Gardening

muggle not

Do Yews grow quite big? I've seen yew hedges in gardens, but only seen the trees in parks and churchyards. I quite fancy one as a hedge insread of the huge privet we inherited.

They grow quite large over here, we used to have some that were over 10 feet tall at least. They do make a lovely hedge too. The ones we had, I planted and only took, oh, maybe 5 or 6 years at the most to attain their height. Maybe there are different ones that grow at different paces?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spent the better part of the last two weekends in the garden. Pure heaven. Put in two new beds, my bulbs are all comming up, planted some lovely clematis vines , a concord grape vine, pulled the ferns out from the cellar and cut them back. It's so pretty on my patio right now. Next weekend I'm starting to shop for annuals.

clematis.jpg <--- clematis vine.

I love gardening. I started when I was very young. Us kids all had our own plots. Have been out this morning to tidy up the borders. Most of my daffs are going over now. There are a few that are in bud, but another week and that will be them for another year. I can only cope with about an hour at a time as bad back won't let me do anymore. But it is very therapeutic. Trouble is when I am out in the front gardening, I am so engrossed in it that I don't realise when anyone going past says hello to me. They must think I am a right old ignoramus.

Chrissie said

Trouble is when I am out in the front gardening, I am so engrossed in it that I don't realise when anyone going past says hello to me. They must think I am a right old ignoramus.

LOL. I used to be like that, but now I can't comcentrate because my knees stop me doing anything for more than a few minutes.

PP, that is a beautiful Jasmine (or Honeysuckle) that you have. I love it.

Pedigree (or dogmatix to some), I love your Clematis. Is is really full of flowers.

We are thinking of planting three "Gulf Stream Nandina" plants in front of our screen porch. We are really starting from scratch and it will be fun.

http://www.marcumsnursery.com/inventory/shrubdesc/nandina.htm

Spent today, sorting through some of the rubbish that was left in my garden by my middle daughter's partner. He seems to have fancied himself as a bit of a scrap merchant. But [a] why not at his own mother's garden? and why leave it behind? I'm not leaving the country again, I never know what I'll come back to:roll:

Muggles - I'm sorry I can't be more specific about it. I looked it up last year and found it, but I've forgotten again!:blush: I thought it was a kind of Japonica, but it looks more like a Jasmine. I went into the garden to hang out the washing and noticed that it has already started to flower. I will take a close up, and then someone may be able to identify it.

Suggestion: Everyone pester Poppy to post a photo of her roses. She has one of the nicest plantings of roses that you will ever see.

I love roses so please please please can I see a photo of them Poppy?

Poppy, I love the wild roses and don't remember ever seeing such a nice bunch. Echoing PP, you are indeed lucky to live in such a beautiful place. It would be wonderful to walk amongst those roses. I nominate your photos as photo of the year for the forum.

Oh thank you everyone. We are indeed very lucky to live in such beautiful surroundings, whenever I've lived in cities or towns I feel like I'm just biding my time to get out into the country again. However, it's looking much drier than this at the moment and most of the paddocks are looking very parched. Had rain today for the first time in ages but need a lot more yet.

Quite a few of the old roses have beautiful scents. I also grow David Austin roses, my favourite scented one is Cressida which smells like honey to me. It's a great blousey rose, like something you'd find decorating an old-fashioned picture hat.

33m4yg7.jpg

Muggle, taking photos has the advantage of you being able to cut out the weeds :blush:

That rose is beautiful. It reminds me of the roses tey depict in furnishing fabrics, always very blousey. I am not a great rose fan, but when they are budding and in full bloom they are exquisite. I love the bushes. They remind me of our wild dogrose bushes, which I do like, but yours have an oldy worldy quality which is very calming.