Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I sent a book to a fellow BCF member and I also went to a couple of secondhand bookshops. I got Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison, only for 1,50e total. My only complaint is that NfaSI is in Finnish, but I'll learn to deal with it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed all of The Rembrandt Secret last night, which I would duly recommend to you all. I've also started The Whole Truth by David Baldacci which looks like my cuppa' tea.

I bought Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee today for £1.49 in a charity shop to send to a friend who mentioned in passing (on a different, non-book, forum) that she'd like to read it. It should be a nice surprise for her when it turns up next week.

I haven't read anything today, but I will remedy that later. I'm nearly half way through Yes Man now and I'm enjoying it hugely. :)

I'm still reading Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. It's such a poorly written book, but it moves at a mile-a-minute, and so is quite easy and entertaining to read. It's a guilty pleasure. :giggle:

Just about to start '69' by Ryu Murakami and I bought from amazon yesterday ~

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

Back Home by Michelle Magorian

Desires of the Dead (Book 2 of the Body Finder series) by Kimberly Derting

Evernight (Afterlife series) by Claudia Gray (The final book in the series)

:bookworm:

I started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo earlier this week but just can't get into it. :(

I don't know if others agree, Abby, but Tattoo was very slow-going for me at the start as well. I'm really glad I stuck with it though because it soon got very interesting!

I haven't started anything new yet since Giants in the Earth, but I did go to Half Price Books today and picked up Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke :D. I also bought a Fantastic Mr. Fox sticker book :lol: I know I'm too old for that, but the book is after Wes Anderson's film version and I loved it so much I just had to have it.

I don't know if others agree, Abby, but Tattoo was very slow-going for me at the start as well. I'm really glad I stuck with it though because it soon got very interesting!

I agree!

My friend came over last night and checked out my library (first time she's seen it in a couple of years). She said she had expected to see a lot more books! Does that mean I should go out and buy a load of books? wink.gif I can't have anyone being disappointed in my library.

I'm about to start reading Elie Wiesel's Night.

I started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo earlier this week but just can't get into it. :(

I haven't started anything new yet since Giants in the Earth, but I did go to Half Price Books today and picked up Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke :D. I also bought a Fantastic Mr. Fox sticker book :lol: I know I'm too old for that, but the book is after Wes Anderson's film version and I loved it so much I just had to have it.

Abs you know I love the series, and like PF, it gets to a point, around the 275 mark where it just gets AMAZING!! keep going Abs.

As for me only read 30 pages. But working so bit here and bit there. Grrr.

But I'm planning my books for my holiday, whoop.

Decided to get a few new books for my Kindle, as I'm down to only four unread ones, so downloaded, the second in the Chaos Walking series, The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness, a My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking and Naked in Knightsbridge by Nicky Schmidt.

I'm still reading The Screwtape Letters, trying to get through it, but having time to read at the moment is a bit few and far between.

I've bought today, Marley and Me, and also The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

About 90 pages into Jane Austen's Emma at the moment. Interesting writing style she had - loads of dialogue, very little else. :huh: But it's getting somewhat more interesting, now (and I do have to write an essay on it), so I'll hang in there.

Received in the post

A Fine Balance ~ Rohinton Mistry (this is part of World Book Night distritution sent to me via Heaven-Ali in Bookcrossing)

Cuckoo ~ Julia Crouch (bookring run by Michelle)

Received in the post

A Fine Balance ~ Rohinton Mistry (this is part of World Book Night distritution sent to me via Heaven-Ali in Bookcrossing)

An excellent book, Inver, I hope you enjoy it :smile2:

My spirits have been revived by the YA genre again, and I've just finished reading Angel by L. A. Weatherly, the first of a trilogy, and can't believe I have to wait until June for the next installment.

I got 3 books from the library today

Torment - Lauren Kate

In the Woods - Tana French

Angel Fire East - Terry Brooks

the last being a desperate mesure to get at least 3 books to keep me going this week. :D

Back at home, with it being the 50th anniversary of the death of adventure writer Emilio Salgari (a legend in the genre now, but villainously underappreciated and underpaid in his own time bless him), his two best-loved series are coming out with the morning paper in pretty hardback editions reprinted from the illustrated originals. I have the best Mum in the world, and the first three (Il Corsaro Nero, I Pirati della Malesia and Le Tigri di Mompracem) await me across the waters :D want it to be Easter even more now!

I finished reading The Devils Star by Jo Nesbo yesterday, which to be honest was not the best read I have had. For me at least, it did not really get going until about 50 pages before the end, but it might be worth trying the next one in the series to see if that's any better.

I have now started reading a totally different book - a comedic travelogue based around one man's quest to win a £100 bet by hitchhiking around Ireland with a fridge ! The jacket warns you not to read the book in public as it's so funny, and three chapters in I am not disappointed. I think this one might be a bit more interesting ...