Dune series by Frank Herbert

Stiggy

Dune is one of my favorite books. Frank Herbert (author) was a genious. I love the depth he gives the world and people, like the lore of the Fremen, or the Royal Houses and their bloodlines, even the Bene Gesserit are not only cool but important.

take in mind I've only read the first one and just bought the second one "Dune: Messiah"

anyone here read any of them?

• 5 years later...

I read and enjoyed the first one, but I confess that I found it kinda long, which is why I haven't pursued the series further. Actually I quite enjoyed the 1984 movie, hokey though it was, and I'm sorry to hear that the recent attempt to return it to the silver screen was abandoned. I would think it's a very hard book to adapt into a movie format.

I definitely agree that the world Herbert created was extremely well crafted and finely detailed. I really like some of the names he came up with as well, they fit the characters superbly.

Cheers,

Xander.

I read the first two books but didn't enjoy the second half as much so didn't pursue it any more. I also enjoyed the 1984 film and can't understand why it was so pilloried . Might try to get that on Amazon. Thanks for reminding me Xander.

I also enjoyed the 1984 film and can't understand why it was so pilloried . Might try to get that on Amazon.

I saw it on Blu-Ray at Future Shop the other day, but 'She who must be obeyed' said that it was boring. :) Loved the soundtrack by Toto as well.

Cheers,

Xander.

I love the first book, one of my faves. I read the next two but didn't think they were that great, tbh. I think the first book stands on its own, and didn't really need all the subsequent books.

The problem with Lynch's movie is that it spends two hours on the first half of the book and ten minutes on the second half. It's okay, but a classic book like this deserves better. The tv mini series wasn't great either.