Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series

Debbie

Has anyone read any of this series?

I started them but they are now on about book 12 and no sign of the story ending, so I am getting rather bored with them now. When the last one that came out was a prequel I got really cross!

Debbie

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a series where I am enraptured by the setting and the Fantasy World. The books are great, and there are insights into character, but as you say it takes a lot to keep a story interesting over 12 volumes and I think it's struggling. He needed the pre-quel for breathing room I reckon - maybe taking longer on the 13th will improve it? Who knows. Whichever it is wont stop me buying it.

• 4 weeks later...

The next one "Knife of Dreams, is released in October.

As the very fabric of reality wears thin all portents indicate that Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, is imminent - and Rand al'Thor must ready himself to confront the Dark One. But Rand must first negotiate a truce with the Seanchan armies, as their forces increasingly sap his strength. Perrin has made his own desperate truce with the Seanchan - he would deal with the Dark One himself to save his wife Faile from the Shaido. Meanwhile, Mat is caught up in a reckless escape from Ebou Dar with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons. But Tuon is in fact in deadly danger from her Seanchan countrymen. Mat will have to risk much to prevail and still win her as his bride. All is in flux as established powers falter...In Caemlyn, Elayne fights to gain the Lion Throne while trying to avert civil war and Egwene finds that even the White Tower is no longer a place of safety. The winds of time have whirled into a storm, and Rand and his companions ride in the vortex. This small company must prevail against the trials of fate and fortune - or the Dark One will triumph and the world will be lost.

• 1 year later...

I'm not one to really give up on a series, but I finally did on the Wheel of Time. The first five books were fantastic!

I was buying the hard bound issues as soon as they hit the shelf. Often 16 months between new editions.

....and then it got bogged down and I couldn't remember all the threads and the people's names after such a long time. Frustrating, I'm sure many will swear by the series; but I just ran out of gas.

:)

I believe that Robert Jordan has created what may be somewhat of a Classic in the Wheel Of Time series. However, books 8, 9, and 10, were quite below par. Book 11, Knife Of Dreams improved considerably over the previous 3 books. I recommend the series to all fans of Sci-Fi / Fantasy. The first 5 or 6 books were especially great reading.I believe that the series will end in the next 1 or maybe 2 books.

Gonna have to read the book, I reckon. :)

Yep, agree. It would ruin part of the reading to give out too much info.

If anyone does start the series I strongly recommend that you read them in sequence. As a matter of fact they actually "have' to be read in sequence. :smile2:

• 6 months later...
Robert Jordan has passed away....R.I.P.

I do wonder what will happen to the Wheel Of Time Series. Will someone finish it.

That is really bad news for my mum, who loves all his books! (For her birthday recently she sent me on a wild goose chase to find her book no 12 - which of course I later found out that he hadn't written yet!)

Anyway, I heard that his son was going to finish the series.....

• 8 months later...

I am waiting for the series to end before I start to read it, my uncle has the series sitting on a shelf staring at me every time I visit, but i just know I would forget parts if I were to finish them and be waiting for the next to be written :lol:

Ooh, I'm glad you brought up this thread Renius. I was standing in a sci-fi/fantasy bookshop the other day trying to remember the name of the series or author but failed. Thanks for reminding me! Off to add the series to my wish list before I forget again.

• 3 months later...

Yes, Brandon Sanderson has been commissioned to complete the series, and he will be using all of Jordon's copious notes and outlines to do so. He is currently halfway through and the Memory of Light is slated for release sometime in late 2009. This will be the final book and Sanderson promises to wrap up all the loose ends.

Robert Jordan has passed away....R.I.P.

I do wonder what will happen to the Wheel Of Time Series. Will someone finish it.

• 1 month later...

Oh so that's the name of the last book - Memory of Light. sounds interesting.

i love this series. i was so sad when i heard that Robert Jordan died. I'm glad that there's someone who can finish it though, it would be a shame to leave it off unfinished.

Oh a piece of advice for anyone who hasn't read any of the books yet, Do Not start with the prequel it will make absolutely no sense. Oh and the encyclopedia The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time is definitely worth a look, it answers quite a few questions.

I'm reading this series right now - well, I've just finished the fourth book and I'm waiting for the fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth to be delivered. Personally I find the series ok-ish but I've found some of the actions of the characters are annoying. I agree with Debbie that they are probably likely to get more boring as I read more of them.

Not my favourite series certainly, but they're quite good and I'll definatly have to finish reading them all; if just to find out what happens.

• 1 month later...

I've been reading the series and The Great Hunt is my favorite for now but the one thing I dislike about the books is that when the climax (huge fighting scene) is reached you get so into the book that you automatically want to read the next one. Then when you start reading it you got back into maybe 400 straight pages of exposition where there might not be any really interesting scenes at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought books 1-3 were great and was excited that there was a good fantasy author out there. I kept going up to book 10 or 11 and found the plot had seriously lost itself and all that happened was talking. Pages and pages of it, not going anywhere in particular. I was disappointed and gave up, which I rarely do!

I thought books 1-3 were great and was excited that there was a good fantasy author out there. I kept going up to book 10 or 11 and found the plot had seriously lost itself and all that happened was talking. Pages and pages of it, not going anywhere in particular. I was disappointed and gave up, which I rarely do!

Agreed. I'm now just finishing book 10. Book 11 is the latest one I believe, and 12 is being published in 09 by another author. I enjoyed the books nearer the begining, but like you said, it's lost itself. This will be the first series of books I'll be happy to finish :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

i have been wanting to read the wheel of time series for a while now. i have 3 of the books but i am yet to find the first one in a charity shop (it will take time but im on a budget!) i get bookd of ebay too.. and i got quite a few after xmas. from what i have read here it is encourageing me to get looking for the first one again!

Guest ProzacKitteh

3 times now I've tried to get through this series! each time I get halfway through the 3rd book before getting tired of them, then I put them aside and when I go to pick up where I left off I've forgotten everything - so I go back to book one and the cycle repeats itself :)