Angel's Classic Reads

Angel

I'll be interested in hearing what you thought of this one, as I read it last year. I went on to listen to the audio book of Northanger Abbey and that inspired me to pick up two more of her books to try...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I found Emma a very unlikeable character - I wanted to shake her and tell her to mind her own business! I also found it very dull - nothing ever seemed to happen and I didn't care about the characters (in fact, I found many of them particularly annoying!). It put me off Austen for quite a while till I got t Northanger Abeey! :D

I'm glad it didn't put you off Kell! Give Pride and Prejudice a go - this one is her best. Sense and Sensibility, is also good. I'm glad you tried Northanger Abbey - I haven't read it, it's on my TBR pile, but the film was good

I found Catherine Morland easy to relate to - years ago when I saw a copy of Northanger Abbey in my mum's bookcase it conjured up all sorts of gothic images in my mind - reading the novel I couldn't wait for her to go to the abbey to stay still thinking it was going to be a ghost story. I thought the recent dramatisation captured the spirit and anticipation really well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...