Delirium by Lauren Oliver

nursenblack

Delirium by Lauren Oliver is one of the new young adult 2011 releases that I was really looking forward to. I finished it a few days ago. From what I can gather on the internet I believe Delirium is the first of a trilogy.

41PC287CxIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Review from Amazon.com

Lena Haloway is content in her safe, government-managed society. She feels (mostly) relaxed about the future in which her husband and career will be decided, and looks forward to turning 18, when she’ll be cured of deliria, a.k.a. love. She tries not to think about her mother’s suicide (her last words to Lena were a forbidden “I love you”) or the supposed “Invalid” community made up of the uncured just beyond her Portland, Maine, border. There’s no real point—she believes her government knows how to best protect its people, and should do so at any cost. But 95 days before her cure, Lena meets Alex, a confident and mysterious young man who makes her heart flutter and her skin turn red-hot. As their romance blossoms, Lena begins to doubt the intentions of those in power, and fears that her world will turn gray should she submit to the procedure. In this powerful and beautifully written novel, Lauren Oliver, the bestselling author of Before I Fall, throws readers into a tightly controlled society where options don’t exist, and shows not only the lengths one will go for a chance at freedom, but also the true meaning of sacrifice. --Jessica Schein

My snopsis and review

Delirium is the new YA novel by Lauren Oliver, author of Before I Fall. Set in the future (sixty-four years after love is declared a disease by the US president) in Portaland, Maine, love has been almost eradicated. The 'cure' for deliria nervosa is a procedure that is designed to make a person unable to love and therfore easier to control. The procedure can only be performed after the age of eighteen. Seventeen year-old Lena thinks the cure is a good thing and eagerly awaits her procedure and evalutaion, which will determine her fate and her future mate. But all that changes when she meets Alex. From there on, her beliefs about the world are gradually turned upside down.

I'm in love with Delirium as I was Oliver's debut novel, Before I Fall. Delirium is intriguing and emotional. I can't wait to find out what happens next.(5/5)

Supposedly, the next two books are titled Pandemonium and Requiem, but I have no idea what the release dates are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Delirium is a really great book! Here's my review:

Lena lives in a society where, at the age of eighteen, every person goes through a procedure knows as the 'Cure'. Being cured eradicates the ability to love, as love is considered an illness. Without love there's no pain. Lena is looking forward to being cured, she's even counting down the days. At least she is until she meets Alex.

The society and world that Lena lives in is explained really well in this book. Dystopian worlds are often difficult to get into as not enough description leaves the reader not understanding what's going on and too much explanation can just be a bit dull. Delirum manages to find the perfect balance. It was refreshing to see a futuristic world where not everything is highly technological. Only the very rich can afford to run a car because of the price of fuel and there's no alternative so people like Lena walk everywhere. Lena's family only has one cell phone between them which isn't even very good. The only real scientific advancement we see is the medical development of the cure.

As a character I didn't find Lena easy to warm to but in some ways that worked. Although those under the age of eighteen are able to feel love, it is highly discouraged with boys and girls are segregated at all times and a curfew for the uncured. There's also a detachment between children and their parents with something as simple as comforting a crying child being seen as a sign that the adult may not be completely cured. So, at the start of the book, Lena wasn't such a loveable character because of this. Further into the book it became easier to get attached to her and care about her outcome.

I really enjoyed reading the book. I'd heard a lot of hype about it before reading and I'm always a little concerned about those books living up to it but in Delirium's case I wasn't disappointed. I'm looking forward to the sequel, Pandemonium, which is due out in 2012