Eurovision 2011

SueK

I might just watch this tomorrow. I'm not bothered about Blue but I think they have a chance of not getting Nil Points. The problem is we don't have an "ia" at the end of our country - oh wait! we should call ourself Britannia in future.

I want to see what a laugh Jedward will be. They have got thru to the Finals and I caught a glimpse of them on youtube. What a pair of ............. :D

I'm no fan of Jedward (can't stand them, actually), but they got through fair and square last night with a fairly decent performance that was ironically only let down a little by one of their backing singers - LOL! They were certainly no worse than any of the other performers. They're song is annoyingly catchy. I just wish they wouldn't wear their hair like that though - they're actually quite normal looking and (dare I say it?) quite cute with their hair down! Even if you hate them, you have to admit, they're pure Eurovison!

The UK's score will hinge entirely on the guy who sings the high notes. If he fluffs them, we're sunk. We'll not win anyway, but they're the best chance we've had since we last won it in 1997 when we had Katrina and the Waves singing Love Shine a Light. It may be an omen, but Italy last competed that year too and they've finally returned this year... could this be a sign?

I think the dark horse runner could be Finland with Da Da Dam. He put in a chirpy and very good performance in the first semi final. I don't particularly like the song, but it's very catchy. The odds dropped significantly after he qualified for the final. Dale got in a bet before he went through at odds of 50/1. He came in to 16/1 right after. I think he stands a very good chance of at least finishing top 4.

Marvellous as the French artist is, I don't understand why he's the favourite. Yes, he can sing, but the operatic song is very dull and really doesn't appeal to me at all.

My favourite song is actually the one sung by last year's winner. the German entry sounds like a cross between kate Nash and Sam Sparro and is very, very good. However, I don't think she can win it for them two years running. I'd like it if she did, but I don't see it happening.

Wow, you certainly know your Eurovision Kell! I'm impressed. :cool:

I haven't heard any of the other entries (OH was watching on BBC 3 last night) and he thought Jedward were pure Eurovision too!

I usually try to skip the songs and watch the voting but I shall give it all a go tomorrow.

I'm a MASSIVE Euro-geek (and so's my hubby!). We watch it (and both the semi finals) every year. I've been watching every year since I was 9 years old (and have only missed one year because I was completely unable to get the night off work - it was the year Dana International won it).

In fact, we're such BIG Euro-fans that we do our research far in advance and actually listen to the entry songs as they are confirmed. Yes, we listen to them months in advance. Not only that, but on our iPod, we have various Eurovision songs from previous years that we liked so much we just kept playing them! (2006 and 2008 were particularly good years).

Hubby and I had only been together for 6 weeks when Eurovision 2000 was on and when I discovered he was also a fan, that sealed the deal for me. I knew it was meant to be! :D

It may be an omen, but Italy last competed that year too and they've finally returned this year... could this be a sign?

I like your positive thinking.

Unfortunately I can't help think Jeward are just the sort of thing that Eurovision would love and will probably do better than Blue even though Blue can actually sing.

Is there some significance to Jedwards shoulder decorations ?

I can't believe how much you know about it all Kell it I can barely remember who was on the act before whenever I watch

:D Thats an excellent idea I think you should contact someone in charge (Kell will probably know who)and suggest it.

I can't remember his name, but he's right there watching it all. They actually had him on camera at both semi finals and I have completely forgotten his name.

Interesting Eurofact for you all though. Of this years final 25 acts, only three do not contain any lyrics in Eglish - France (in Corsican), Spain (in Spanish) and Serbia (in Serbian). The rest are all either entirely in English or contain some English lyrics in it - Bosonia Herzegivina (Bosnian/English), Hungary (Hungarian/English), Greece (Greek/English), Russia (Russian/English),and Italy (Italian/English). So there are a total of 17 finalists singing entirely in English (although Lithuania includes two phrases in French).

I don't remember such an English-language-heavy final before now!

I watched both semi-finals this week and I must admit I didn't like most of the song.

The one I really enjoyed was the Finnish one - I really like Paradise Oskar. I also enjoyed Estonia and Denmark. Well, and yes, I like Lena and her song (I must admit, I like the whole CD with all the songs from which Taken by a stranger was chosen).

The French artist is great, but I don't understand why he is the favourite, either. And I must admit, I don't really know the song Britain will perform. Well, I will see it tomorrow :)

I heard an interesting item on the news this afternoon saying that one of the reasons the UK often doesn't get any votes is because the other countries think we treat it as a joke, and that by choosing an established band with a good reputation in other European countries (the song is already a hit in some of them) we might actually receive some votes this year!

I might watch the Eurovision, but I've become quite dishartened with it. Firstly, Terry Wogans commentary is greatly missed by me, and it doesnt seem to matter who we enter, it just seems we don't do very well in the voting!

not to put a huge damper on the thread, but id like for us to win once :D

With the usual block voting we won't get anywhere again this year.

We have quite an even spread of east and west in the final this year though. In previous years, it's been dominated by eastern bloc countries, but that's not as evident this year. All but one of the Nordic countries got in for a start, and adding those to the Big 5, you've got 9 western eurpoe countries already. Then you have Denmark, Ireland, Greece. All entrants (even those who don't qualify for the final) get to vote, so yes, there'll still be some political/bloc voting, but there are more western finalists there to get a chance this time round and I'm hoping that will make a difference. I actually think there's a fairly decent chance that next year's competition will be held in a western country again.

I might watch the Eurovision, but I've become quite dishartened with it. Firstly, Terry Wogans commentary is greatly missed by me, and it doesnt seem to matter who we enter, it just seems we don't do very well in the voting!

not to put a huge damper on the thread, but id like for us to win once :D

We still really miss El Tel too, but I was surprised at how well Norton did when he stepped into teh breach as I'm certainly no fan of his. And with Ireland qualifying this year, he'll be over the moon excited, which could be fun!

I don't think the UK wil lwin it, but I thin kwe have a good chance of finishing well, certainly in the top 10, if not the top 5. Blue are our best hope in years and I hope their being our entry this year will prove to be a turning point for UK to take the competition a little more seriously and get really good writers and established performers ni to do the honours representing us. I was talking ot a colleague tonight and we both think Gary Barlow should write and perform for us next year - that would be awesome!

We still really miss El Tel too, but I was surprised at how well Norton did when he stepped into teh breach as I'm certainly no fan of his. And with Ireland qualifying this year, he'll be over the moon excited, which could be fun!

I don't think the UK wil lwin it, but I thin kwe have a good chance of finishing well, certainly in the top 10, if not the top 5. Blue are our best hope in years and I hope their being our entry this year will prove to be a turning point for UK to take the competition a little more seriously and get really good writers and established performers ni to do the honours representing us. I was talking ot a colleague tonight and we both think Gary Barlow should write and perform for us next year - that would be awesome!

I have to say I'm not really a fan of Norton either, but he was for me better than I thought aswell!

I agree with you about blue too. its nice to have established artists to take part, and also I think they are quite well known in europe, so that could be a bit of an advantage for us! Gary Barlow would be awesome too!

I have not watched the eurovision for a couple of years now, but it is interesting to watch and I just love it when the commentators say 'nil points' I really hope the UK do much better this year, especially as Blue are a very well established band, and if they are together again after the eurovision I will definitely be buying their CD, they were the boyband I loved the most during my teens and I was very sad when they split up :(

However I am going to a friends tonight for movies and a take away so I'll have to catch up on all the eurovision gossip from the beeb :)

I didn't watch this last night but after checking out the results on Digital Spy this morning I'm glad we didn't come last. Being placed 11th with 100 points is pretty respectable in my opinion.

Very respectable finish for the UK - 10 times more points than last year and we finished on the left hand saide of the leader board. I hope this means the powers that be will realise we have to use big names and great writing from now on.

I was actually really pleased to see jedard do so well - finishing 8th is no slouch and they got 3 lots of 12 points (we only got one full marks). I actualy hope they return to do it again next year because they put in a great performance.

I didn't afree with Azerbaijan winning it - I wasn't surprised the song did well, but I thought the performance last night was somewhat lacking.

Overall though I thought it was a great show (with the exception of the exceedingly dull interval entertainment - didn't think much of Jan Delay at all), and I loved the rendition of last year's winning song performed in a different style by the presenters (because last years winner was competing again) - it was better than the version they won with last year!

Well Jan Delay and Stefan Raab has a history together - Jan singing in a show by Stefan and Jan judging in the Eurovision preselection - so no surprise for me that he was singing yesterday. But actually, he is really well liked in Germany.

Can anyone explain to me why Greece got so many points? I thought that this attempt of rapping was awful. Beside that: I enjoyed the show. I'm a bit sad that Finnland and Estonia got such a little amount of points but I like the winner song and I'm happy for Denmark, top 5 is something!

Oh and I liked the English song!

Of course I'm also glad that Lena made the top 10. I really liked her performance yesterday!

Looking forward to next year ESC!

Can anyone explain to me why Greece got so many points? I thought that this attempt of rapping was awful.

I couldn't understand it either. It was absolutely dire on every level!

I had to laugh that UK gave Moldova 10 points :D They were so funny with those meter-high hats. Did we (UK) want to give the competition a bit of a scare? I quite liked the winning song I've been trying to remember what it reminded me of and I think it's Annie Lennox' song about the little Vampire. The favourite didn't do all that well (France) and I thought Blue looked very nervous. Still Bulgaria must be our new best friends for giving us Deuze Points!

Thought it was a very good production though - some stunning staging.

Azerbaijan will be an interesting venue indeed. The Caspian Sea is a lake but a very big one. They are one of the only countries that can afford to host it with the oil they boast. Not a bad winner either as their song was decent.

Eurovision was much better this year because it was more of a song contest and less political. The voting was much closer and it was only really at the end that Azerbaijan started to pull away a little. Sweden did not suprise me finishing third with their Justin Bieber but Italy were shock second place finishers with a pretty poor song. Greece also did better than expected.

Moldova and Bosnia were amongst the poor acts. Well done to Blue and Jedward on finishing in the left hand side of the table, a very respectable effort even if both the performances were poor to say the least. Enjoyable evening on the whole and my decision to watch Eurovision over Britain's Got Talent was a justifiable one!

Well that went well, more countries voted for us this year than expected, I love eurovision, I adore Blue and thought they would do very well for us, did they have problems with the sound system, didnt seem to be coming across very well. Cannot stand Jedward but ended up bopping along to this stupid record.

Oh well we can try again next year