Matched by Ally Condie

Christie

Matched by Ally Condie, The New York Times latest bestseller is a the first in a dystopian trilogy and I loved it! Here is a synopsis:

On her seventeenth birthday, Cassia meets her Match. Society dictates he is her perfect partner for life.

Except he’s not.

In Cassia’s society, Officials decide who people love.

How many children they have.

Where they work.

When they die.

But, as Cassia finds herself falling in love with another boy, she is determined to make some choices of her own.

And that’s when her whole world begins to unravel . . .

Has anyone else read this? I reccomend it if you haven't!

I read it and enjoyed it a lot, I've gotten very into dystopian ya books lately, and this is one of the better ones I've read! I'm looking forward to the second one :D

Good times hen :)

Hi Christie, how are you? I finished 'Matched' this morning and I enjoyed it, here is my review ~

The Story ~

'Matched' is the story of Cassia Reyes, a 17 year old girl who lives in a unknown dystopian society where everything is decided by The Officials, where you live, where you work, who you will marry and when you will die, which has been accepted by society because they have never experienced anything else, everything is as it should be. 'Matched' begins with the Matching ceremony, an occasion that Cassia and her lifelong friend, Xander Carrow and other 17 year old teenagers have been looking forward to, the matching ceremony will decide who you should be matched to and be married to by the age of 21, there is an system to the matching, the matches are in alphabetical order according to the girl's surnames, as the girl watches the screen in the banqueting hall, a boy appears, they have found their match.

Cassia's match turns out to a shock to Cassia and her family because it has never occurred before, Cassie has been matched to her best friend, Xander, which Xander and Cassia are happy about and look forward to their future together but as Cassia soon finds out, her life cannot be mapped out so easily, when she finds herself falling in love with Ky Markham, a quiet boy from her neighbourhood, he is more aware of the world around him that Cassia realises and the more time Cassia spends with Ky, the more she learns that she does not live in such a perfect society.

What I thought of 'Matched' ~

As some of you know I am a big fan of the dystopia genre and 'Matched' for me definitely covers what I like to see in a dystopia novel, there are strong characters, Cassia is a wonderfully written character, I love how you saw her change as the book progressed, it shows the changes a teenager goes through with the additional bonus of Cassia living in a so called perfect society. Ky, the boy Cassia falls in love with, is a great character, very unassuming but a major influence on Cassia, Xander, the boy who Cassia is matched is a surprising character, well for me, he was, excellent to read.

A well written, interesting book to start a series with, I have high hopes for the next two books in the trilogy, the second book 'Crossed' is due for release on the 1st November this year.

Rating ~ 10/10

Thank you for the awesome review Weave! It truly reflects what I thought about the book!

Thanks Christie, are you looking forward to the sequel? :)

Oh yes! I have already pre-ordered it on Amazon! That's how much I'm looking forward to it! I bet you are also?

Definitely, I have pre~ordered it too :)

I really enjoyed Matched (dystopia is one of my fave genres) and I'm really looking forward to the sequel! Here's my review:

Cassia lives in a future world where everything is controlled by Society. People where different colour uniforms depending on their status, meals - all nutritionally tailored for the individual - are supplied. Even death is controlled.

The story starts with Cassia about to attend the ceremony where she gets to find out who she is to be Matched with,.ie. who she'll marry when she's older. For most people this is usually someone they've never met before but Cassia's match ends up being her best friend, Xander. The matchees are given data cards with information about their match, obviously pointless to Xander and Cassia, they grew ip together after all but Cassia decides to take a look anyway, only to have a picture of another boy flash up on the screen briefly. Cassia wonders if there has been some mistake. Could it be that this boy is actually her match. It's strange because Society doesn't make mistakes and even stranger because she also knows the other boy, Ky.

In lots of ways, Matched is very typical of dystopian fiction. An 'ideal' world where everything is controlled to the extreme, supposedly for the good of the people and a protagonist who starts to doubt the rules. It's a very well written and interesting story. There's probably not enough depth to some of the characters but I think that will come with future books in the series. It would have been too overwhelming to go too much into this as well as setting up and explaining the storyworld. Saying that however, I adored both the relationship between Cassia and Xander and that which grew between Cassia and Ky.

Throughout, the book was really enjoyable and was one that I could have quite easily read through in one go if I'd had the time to be able to do that. The only part I was slightly disappointed in was the ending as there didn't really seem to be one. However, having now seen that it is the first of a planned trilogy, it wasn't such a bad way to finish up; especially as it's left me wanting the next book right now!

• 4 months later...

I am in the middle of reading this book and it is really well written. I almost feel as though I am in the other world and I love it. I get to imagine everything that is going on which I think is really important for an author to be able to help the reader to do. You want them to feel that they are really a part of the story. Anyways, I love it so far and I am already wanting to read the sequel and I haven't even finished this one quite yet. :)

• 5 months later...

I made a really good deal on this book, there was a special offer, two of these books for the price of one. I thought it was pretty strange, because why would anyone want to have two the same books? But my colleague wanted the book as well, so we bought them together. I got it for €5,00 (sorry, I don't know how much $ or £ that is) :smile:

I finished it in one day and I really liked it. I'm looking forward to read the sequel :smile:

I finished 'Crossed' (Matched ~ Book 2), I enjoyed it but I preferred 'Matched', I'm looking forward to the third and final instalment :)

Edited by Weave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Ok so I finished reading this last week and I'm afraid to say I got bored with it. :o

It started off really good but then it just fizzled out for me :banghead:

I'm in no hurry to read the second one although I probably will because I'd like to see how it ends.

I found there were some very strong similarities to The Hunger Games and it looks like there will be a

rebellion

too.

Shame really it started off so good.

Ok so I finished reading this last week and I'm afraid to say I got bored with it. :o

It started off really good but then it just fizzled out for me :banghead:

I'm in no hurry to read the second one although I probably will because I'd like to see how it ends.

I found there were some very strong similarities to The Hunger Games and it looks like there will be a

rebellion

too.

Shame really it started off so good.

That's exactly how I felt about it too, except that I have no intentions of reading the next one in the series!