Suggestions for the Doorstep Challenge

Nici

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Seeing Plum Island by Nelson DeMille mentioned on another thread made me have a look at the books of his I have on my shelves:

Plum Island - 574 pages

Night Fall - 581 pages

The Charm School - 687 pages

Gold Coast - 637 pages

Up Country - 849 pages

And on the shelf below him are my Susan Howatch books:

The Wheel of Fortune - 1150 pages

Cashelmara - 702 pages

Penmarric - 717 pages

The Rich are Different - 699 pages

Sins of the Fathers - 719 pages

I really enjoyed all of the above! :censored:

• 2 months later...

One yo add to the Doorstep Challenge:

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (about 1150, I think)

Story about the building of a cathedral in 12th century England

Doorsteps that I've read in the last couple of years and loved:

A Suitable Boy - mentioned before on this thread but as it was by someone who had yet to read it, just to say it was fabulous! (1400+ pages)

Bleak House - Dickens at his very best (800+ pages)

This Thing of Darkness - fictionalised account of the relationship between Darwin and Fitzroy (captain of the Beagle). Harry Thompson's only novel, but what a novel! (750 pages)

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson's sequel to the Baroque Trilogy, that he actually wrote first. An amazing blend of war, modern day treasure hunting, cryptography and so much more. (920 pages).

Wolf Hall - a mere 620 pages, yet some people think it too big to tackle - my favourite book of 2009.

and the grand-daddy of them all - and one of the greatest - War and Peace. the title says it all!

I've also read The Count of Monte Cristo and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, but they've already been mentioned, so will merely second them.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

IT by Stephen King is definately a doorstop! At 1116 pages long its going to keep me busy for a while, but I'm really enjoying it! I would recommend it :blush:

I read this book when I was 18 years old (quite along time ago)It took me a month to read but well worth every moment.The stand is also a good book if you want to tackle something a bit bigger.Stephen King was my best author through my teens and early 20s.I stopped reading them as I got older and more fearful, stupid as they were always good books.Hope you enjoy.

• 1 month later...

The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow, 560 pages. Up in the top 5 crime novels I have read, brilliantly done.

Don Winslow's masterpiece is not only a page-turning thriller but also a rich and compelling novel about a very mixed group of characters, each in his or her own way seeking some sort of salvation or redemption. The plot is essentially simple: how the US government and some of its quasi-autonomous agencies (CIA, FBI, DEA) all for their own reasons encouraged, sponsored and actively financed and helped the development of the drug cartels and their trade in Mexico. Groups of characters - a young Chicano boy from the Barrio who makes good and becomes a Senator (and who is the target of an assassination plot that tops and tails the book); a morally troubled DEA boss who tries to do good, but who is driven by events and by a desire both for salvation and revenge to sleep with the devil; and the various gang leaders, some of them psychopathic, others urbane, civilised and deadly; a high-class prostitute; and a charismatic Catholic priest who is dedicated to the improvement of the lives of his people.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I suggest 'Kushiel's Dart' by Jacqueline Carey? It's 1015 pages long and as I'm in the midst of reading it, it'd be nice to make it the first one of my Doorstep Challenge!