The Crimson Petal and the White

SueK

I'd read they were filming or planning it a while back, have they said when it will be roughly, what season.....spring hopefully! I suppose if it is coming soon that usually means very soon, well when the adverts say coming soon they do...can't wait, but also nervous, hope they do it justice! I can't lie I will be annoyed at anyone who watches it and thinks they know the story without having read the book before or after. :)

I absolutely adored this book, and wanted to make sure I finished it before the programme was broadcast, as I always prefer to have read the source material first. The press pack has been released today, so I would expect it to be included in the schedule released this week or next, which would place it to start in the first or second week of April. I almost don't want to watch it as I loved the book so much though :lurker:

I almost don't want to watch it as I loved the book so much though :lurker:

This is the problem with so many adaptations and why I didn't want to watch Pillars of the Earth! Not having read Crimson Petal yet (I have got the book but it's not up the top of the pile yet) I may well watch and then read the book. I have seen some trailers on TV so would think it is imminent.

• 3 weeks later...

I've watched a couple of clips now, and heard it discussed on The Review Show on BBC2, and I've decided that I'm not going to watch the series. I loved the book so much, and I don't want to spoil the memory of it by watching something that doesn't do it justice.

Gah! Just read an article in the Guardian by Michel Faber talking about the adaptation, and far from the reviews I've heard, it sounds like they might actually have stayed true to some of the themes of the book that I thought might be lost. Now I have no idea whether to watch it or no! :dunno: Will have to record it and decide later, I think.

I watched the 1st episode last night on BBC2. I thought was very good and really quite dark. I've no idea how true to the book it is though. I've got the book on TBR and I picked it up after the showing and flicked through the pages. It was about page 200 (ish) that they got to last night and some of the dialogue seemed true to the book. I will watch it and then have to read it methinks :)

Edited by SueK

Have you got Sky? You could record it?

I have got sky but one of those old fashioned ones that don't record.

I am thinking about reading the book then catching it all on the I-player seeing as how most of the reviews say its easy to read but was hoping there would be a few more opinions on the show itself here to see if it was worthwhile the hurrying.

I did flick over a saw a tiny bit near the end where there was no dialogue so that wasn't a very good example.

Edited by Easy Reader

I usually prefer to watch film/TV adaptations first as there are still some surprises left in the book (because they always cut things out). That way I can enjoy both as seperate entities, rather than loving a book and being disappointed by its adaptation. I might have to get hold of this series to watch as I have the boko on Mount TBR and if I like the series it will most likely encourage me to get to it sooner.

It happened with Inkheart - I watched and loved the film, then the book blew me away! :)