A modern Witch by Debora Geary 4/5

A Hidden Witch by Debora Geary 4/5

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer 2/5

House Rules by Jodi PIcoult 3.5/5

The Persimmon Tree by Bryce Courtenay 3/5

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong 2/5

The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger 3/5

The Autobiography of Malcolm X - 3.5/5

The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay (reread)

The Twilight Saga (all 4 books) by Stephenie Meyer (reread)

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath 2.5/5

Sleepers by Lorenzo Carcaterra 4.5/5

The Hills is Lonely by Lillian Beckwith 2/5

The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley

One Day by David Nicholls 2/5

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris 3/5

Total = 35

ABANDONED BOOKS

The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier.

Edited by ladymacbeth

TBR PILE

Archer, Jeffrey - The Fourth Estate (2nd attempt)

Atwood, Margaret - The Blind Assassin (2nd attempt)

Bohjalian, Chris - Midwives (2nd attempt)

Brooks, Terry - The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara. Vol 1. The Ilse Witch (2nd attempt)

Brown, Dan - The Lost Symbol

Clancy, Tom - Without Remorse(2nd attempt)

Courtney, Bryce - The Persimmon Tree (2nd attempt)

Dahl, Roald - My Uncle Oswald (2nd attempt)

Eldredge, John - Wild at Heart

Feist, Raymond - Magician (will be third attempt)

Follett, Ken - A Dangerous Fortune

Frost, Jo - Confident Baby Care

Haddon, Mark - A Spot of Bother

Hugo, Victor - Les Miserables (3rd attempt)

Jones, Lloyd - Mister Pip

Kazantzakis, Nikos - Zorba the Greek

Lamb, Wally - I Know This Much is True

Lewis, Georgina - The Winter Tree

Revis, Beth - Across the Universe

Rutherfurd, Edward - London

Smith, Wilbur - The Triumph of the Sun

Twain, Mark - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Twain, Mark - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Vujicic, Nick - Life Without Limits

Yancey, Philip - What Good is God

Total at Start of 2012 - 25

Total at End of 2012 -23

NEW BOOKS IN 2012

Edited by ladymacbeth

Hi Lady

It sounds like you have set yourself a realistic goal for the year without too much pressure,and you also have a TBR pile that is manageable. Best wishes to get it down to a sizeable number and get lots of good reading in this year .

Well I was aiming for one book a month this year given how little reading I got done after Baby Macbeth was born last October. However I've already read two this month.

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare is the fourth in the Mortal Instruments series. I thought it was a bit disappointing. It does seem the series was meant to be a trilogy but the author decided to keep it going after it became popular. The third book showed no indication the main storyline wasn't resolved so it all feels like an afterthought. Also there were a few too many different relationship dramas going on in it between various characters that I just found were full of teen angst rather than having any real challenges to overcome.

Succubus Revealed by Richelle Mead - I love this author and I loved the series but she ran out of material for the book. Everyone who read the rest of the series would have known what was coming in this book and there were absolutely no surprises. A shame. Needed a twist to be thrown in there somewhere. The weak link in the series but I will still read everything Richelle writes as usually she is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no - I have started a new book category in my book list - abandoned books. To be honest there were quite a few last year. I just have such a low tolerance nowadays for books I don't like. Maybe because I don't have much reading time I don't want to waste it. but even when I had heaps of time I just seemed to be quite easily upset when I was pregnant (hormones?) and it hasn't really gone away.

Latest book - The Lady and the Unicorn I just found the characters quite unlikeable. A shame as I really enjoyed her book Remarkable Creatures.

• 5 months later...

Well have just updated my booklog which didn't take much doing. Hmm, having kids is bad for reading. 8 books this year. Last year I managed that in one month!

I just finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Total letdown. It felt like I was being given a lecture on deism.

My hubby just put Fifty Shades of Grey on my new Kindle. Not sure it's my cup of tea. I'm struggling to know why it's so popular. Ah well, you win some and lose some.

Glad to see you're back, Lady MacBeth! :)

I just finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Total letdown. It felt like I was being given a lecture on deism.

Oh dear :( I got this book as soon as it was published, me thinks, but I've never picked it up to read, I guess I've been worried it might be a letdown...

My hubby just put Fifty Shades of Grey on my new Kindle. Not sure it's my cup of tea. I'm struggling to know why it's so popular. Ah well, you win some and lose some.

There sure is a lot of talk on this book on here and everywhere, it seems! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you make of it :)

• 2 months later...

Woohoo. I'm so proud of myself. I finally finished Anna Karenina. I gave up halfway through last year but picked it up again recently on my Kindle. I'm glad I finished it for the sense of achievement but again it wasn't my cup of tea. I think the underlying story was okay but there was so much superfluous non-plot related writing. Anyway can cross that off my abandoned books list. I read somewhere that Anna Karenina was one of the greatest love stories ever told but I fail to see it.

Anyway, I'm no reading Catcher in the Rye and that is much more my type of book. I'm really enjoying it.

And yes vodkafan, Fifty Shades of Grey was appalling. I strangely read the second in the series but seeing as I skipped all the naughty bits it didn't take long. I'm surprised women fancy Christian Grey at all. He seemed a nasty piece of work to me and in the end every time he was mean / controlling (ie every time he said something) I wanted to rip his throat out with my bare hands. I do feel like reading a bit of romance though, I just need something a tiny bit intelligent at the same time. Any ideas appreciated.

Edited by ladymacbeth