Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up some books from the post office yesterday:

F Scott Fitzgerald: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (I've read this in ebook format but wanted an actual copy)

Shirley Jackson: We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Jeff Lindsay: Dexter by Design

Gabriel Garcia Marquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

Ann M Martin: The Summer Before

I took a book on the search today and managed just a few pages. I had to take a secondhand book in case it got damaged, so I took A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne.

Edited by Kylie

I am about 50 pages in to Kafka on the Shore and so far I am LOVING it! :smile2::readingtwo:

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood arrived today in the mail. I am a bit miffed. The seller described it as "like new" and the spine has tons of creases and is beginning to curve. :hissyfit:

I guess it's not too bad. I only paid a penny for it plus shipping.

Have started my linwood Barclay - Too Close to Home so far so good.

Oooh, that's one of my fave thriller reads, I hope you enjoy it all the way :)

I'm getting on well with Trial & Retribution II. Lynda la Plante does not disappoint. 

Nice to see you back Rob. :)

Got a great haul from the lovely library after work. I could have got 12 but limited it to 9 because they're all hard backs and my knees started to buckle.

The council should have a delivery service. They could buy a pony or a donkey and everyone who uses it can pay towards its stables and upkeep.

And they can use the poo on the flower beds. Perfect. And no shattered vertebrae from over eager readers.

Ahem.

I got;

Stuart Macbride-Dark Blood (Yes!!! My very favourite author, I'm finally up to date. Gotta love Logan :) )

Tess Gerritsen-Keeping the Dead (I enjoyed the last Rizzoli and Isles book I read)

Roddy Doyle-The Dead Republic ( Usually like his novels)

Julian Clary-Devil in Disguise (What the Hell)

Harlan Coben-Long Lost (New to me in the crime stakes)

The Audacity of Hype-Armando Iannucci (Anyone who created Malcolm Tucker has to be worth a shot.)

Tell-All-Chuck Palahniuk (As recommended by forum dwellers)

Imperial Bedrooms- Bret Easton Ellis

The Devil in Amber-Mark Gatiss (As recommended by Chesilbeach :) I enjoyed the Vesuvius Club too.)

That should keep me out of trouble for a bit.

Hi Rob!

Well I'm taking 2 books with me on holiday (The Winner Stands Alone by Paulo Coelho - has been standing on the bookshelf since last October, and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller). I'm not sure if I'll read either of them, but you never know what the ol' mojo could be up to...

Just finished Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh (Very different to his other novels but it really grew on me)Now ploughing through Wolf Hall. Jury still out but this too is a grower.

Julian Clary-Devil in Disguise (What the Hell)

The Devil in Amber-Mark Gatiss (As recommended by Chesilbeach :) I enjoyed the Vesuvius Club too.)

I've loved both the Julian Clary books I've read this year, so I hope you like Devil In Disguise (I lent it to a friend who started it on his lunchbreak, then went home after work and sat in the garden until 11pm as he couldn't put it down!)

I'm sure you'll enjoy The Devil In Amber if you liked the first Lucifer Box book as well. Different era, but same writing and same humour!

I, meanwhile, have just finished Stolen by Lucy Christopher. It's the YA book telling the story of a teenager who is abducted, and takes the form of a letter she writes to her captor telling the story. You feel completely involved as it's first person narrative talking to the other person directly. Totally compelling and very thought provoking. One of my best reads of the year so far.

I finished Topics About Which I Know Nothing while up north, started and am about halfway through Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton, and last night I couldn't resist starting In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff. I was in the mood for an early 1900's old New York murder mystery, and man, I'm only 3 chapters in but it does not disappoint! :D

I'll put a review in my thread for the Ness book soon, now that I'm home and back in non-vacation mode, LOL.

I started Alice in Wonderland last night. The copy I own belonged to my Nanna and is falling apart so I'll only be reading it at home and taking Midnight's Children out and about.

I'm home and back in non-vacation mode, LOL.

Nice to have you back! :hug:

I'm now up to page 205 of Copycat and starting to get into it, just another 332 pages to go, just as well I'm enjoying it! ;)

Edited by Charm