Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I loved 'Therapy', so I have fairly high hopes for this one. :smile:

I have spent the last week picking up books or opening them on the kindle, reading a page or two and then giving a sigh and replacing it on the shelf or switching it off because it isn't 'quite right'. Mr Fitzek may be my solution.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2012, I have read 7 books so far, I am now re-reading a book I love, The Time Traveler's Wife, I worked at the bookshop and I bought way too many books already :smile:

picked up a few books this weekend:

Mary Anne-Daphne DuMaurier

I picked up Mary Anne last week and it's now in my to-read box. I'm looking forward to reading it.

I am about 5 chapters into Perdita: The Life of Mary Robinson by Paula Byrne. I am enjoying it so far.

Going to the library tomorrow to pick up some more books with my daughter :D

Have slipped with my 'less book buying in 2012" :( But on the positive side, in Waterstones today I bought...

Half of the Human Race - Anthony Quinn (2012 TV Book Club)

We Had It So Good - Linda Grant

Strangers on the 16:02 - Priya Basil (one of 2012 Quick Reads)

Plus my daughter just finished The Last Wolf by Michael Morpurgo and thinks I will like it so thats also gone onto the TBR shelf.

The shelf is now officially full so definitely no more buying until I've read some more of them!!!

I'm about a third of the way through I am the Messenger (Markus Zusak), it's definitely not The Book Thief but it's certainly unique and I think I'm enjoying it, I'll let you know!!! :smile:

I have downloaded 24 kindle freebies over the last week, I think this might be a new addiction of mine.

I also finished a couple of books over the last week - Out of Time by Deborah Truscott and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban by J. K. Rowling.

I have started I want it Now! by Julie Dawn Cole and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire now.

I'm about a third of the way through I am the Messenger (Markus Zusak), it's definitely not The Book Thief but it's certainly unique and I think I'm enjoying it, I'll let you know!!! :smile:

It's so very different from The Book Thief isn't it? I was of the same opinion as you: it's unique and I enjoyed it!

I have started I want it Now! by Julie Dawn Cole and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire now.

Yay! (especially for I Want it Now!)

I received a nice little book haul in the mail today:

Nicholas Karolides et al: 100 Banned Books: Censorship Histories of World Literature

Dai Sijie: Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress

Terry Teachout: The Skeptic: A Life of HL Mencken

Scarlett Thomas: The End of Mr Y

Rick Wartzman: Obscene in the Extreme: The Burning and Banning of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath

I have a large batch of other books on order too. :blush2: I guess I fell off the wagon and am being dragged along underneath it. Will somebody help me back up please?

I started reading Justin Halpern's Sh*t My Dad Says a couple of days ago. It's a good mood picker-upper. :D

I finished reading Pied Piper last night in bed and I absolutely loved it! :smile2: I started reading The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler after that, I need a light read and I thought I'd give Tyler a go. I'm also going to start reading Self-Made Man by Norah Vincent today.

Went to the library today and got out:

The Confessions of Katherine Howard - Suzannah Dunn

The Family Fang - Kevin Wilson

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie.

Then went to a charity shop and picked up:

The Picture of Dorian gray - Oscar Wilde

Lady Chatterkey's Lover - D. H. Lawrence

Innocent Traitor - Alison Weir

Started Gone With The Wind last night. It'll take me a while to understand the phoenetic speech Mitchell uses for the slaves. But so far so good. I do cringe at some of the things that have been said (about slavery), and I'm only on the first section of it!

Started Gone With The Wind last night. It'll take me a while to understand the phoenetic speech Mitchell uses for the slaves. But so far so good. I do cringe at some of the things that have been said (about slavery), and I'm only on the first section of it!

I winced a LOT during some of the book, especially as slavery is viewed in a positive light. I still thought it was an amazingly good read though :) Hope you enjoy it.

I winced a LOT during some of the book, especially as slavery is viewed in a positive light. I still thought it was an amazingly good read though :) Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, Ruth. I'm enjoying it so far. It's just that things are so different to the current climate of complete political correctness, that I'm a bit shocked by some of the things written. :thud:

I'm reviewing a lovely book for Amazon at the moment called The Beautiful Truth by Belinda Seaward - set in present day and wartime Poland. It's beautifully written and deeply moving. Not sure when it will be released but do look out for it.