I’ve decided that I’m bored of both of these writers. With James Patterson it’s just the same old storylines, with just the names of the killers being changed. I’ve read most of the Alex Cross books and I’m sure if that were real life he would have been dead by book two. Similarly with Karen Rose it’s always the detective seemingly falling in love “too early” after losing a spouse etc. With both writers the killers are always too close to home or once a lifelong friend and quite frankly I’m bored of them.

I like the characters of the killers and the methods but I just wish the personal lives of those pursuing them would be different to what I already mentioned or maybe not delved into much at all. Maybe I’ve gotten used to the characters that continue throughout the books and need a change.

Any recommendations?

I would recommend Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme -series. I swear the 'main pursuer' is not your common guy.

Karin Slaughter's novels are also definitely worth giving a go.

And try Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series. If the protagonist is a serial killer himself, he can't be very plain.

Jo Nesbo's worth a look.

If you want to try something a bit different there are the historical crime/mystery stories, such as C J Sansom's 'Shardlake' books, and I'm really liking Rory Clements' 'John Shakespeare' novels at the moment.