Crime Thriller Awards 2010

SueK

Blacklands was one that fired my imagination - it looks good. I quite fancy The Holy Thief - but I shall wait for the paperback to be published. I also like the sound of The Pull of the Moon.

I have read 'the way home' A few months ago, I found it quite enjoyable and was a fairly quick read. I also have Blacklands on mount to be read, may have to bump it up a bit now to see what all the fuss is about.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I read The Way Home and Blacklands last year. I have to say I personally preferred The Way Home as I felt as well as being a good crime novel it dealt well with issues that arise between Fathers and their sons and how the American juvenile system can let people down. It was also very fast paced and although the ending was a little predictable it did not spoil the book for me.

I thought Blacklands was a story that flowed really well and was very easy to read. For me however I found the characters a little one dimensional and also to get to the climax of the book Bauer had to cut a few corners. It was by no means a bad book but I had hoped for more after all the praise it had received. Her new novel Darkside has just been released and that is set in the same village as Blacklands and is also receiving lots of praise, I will definitely be giving it a read at some point in the future.