this at warp-speed!

Haddon has a way of drawing the reader into the characters, especially that of Christopher, the focus & narrator of the story, who he has written so well that identifying with him & his problems becomes easy, even if those problems are uncomfortable to deal with. Autism is a difficult subject to tackle due to the preconceived ideas many people have, but it has been mastered artfully here & I felt that Haddon was completely in control with incredibly well-researched material. It felt real - compellingly so.

In the end, I think the main message of this story is universal: Limits are self-imposed & when we have to courage to push the boundaries, we open ourselves to new possibilities & find that we can accomplish anything.

#2 Maureen

Maureen

Addicted!

• Supporter
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

A friend of mine just lent me this. I knew Kell had written a review about it. I think I shall enjoy it..........................eventually (I have lots of books to read at the moment!!)

#3 Inanna

Inanna

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:42 PM

I have it too, and will read it one day :wink:

#4 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 8,581 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 13 June 2006 - 09:30 AM

Discussion continued here. :lol:

#5 iguana

iguana

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Reading now?:Famous Five book no. 5 Five Go Off In A Caravan
  • LocationMalta (Xemxija)

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

I was meaning to get this book. I am going to pester my mum for it more now. :giggle2:

#6 bree

bree

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Reading now?:Strawberry Girl ~ Lois Lenski
  • Locationin the Himalayas

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Ah! Good to see this here!
One of the more interesting books I've read - and Christopher's mind is heartbreaking-ly endearing.

Discussion continued here. :smile:

Michelle, I know this is an old thread - but that link isn't working.

#7 bree

bree

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts
  • Reading now?:Strawberry Girl ~ Lois Lenski
  • Locationin the Himalayas

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Ah - found the link with a simple search.
In case anyone else is looking for it : link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users