Delilah's books for 2012

Delilah

I've never done this before but here goes. I read these:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin- I was disappointed with this one. I don't usually read Young Adult novels but it sounded interesting and there were so many good reviews on Good Reads.

I reread Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey. I liked it better this time around. I am a teacher so I can totally relate! I guess kids in all different time periods can be little brats!

I read North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. I saw the BBC miniseries and I loved it. The book was good although a tad to long for my liking.

An Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James. Rummaging through Amazon.com I found this one. Previously I hadn't been too keen on James but this one was OK.

I have been forever trying to read Gothic fiction. But I couldn't get through "The Mysteries of Udolpho" by Anne Radcliffe. She just has way to much detail for me.

Currently reading a YA novel called "Jane" by April Lindner. I can't say I like it because it follows Jane Eyre much too closely. But pretty much anything connected to that wonderful book I will read!

Hi Delilah

The only one I have read is An Unsuitable Job for a Woman - it was years ago, so I can't remember anything about it except that I enjoyed it! I enjoyed the North and South miniseries too, and keep thinking of trying the book but haven't yet. I have a set of Anne Radcliffe books, but haven't read any of them; it sounds as though I will have to be in the mood to concentrate when I begin one!

Hope you enjoy your reading in 2012 :)

Thanks for your replies. "Jane" follows the original Jane Eyre much too closely but what can I say Nico Rathburn, rockstar as Mr. Rochester is almost every woman's fantasy. I would like to read earlier Gothic fiction. I enjoyed "The Castle of Otranto" very much. I would like to read "Melmoth the Wanderer" and others in a similar vein but sometimes the language of early novels can be tedious and off-putting.

I did try to read Dickens' "Bleak House" but I just couldn't get into his slow-paced narrative. I love to read classics but I just never being able to get into a Dickens novel. I have also tried George Eliot but don't like her prose. I think sometimes the BBC dramas of certain novels are better than the book.

I liked Gaskell's "North and South" and I downloaded "Mary Barton" to my Kindle but stopped reading it. Gaskell takes a long time to build up an interesting story.

I just read "The Doll and other stories" by Daphne du Maurier. I would recommend this one. Oddly, "The Doll" didn't impress me that much. I liked "Frustration" and "The Weekend" which talked about love gone awry. In fact many of them are about love gone wrong.

I downloaded "The Secret Adversary" by Agatha Christie. I never heard of Tuppence and Tommy. I was only acquainted with Miss Jane Marple and Hercule Poirot. This was a light, humourous read.4/5.

Next, I read "Candide" by Voltaire. Excellent book 5/5!

I downloaded "The Secret Adversary" by Agatha Christie. I never heard of Tuppence and Tommy. I was only acquainted with Miss Jane Marple and Hercule Poirot. This was a light, humourous read.4/5.

Tommy and Tuppence are delightful aren't they?

If you're interested, they feature in a four more books, after The Secret Adversary:

Partners in Crime

N or M?

By the Pricking of My Thumbs

Postern of Fate

and they age beautifully through them!