Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a delightful chore! enjoy your sorting :smile2:

Thanks shirleyz, it was indeed pleasant. Although I now have about 10-15 books that don't fit anywhere. And when I went to the library, I took a look at the free book trolley and came home with these:

Paul Lazarsfeld (ed.): The Use of Sociology

Somerset Maugham: Theatre

Henryk Sienkiewicz: Quo Vadis

I desperately need a new bookcase, or at least a new cardboard box :giggle2:

I finished The Motorcycle Diaries.

How did you enjoy this?

I finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian yesterday evening

Any good?

Today I have to rearrange my bookcases and shelves to fit in ~50 books in the already close quarters, it's going to take a lot of squeezing. I already had to customize one more cardboard box for the books but I don't think that'll fit in everything. It's a very relaxing, joyful task but I'm a bit anxious because I have no idea how to arrange the books and which books to put in the cardboard box. I think I have to to arrange them according to the 1001 Books list, but I don't know where to put those. And should I create a certain nook for the books that have been recommended by the members of BCF (which I probably will do), and where to put them, and where to put the books that don't fall into any of my currently existing categories.

Ooh, that sounds like so much fun! Don't stress too much about it - you will get it all looking lovely in no time. :) I hope you post pics.

I read several books while I was away and found some really terrific bookshops. I bought quite a few books and I'll post about them in my thread later. Today or tomorrow I'll be cataloguing my new books and shelving them. :D

Ooh, that sounds like so much fun! Don't stress too much about it - you will get it all looking lovely in no time. :) I hope you post pics.

I read several books while I was away and found some really terrific bookshops. I bought quite a few books and I'll post about them in my thread later. Today or tomorrow I'll be cataloguing my new books and shelving them. :D

I did get it all sorted and it was fun, but to my dismay there are now 10-15 books that I can't get squeezed in anywhere. I moved my tiny table with wheels into the bedroom next to my bed and infront of the bookcase, and now it'll have to serve as a table for those books. It works great, I can have my night lamp attached to it and can put my cell phone and the book I'm reading on it when I go to bed. I should've done it ages ago. The new arrangement in the bookcase doesn't look very pretty and I'm not wholly satisfied but it'll have to do.

I cannot wait to see which books you read, which shops you went to and which books you bought! So get writing missy! :giggle2:

I started reading Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard yesterday, I'm absolutely loving it. My sincere thanks to everyone who've kept raving about her books here on the forum, if it wasn't for you I don't think I would've found this gem! :friends3:

Any good?

Hi Kylie - yes I enjoyed this book. It was a very fast read and I think the author found a very original way of linking past events with the present story, helping the reader to better understand the reasons behind some of the characters' actions/points of view.

Besides that, the present day story is actually quite funny (nothing to do with tractors), and it made me look at family duty, ageing parents and growing siblings in a different light...

Edited by shirleyz

I read two books on my kindle while away; 'Finding Sky' by Joss Stirling and 'Aberystwyth Mon Amour' by Malcolm Pryce. I really enjoyed both. :D

'Finding Sky' was a YA fantasy / supernatural book about a young girl with a very troubled but forgotten past moving to the US with her adoptive parents and what happens when she meets a local bad boy with his own deeply held secrets. Although a tad more depth in the later scenes would have been great I really enjoyed this original twist to a girl-meets-boy tale.

'Aberystwyth Mon Amour' is a book I have been avoiding as Malcolm Pryce is always recommended to readers who have read and enjoyed Jasper Fforde, and I wanted to steer clear of any imitators. I should not have listened to that cynical voice in my head. I loved this quirky take on Aberystwyth itself and the residents. Louie Knight is a protagonist worth reading about and I will definitely be reading more about this Welsh Phillip Marlow.

I'm still reading Emotional Geology, and loving it! I just sat a half hour on my balcony with the book and a glass of cider, but unfortunately it's a bit too cold and I had to come inside eventhough I had a blanket wrapped around me to try and keep me warm. But no worries, I'll just curl up in my arm chair and continue on with the book. :smile2:

About of a third of the way through The Magicians Guild and thoroughly enjoying it, need to get it finished as just got a dispatch email from Amazon to say Dead Reckoning, the latest in the Charlaine Harris True Blood series is on its way, very very excited!!!!

I'm still reading Emotional Geology, and loving it! I just sat a half hour on my balcony with the book and a glass of cider, but unfortunately it's a bit too cold and I had to come inside eventhough I had a blanket wrapped around me to try and keep me warm. But no worries, I'll just curl up in my arm chair and continue on with the book. :smile2:

Mmm, sounds like a nice, cosy day! Glad you're enjoying Emotional Geology. I know how excited you were to get the book. :)

I finished Water For Elephants a couple of days ago, loved it! can't wait to see the movie.

I just started Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris.

If you see the movie before me, be sure to let me know what it's like! I read the book a year or two ago so I'm not likely to notice if they've made too many changes from the book.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on Grave Surprise as I have this on my TBR pile.

Finished Living Dolls think I shall read Pigeon English next

Is Pigeon English a non-fiction book?

About of a third of the way through The Magicians Guild and thoroughly enjoying it, need to get it finished as just got a dispatch email from Amazon to say Dead Reckoning, the latest in the Charlaine Harris True Blood series is on its way, very very excited!!!!

I'm excited about Dead Reckoning too, but I still have the last couple of books to read, and I'll have to wait until this one comes out in paperback before I read it. :( I can't have non-matching editions on my shelves, after all!

Glad to hear you're enjoying The Magician's Guild. Most people seem to enjoy it but one particular member here really disliked it. giggle.gif I have it on my TBR pile.

I'm really enjoying The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson.

Great news! I have this one on my TBR pile as well. Is it typical Bryson humour?

I'm going to shelve my new books today and then hopefully settle down and get in a good bit of reading. I'm currently reading The Little Prince and Freakonomics, and both are excellent. :D