a good book about the Titanic?

Can anyone recommend a book about the Titanic? I like non fictional books but don't want something purely factual, preferably someones experience whilst been on board and obviously surviving to write a book :blush2: ..... Many thanks

Hello and good luck with the search Phil, I suspect there is a glut of badly written books coming out with this being the anniversary year.

Can't help you with any recommendations, but I have heard of t-shirts that can be bought from Harland & Wolff. On the front it says 'Harland & Wolff, Makers of the Titanic' and on the back it says 'She was OK When She Left Us'.

:D

Can anyone recommend a book about the Titanic?

Hi Phil. A very good book about the Titanic would be 'Titanic Survivor' by Violet Jessop, published by Sheridan House. It tells the remarkable story of the woman who survived not only the famous Titanic, but her less well known sister ship Britannic too. Quite an amazing read.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Xander.

Of course, whilst not actually about Titanic itself, one could always track down the 1898 novella 'Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan' by Morgan Robertson, which contains astonishing similarities to the account of the Titanic disaster, but preceded the infamous foundering by fourteen years. There are several audio recordings available online.

Cheers,

Xander.

One I have on my Amazon list is A Night to Remember by Walter Lord. I think it's fiction but closely based on fact. I noticed in Tesco that it's been reprinted this year for the anniversary, having been out of print for several years. I haven't read it yet but it has good reviews if I remember correctly. :)

Ship of Dreams, Martina Devlin

Whilst researching this book, the author discovered that a distant relation was on board Titanic.

What I enjoyed about this book is that it follows a handful of people a year after the tragedy, although it is fiction you find yourself drawn to these people and care about what happens to them and it also shows how they cope with grief and how they try to get on with their lives the best they can.

Very enjoyable!