Gardening

muggle not

I'm not much of a gardener (not having much of garden space :cry2: ); however about a week ago, I planted some chives, coriander, and parsley! :D Finally, yesterday I spotted some green bits poking up from the soil of the chive pot! :tong: I don't know what's happening with the coriander or parsley though. :blush: I've been leaving them outside (as it's been quite mild), so maybe that has been the problem. Anyway, yesterday I took the remainder of the seeds, and did some more planting and put them in a little greenhouse. Hopefully they will grow. :blush:

When we finally get a bigger garden, I'd love to grow my own herbs and veggies, and fruit if possible. Not so keen on having shrubs or flowers, but I love the idea of a veggie patch. :yahoo:

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to grow my own herbs

Herbs are great and a lot stay green through the winter. I love the different foliage you get with them plus a lot can be pruned into nice neat bushes.

My ash tree became stressed last year due to the droughts and now has canker. Whilst I've heard that copper based fungicides could help, does anyone know of a more friendly organic treatment please? I really don't want to lose this tree as it's a lovely one which provides vital shade for a south facing garden.

I really would love to help Angel but I haven't a clue. Gardners Question Time on Radio 4?

What a shame the South has really suffered, my mum lost a silver birch. We are much better off here in the Midlands.

My ash tree became stressed last year due to the droughts and now has canker. Whilst I've heard that copper based fungicides could help, does anyone know of a more friendly organic treatment please? I really don't want to lose this tree as it's a lovely one which provides vital shade for a south facing garden.

Angel, that is a serious problem and i suspect that forum members are afraid to recommend a possible cure as the tree may die and they do not want to be responsible. It is a serious problem though with the tree and I would recommend that you talk with someone at a garden center about possible cures.

Thanks Louise and Muggles. We are planning a trip to the garden centre later this week - unfortunately they are all part of a chain - so I hope that there is some-one who has detailed knowledge. It's such a shame that we are losing our nurserymen who really know what is what. I hadn't thought about Radio 4!

We are going to Sissinghurst Castle tomorrow which is owned by the National Trust - they must have a trick or two..............

We are going to Sissinghurst Castle tomorrow which is owned by the National Trust - they must have a trick or two..............

Isn't that where Vita Sackville-West lived with her husband? I've read several books about her ....she was a very interesting lady. Also seen books with her gardens in it....absolutely beautiful. Do I remember rightly that they have restored Sissinghurst Castle's gardens to how she designed them?

Angel, did you get to the garden center. If so, did you get any answers.

One of the Viburnums that I planted looks like the cold got it. The leaves are withering and dying. Darn! Darn! Darn!!

I bought 6 tomato plants and 4 pepper plants today. Will try to get them planted next week.

Muggles - unfortunately I haven't managed to go yet as I've been too busy - the kids are still on holiday until Monday. However we went to a Forestry Commission site this week and I picked up one of their information leaflets that stated that infected trees don't need to necessarily come down. So I think I will have to go with a fungicide in order to keep the tree. I can't find any organic methods so I don't think I have much choice - although it goes against my principles!

Trouble is with this good weather we are all being tempted to plant out earlier than normal - but the nights are still chilly - obviously a problem in the US as well.

I'm hoping to prick out my tomato seedlings tomorrow as the weather is set fair

I hope you don't mind, but I after going on about what my garden looked like when i moved in and all the work i have done since, i thought i would attach seom photos of the before and after:

This photo was taken when i moved in:

Mygarden24thJune2003-2.jpg

And these photo's were taken yesterday:

Mygarden15thApril2007-1.jpg

Mygarden15thApril2007-2.jpg

There is still a bit to do but I'm getting there! :)

Thanks everyone! My Dad has been a huge help as he layed the patio and did all the "heavy" work. It's nice to sit out there now and just look at the plants :D

Wondered who'd got the shed down - bet that was a big job. We pulled ours (very robust made of corrugated iron) down years ago - my husband invited his friend round to help - think they really enjoyed it!:)

Wondered who'd got the shed down - bet that was a big job. We pulled ours (very robust made of corrugated iron) down years ago - my husband invited his friend round to help - think they really enjoyed it!:)

I got the local council to come and take it down and take it away as it was so dangerous it was nearly falling apart, i was too scared to let Robbie go anywhere near it!

Men like jobs like that don't they! :D

Men like jobs like that don't they! :)

Yes first they kicked and knocked it down and then jumped all over it! Two squadies having fun!

Once it was clear we discovered that it had been there so long that the earth around it was quite high and we left it like that to create raised beds - we've left it a little bit wilder down there to encourage wildlife plus we have a pond.