Do you catalogue your books on the internet?

Oh whoops! I never use these sites so I didn't realise there was a user-name thread. Thanks, lots of people have already listed theirs. I'll add mine :D

I always plan to use these sorts of sites, but find it time consuming to go back and list all the books I own/have read. I'll see how I get on Goodreads :) It's certainly a nicer way of cataloguing books than simply typing up all their names in a word document I think.

I spent ages looking for each specific edition of the books I own before realising that's what the ISBN is used for!! D'oh... I have to limit myself to no more than 30 mins a day otherwise I'll sit in my study cataloging and forget to go to work, eat dinner, say hello to hubby, feed the cats etc.... :giggle:

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know where else to post this, so hope this is as good as any other thread:

Anybody else been having the same trouble with LibraryThing as me? More and more often, when I try to select a cover for a book, the selection of covers is not coming up on the screen - the numbers, the section titles yes, but not the actual covers. When I try to retrieve them using the links, LT just freezes up and refuses to load the page. When I browse through my or other catalogues, loads of the pictures are just not loading up. Doesn't matter what computer I do it from, it's happening across the board.

It's just the covers I'm having problems with, and it seems to be random which ones it affects.

I use Shelfari. I think it was Kylie who said about having to have matching covers. I just upload if the one I have isn't there - all my covers that show up are the actual covers I have. :)

I'm on Goodreads and LibraryThing, but I don't often use them - I tend to browse but I don't upload often - they aren't up-to-date like my Shelfari is.

• 3 weeks later...

I have never heard of LibraryThing or Shelfari, I shall have to have a look at them. I will also have to join Goodreads, I have looked on there before, then forgot all about it - glad I checked this thread to remind myself. Will have a little look on there later tonight.

Edited by HoneyGirl

• 9 months later...

Does anyone on here use collectorz? I've tried Goodreads but I don't like the fact that I have no control over covers - and I want the online library to actually look like my books, rather than US/foreign editions etc.

Just looked at collectorz tonight and will give the trial a whirl, just not sure about paying for something like this!

I just looked up Collectorz. It looks pretty awesome. I think there are other similar programs that do the same sort of things (perhaps cheaper), but I think I might give Collectorz a go. I have been looking for something like this for a while, and it looks to be extremely detailed (which means it will keep me occupied for many, many hours!) I like that you can tell it how to sort books (e.g. ignore 'The' at the beginning). Even better, you can get it consistently capitalise book titles in any way you want.

I have used LibraryThing and Goodreads for a number of years, but I feel like I'm losing my grip on both of them because there are inconsistencies in how I've labelled books and I forget to move them to different shelves when I decide to get rid of them etc. I basically need to start over again, so I might as well start with something different altogether! I'll give the trial version a go, too. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it, Matt.

The main feature I like about Library Thing is that they will list dupliate titles. Between my husband and myself we have lots of duplicates, different versions of the same title. Goodreads will not allow duplicate titles, even if the ISBN is different. Of course, it's free, so you get what you pay for. So I won't gripe about it. :D

I transferred our LT accounts over to Goodreads and lots "failed".

I think Kylie (?) mentioned some way to get around it, but I haven't tried to.

You can change covers on goodreads, you just need to pick which edition you have. I do it all the time.

I do find though that sometimes, they don't always have the cover I have.

Goodreads used to be terrific with the different editions and covers, but since they stopped getting their data from Amazon (because Amazon wanted to charge them too much), it has gone way down in quality, in my opinion. I find it a lot more difficult to find my edition, and when I do, the title often has Kindle tagged to the end, which frustrates me to no end. What I mean is, the Kindle edition often seems to match my paperback edition (cover, number of pages etc) but I don't like to add it to my library because it'll be listed as a Kindle edition.

Pontalba, yes, there's definitely a way to add multiple editions, but they don't make it easy. I had quite an argument with them, as I recall, and several people backed me up (I think you did too?) but basically they said they won't change it because the way it used to be (i.e. easy to add multiple editions) confused a few computer illiterate people.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm ready to move on. I'd really like to use this Collectorz software, but I have a couple of issues. The software would cost me about $50. Eek, I think. But OK, I could perhaps handle that given the amount of functions it has. However, if I wanted to download the associated app for my iPad so I could have a list with me when I go book shopping (which I would really want), that's an extra $10.50. Then they want another $8.50 if I want to download their Android barcode scanning app to make it faster for me to add my books. Egads! :(

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm ready to move on. I'd really like to use this Collectorz software, but I have a couple of issues. The software would cost me about $50. Eek, I think. But OK, I could perhaps handle that given the amount of functions it has. However, if I wanted to download the associated app for my iPad so I could have a list with me when I go book shopping (which I would really want), that's an extra $10.50. Then they want another $8.50 if I want to download their Android barcode scanning app to make it faster for me to add my books. Egads! :(

I too don't mind the look of collectorz, and being a gamer, wouldn't mind cataloging them too. If I were to do that though that would cost me another $10.50 on top of your $50. Very pricey considering there are websites out there that can do it for free or cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep a list of the books I've read in 2012 on my tumblr. I'm also on a Dutch Harry Potter forum where there is a topic to keep track of and shortly discuss the books you've read in a year, and you keep a list. This exists for TV episodes and movies as well.

Of the sites mentioned here, I have a Goodreads account that is up to date. I post very short reviews and rate them, and I do have a few shelves. I like it because I can add books I read years ago as well. I have a LibraryThing account, but I have to update that and I made the account when I was procrastinating school work.

Edit: When trying to import the books from my Goodreads account to LibraryThing, I noticed LibraryThing has a limit of 200 books (which in my case is ridiculously low). I refuse to pay for a service like that if I can do it for free elsewhere, so I won't be updating that account.

I also remembered that I downloaded the program "Delicious Library" for free. It works like collectorz at first glance. I really like it!

Edited by Alexander the Great

I just looked up Collectorz. It looks pretty awesome. I think there are other similar programs that do the same sort of things (perhaps cheaper), but I think I might give Collectorz a go. I have been looking for something like this for a while, and it looks to be extremely detailed (which means it will keep me occupied for many, many hours!)

I've been using Book Collector for a little while now and it's pretty great. I downloaded the barcode scanner for my Android phone and it scans my books pretty quickly. I still have loads to go though, and I want to get them all into my database in the next few weeks. It's great for finding the exact covers of my particular editions (much better than Goodreads) and lots of information about each book.

The only small problem I have is the way it displays the books in one section. I would like to be able to arrange my books into folders, but it only has a weird (to me) sorting system, which I haven't gotten used to yet. I think I can get around it, but it requires a little more work on my part.