Suggestions on a good book series?

oh right, not really my cup of tea then hehe. Wonder why they shot up the amazon book list??

There is a lot of press coverage about them because of both the theme of them (along the lines of their popularity is proving that erotica is becoming mainstream) and that they were initially self published as ebooks, after which the author signed an apparently six-figure deal with a publisher, and the first book sold more than 100,000 copies in its first week.

There is a lot of press coverage about them because of both the theme of them (along the lines of their popularity is proving that erotica is becoming mainstream) and that they were initially self published as ebooks, after which the author signed an apparently six-figure deal with a publisher, and the first book sold more than 100,000 copies in its first week.

Yikes! not bad going.

I can also recommend The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. The first book is named The Name of the Wind and I'm currently reading the second one, The Wise Man's Fear. I absolutely loved the first and so far also loving the second. The third book is still being written I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know I'm a bit late to be jumping into this thread, but thought I would put in my two cents anyway. Here's two series that I highly recommend, having read and re-read them multiple times. I looked and didn't see them named in the replies thus far. Hope you don't mind lots of details because I can't help myself sometimes! :giggle2:

The Belgariad, by David and Leigh Eddings

Note: This series was co-written with his wife but when it was first published in the 70's, they would not allow his wife's name to appear alongside his. Also, Eddings, who passed away in 2009, published several other very successful books and series.

The Begariad series itself is 5 books long (none of which are more than average size in terms of number of pages). They are not terribly deep reads, but I’ve always found them most entertaining!

There are also two large prequel books, with each one focussing on the history of one the main Belgariad characters, Belgarath and Polgara. The Rivan Codex (series companion book), which, to quote from their official site, is "a summary of the Events that have occurred and additional information on the history, gods, people of the Belgariad/Mallorean world."

This is a link to the Wikipedia entry about the series premise:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Belgariad

And the next link is to the Eddings’ official site, which has detail about all the books by the Eddings.

http://www.eddingschronicles.com/index.html

The Sword of Truth series, by Terry Goodkind

This is a huge series with book sizes averaging around 1000 pages each. This series has it all, politics, violence, sexual content, multi-faceted characters and a huge world it all plays out in.

The series was concluded with the 12th book, but there is also prequel novella about one of the main characters. In addition, there is a series related book with an offshoot story about the two lead characters that came out last year, and another recently released ebook prequel that helps to establish the setting for everything that came later.

I haven’t read the latest ebook prequel because Goodkind broke with his publisher and self-published this one, only putting out 300 paper copies which ran for a whopping $300US each! (The odd part is I believe all 300 sold out pretty much instantly. Who has that kind of money for one book? :o ) He is selling the ebook version directly from his official website. Personally speaking, I’m more than a bit annoyed about this release because I had faithfully purchased paper copies of every single book in or related to the series, and do not like that I can’t keep the set complete!

Anyway, Goodkind’s politics and life philosophies are very evident throughout the whole series, and many people have found that to be quite polarizing. Despite that, they are still hugely popular and have an immense following worldwide. And personally speaking, I think that any decent fantasy saga will have political and sociologic slants. That’s what makes them so interesting! I didn’t find the later books as good as the first 7 or 8, but still enjoyed all of them.

Here’s a link to the Wikipedia entry about the series, which it provides an extensive plot premise, as well as tons of additional info and links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_of_Truth

Next is the link to Goodkind’s official website:

And finally a link to the official fan forum, which by the way is not running at the moment but states it will come back online at some point: