What's your job?

Hyzenthlay

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Poppyshakes: it's interesting to hear you say that about being the pathetic author in a bookstore trying to grasp people's interests. I think I'd love to be the underdog author, the odd one out shunned by people.

Trust me, you wouldn't !

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago I got back from a week or so of raspberry picking and counting on a farm in Tasmania. Mmm, eating raspberries fresh off the bush - yum! It was hard work but rewarding, and I got paid quite well for it.

I worked for a while at the bank with the son of the farm's owners. He has his own business in buying the raspberries and distributing them. I had always fancied doing some fruit picking so the opportunity really fell in my lap. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I work in the technical dept of a Titanium foundry as a Metallurgist. My job is to check incoming orders and set out all the technical parameters and ensure we can (and do) meet the customer's requirements

Like most jobs, sometimes it's great and other days it's a slog!

Ian

Lets see, I've been a deputy sheriff (police officer). I've been in the Army, I've been an office assistant, store clerk, fast food worker, cafe worker, government employee, day care teacher, I've worked inside a prison as the personal assistant to the president of prison industries (they create jobs within the prisons which the prisoners have to apply for, they work and pay child support and compensation to their victims while creating needed services, these prisoners created hotel and restaurant furniture) I've been a babysitter and lastly, I've worked in our local bookstore. I am now a full-time student working on a double major in English and History. When that is completed I will go on to my graduate studies in Library Sciences. I hope to work as an academic librarian.

wow lots of interesting jobs there Kat ^^

As for me I have worked part time looking after animals, then I worked in Marks and Spencers Food Hall part time whilst I was studying, then I worked for a Freesia Centre, (in the shop selling gifts basic assistant admin etc) Then I went to uni for a year, then I quit that and came home, worked a few months as a temp office assistant and then I started working where I am now as a pre school assistant full time for a year now :)

I love my job, it is challenging but oh so rewarding and my dream job is to either study to become a teacher, or work as a teaching assistant, or become a writer.

From monday to friday I have school, and on friday evening and saturday I work in a bookstore. I'm a cashier there and I advise people about books. I also babysit sometimes, but that's actually not very often.

After this year, I'm going to study psychology. But I'm not sure what job I would want to do after my study. I think it's interesting to use psychology in stores, like what makes people buy something and how can you influence that. I actually try that sometimes when I have to put the books in the bookstore straight in the shelves. I set the unknown and weird books in full sight so people see quicker that we actually have these books. Otherwise people won't even know that we have a book about what to do when zombies take over, while of course they were looking for a book about that for years! I pile books on tables in all kind of forms (like pyramids or in a spiral) so it looks nicer. I always thought no one would buy a book about zombie invasions or knitting christmas balls, no matter in what good sight they are. To my surprise, I noticed that it really works and we sold these books suddenly much more :smile:

IT Support Analyst for T-Mobile. I look after all the desktops and laptops and the software on them. Sorry for breaking the string of cool interesting jobs with that humdinger. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a nurse, I work on a respiratory ward, and have been there for 2 years, worked have moved around a lot and worked in a lot of different specialties until I found my niche. Been off work for the best part of last year with back problems and had surgery in decemeber and I am hoping to get back to work within the next couple of months and have been doing a lot of reading in my time off :D

I have two very different part time jobs :smile: ! I work Monday - Thursday afternoons as a teaching assistant. It is a truly wonderful job :smile: ! I get my own groups of kids that I take out for group literacy sessions, and I do one-to-one sessions in phonics, speaking and communication, maths, spelling and counselling (two students died in a house fire last year and a few children find it difficult to come to terms with). I work Friday - Sunday at Morrisons on the checkouts, I hate it. People say you get spoken to like rubbish from the customers...that is nothing compared to how management talk to you. :Tantrum: I'm looking for full time work as a teaching assistant then I can pack in retail for good.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a primary teacher, currently teaching Year 5s (9-10 years old). I came into teaching fairly late, in my mid-40s some 8 years ago, having had a very varied career to that point, taking a fairly substantial pay cut in the process, and love it. It's the most exhausting and sometimes frustrating job I've ever done, but also the most rewarding and, yes, exciting. Above all else, it is never boring! And the children and my colleagues are fantastic!

Edited by willoyd

I was a full time games developer but had to give it up when I got sick, and then I worked part time at a games store selling games until I had to give that up too.

I am now trying to turn one of my hobbies (my photography) into a way of earning some extra cash!

I also started work as a freelance editor several months ago, which has virtually become another full-time job. I don't have much of a life at the moment but I don't care because it's my dream job and I'm very happy. I seem to be doing well because the good folks who hired me want me to work for them full time as soon as I want to start. :biggrin:

I'm editing full-time from home as of this week. :) My commuting time is down from 1.5 hours (one way) to about 5 seconds (longer if the cat gets underfoot during my walk down the hallway). Do I sound happy? I'm happy. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a support worker for Quarriers (I can finally say I have a job :giggle:)

Woohoo! Congrats, hun. :D

I'm a jobless student at the moment. Ideally I would like to get into medical research preferably cancer research. But I would be happy with any kind of scientific laboratory.

What an admirable goal. :smile: I hope you get into the field you want.

I'm a psychiatric nurse and have been qualified for about 6 years. My dream job would to be a published writer...I can dream eh?

You'd probably get some good writing material from your job, I guess?