Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

ian

On 30/07/2020 at 7:27 PM, Raven said:

Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection, is published tomorrow as a e-book. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-Folly-Rivers-London-Collection-ebook/dp/B08BW6LCPH

I think this may be a collection of the Waterstones exclusive short stories plus some others and some new ones.

Oooh I need to charge my kindle! Have you read any yet?

4 hours ago, Hayley said:

Oooh I need to charge my kindle! Have you read any yet?

I've not actually bought it yet. 

I'm knee deep in an Iain M. Banks book that is talking me an age to read and I don't want the distraction! (I suspect I have also read several of the stories before, so it's not as high on my to-read list as it would otherwise be!).

On 01/08/2020 at 8:36 PM, Raven said:

I've not actually bought it yet. 

I'm knee deep in an Iain M. Banks book that is talking me an age to read and I don't want the distraction! (I suspect I have also read several of the stories before, so it's not as high on my to-read list as it would otherwise be!).

I don't feel like I want to read them as urgently as I always want to read the novels either, for the same reason. Which is lucky because I have no idea where I put the charger for my kindle...

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Raven said:
New novella next March: What Abigail Did That Summer

Looks like it is set at the same time as the main series novel Foxglove Summer.

It’s on my wishlist for the Kindle. Abigail seems to be a feisty female, who popped into the 2nd & 3rd series, so this novella should be good too.

On 23/10/2020 at 6:18 PM, Raven said:

I like Abigail as well. Aaronovitch seems to be pretty good at writing feisty females!

The foxes are in it; they think they are spies, according to the blurb!

I think the previous hardback novellas have been around that price. 

Yes, the foxes were talking to Abigail at the last of Whispers Underground. Aaronvitch’s female characters are very feisty, except FBI agent Reynolds, but I think that was intended

Spoiler

as she was evangelical Christian (hints by telling people not to swear as it blaspheming, saying Thank God when they were saved from the sewers etc. etc).

Well, that’s my interpretation of it anyway. 

Edited by Marie H
Poor spelling.....😬

I've just found out by chance ie surfing on Amazon, that False Values has been out in paperback for a month, yet I haven't seen it promoted, or even on a table, in one bookshop locally.  But  they promote the new novel by some reality TV star with no writing experience whatsoever.

11 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I've just found out by chance ie surfing on Amazon, that False Values has been out in paperback for a month, yet I haven't seen it promoted, or even on a table, in one bookshop locally.  But  they promote the new novel by some reality TV star with no writing experience whatsoever.

I think I've only ever seen Aaronovitch's books on a table in the science fiction section of Waterstone's.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So, What Abigail Did That Summer is out next Thursday - when are Waterstone's going to dispatch my pre-order and when am I going to get it?! 

Was tempted to wait until the shops open and make this my first book purchase of 2021, but I realised I just don't have the patience! 

Decided to go with Waterstone's rather than Amazon because I would have purchased from them had they been open.

Edited by Raven
Rogue boldy...

18 hours ago, Raven said:

So, What Abigail Did That Summer is out next Thursday p

:boogie: I’m looking forward to Abigail, and fox whispering!

For those that have chewed their way through the latest novella already, news from Amazon about what is coming next...

60589fe72a6a7_MondayMonday.JPG.9f85a43e325e7b035fe22865309fabb9.JPG

Monday, Monday - A new graphic novel - featuring a Swedish Werewolf! - which I'm pleased to see as I hadn't heard anything about this series for a while and was beginning to wonder if it had come to an end.

6058a0367deb3_Novella4.JPG.87d2219b55faf96572c27bf38923e54d.JPG

Novella 4 - I've lost track of what this is supposed to be.  I thought that after the success of The Furthest Station Ben announced plans for four more novellas; the two we have already had and two more that were supposed to be about Agent Reynolds and Thomas Nightingale respectively, but this is saying 4 of 4, so I don't know if this is still the case and I'm not sure which this will be (judging by some of the questions Ben has been asking on his Twitter feed, my money would be on this one being the Agent Reynolds story).

Nothing I have seen or can find yet on the next full length novel.

Also, don't read too much into the above publication dates, Ben's novels quite often get put back!

Ooooooh, well spotted! I'm looking forward to an Agent Reynolds story, I think that's going to be some really interesting background to the series. We already know quite a bit about Nightingale (although I will look forward to that one too!)

I'm trying to save What Abigail Did That Summer, at least until I've finished the book I'm currently reading, but I'm so tempted to just read it straight away! 

Ben was asking his followers on Twitter who they would like to heard more about (I think he was referring to the short stories he writes for the Waterstone's novels, rather than more novellas). 

I suggested Doctor Walid. 

Just now, Raven said:

I suggested Doctor Walid.

Yes, definitely!

I do really want to know more about Molly and what exactly she is, but I suspect that's going to slowly come in to the main novels. 

To be honest though he could release a novella about literally any of the characters and I'd still read it :lol:

16 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Yes, definitely!

I do really want to know more about Molly and what exactly she is, but I suspect that's going to slowly come in to the main novels. 

I'm not sure how a novel or novella centred on Molly would work, given he always writes in the first person (I guess he could change that for one story, though).

16 minutes ago, Hayley said:

To be honest though he could release a novella about literally any of the characters and I'd still read it :lol:

I'm sure I would as well!

3 minutes ago, Raven said:

I'm not sure how a novel or novella centred on Molly would work, given he always writes in the first person (I guess he could change that for one story, though).

That is a good point. Although I suppose she might write even though she doesn't speak? Something written from Nightingale's perspective on how he met her and what he knows about her background would be good too. 

30 minutes ago, Hayley said:

That is a good point. Although I suppose she might write even though she doesn't speak?

She can write; I'm pretty sure it is mentioned more than once in the books (doesn't she have a cookery blog at one point?) but she is not human, so how would she articulate her thoughts? What would that read like? 

30 minutes ago, Hayley said:

Something written from Nightingale's perspective on how he met her and what he knows about her background would be good too. 

I suspect that will be the way we will learn more about her, but I also suspect it will be drip fed over a number of books, rather than being told in a single story.